What is intent?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by llong, Dec 23, 2005.

1. llong

llong Valued Member

Warning: I'm a beginner.

So, what is intent, specifically? I just spend hours talking to a friend of mine from the dojo, and we were really grappling with what it means.

Is it the nonphysical communication (or masking) of your desire?

Is it the intensification of one's desire to win a battle?

Or is it physical?

2. Fyran

Fyran New Member

I'm a beginner too, but I believe intent is basically the desire to do something. So I would have to choose the first answer, the non-physical communication of your desire.

3. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

Is it nonphysical communication of your desire?
    Yes
    Is it the intensification of one's desire to win a battle?
    Doesn't have to be.
    Is it physical?
    No
    What is intent?
    Intent is an emotional/mental/spiritual feeling. Intent can be sent in any form, but the reason to send it is it fool your opponent. Many people show intent by showing emotion. Like the elemental feelings of: earth, water, fire, wind and void. More advance ways of using intent is to disguise your intent then become another. Show stability, earth, in all your moves then when your opponent is confident you change your moves but not your intent. This transition will put you in a void. By doing this your opponent will faulter causing you to have a much better chance at winning. Then after that is established you can become a different feeling.

Other forms can be making people think you are going to the right by looking toward the right but instead your body moves to the left.
    Speaking something then boldy speaking a word shows intent.
    Etc.....

These some of the forms of intent.

4. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Intent simply means in training, when throwing a punch, you throw a punch with intent to hit your partner. So, if they don't dodge or block the punch you end up hitting them. It forces your partner to respond to the punch as he or she would in a real fight.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  5. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Or in other words, I will punch and if your there when it connects, I will take your head off.

That is intent.

6. xen

xen insanity by design

intent is being there, engaged directly in what you are doing.

lack of intent can be seen when someone is just 'going through the motions', not really concentrating, not really putting anything behind the movements.

if you attack with intent, although you know you aren't going to slice their head off, you put all the feeling behind the attack that you would if you were.

equally, if when you respond, you intend to be effective (as opposed to just hope :D ), your actions aquire a purpose and you offer a more effective challenge to your opponent.

intent can also be a bit of a double edged sword...as you understand it better, you get more susceptible to it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  7. littlesakura10

littlesakura10 New Member

hmm.... imo (only!) intent is bringing your Will to bear in a particular moment to create an outcome. whether this is done in harmony with the Universe or from emotional desires or an ego driven attachment on the outcome depends on the individual spirit.

for myself personally, intent comes from the spirit using the mind and the body as tools to achieve said outcome. in the dojo, behind a strike, perhaps intent could be described as the "feeling" you give to your opponent such as strength, determination, intimidation or even aggression.

this is the simplest explanation i can think of for you, for myself the explanation would go a little deeper than this - but i think it is different for each individual.
    i hope that helps. if i need to clarify or expand on this for you, please let me know!

8. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

Nice. Full intent working with full control.

I think that these concepts work together and are extremely important when training in arts that don't allow you to follow through with a technique in training. Weapons arts particularly but also unarmed techniques too. Putting yourself regularly in the frame of mind that will allow you to follow through if necessary is important but also to follow through only if you choose to. Not out of anger and not by accident.

9. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Not that you will try to take someone's head off. Immolation do you take any steroids? :D

10. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

The intent is to puch someone hard enough and make them move. The sakkai is done with intent. So why souldn't intent for a Tsuki not be done with intent?

And no I do not do steroids. Anabolics ruin the body.

11. Kalabora

Kalabora Valued Member

Welcome.
    Some call it Wa and others intent.
    Just practice maintaining a calm state of mind.
    This may help, it helped me anyway. "You must be calm as the water that you must."
    Think of that and see yourself floating in the water.
    You may (or should) feel more relaxed after this.
    Once your calm you will focus more on external things. You may "feel others emotions." or feel certain energies in time you will learn to sort through them.
    Perhaps this will let you feel others intent.
    Like things kind of seem to slow down before something important happens. (I don't know how to describe it but you probably know what I mean.)

MASKING:

Simpily focus on the end result of your intenting and you shouldn't give to much away.

Anyway, welcome to MAP and keep you focus. I've been gone for a while too due to technical difficulties of course.

Take refuge, Kalabora. :)

12. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I have to say the Xen's explanation is the best so far. Of course, as the years go by, one seems to redefine certain terms and feelings, intent being one. But for now, go with Xen's.

13. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

if its not there already maybe it should be a sticky in the FAQ?