The Tenets of Taekwon Do

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by KickChick, Aug 15, 2003.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self Control and Indomitable Spirit are the five tenets of Taekwon Do.

But how many students are encouraged to learn them and their meanings??

Are these tenets only observed in class at the dojang ... how many of us abide by these tenets outside this environment ... like at home and at work.

Ever think that if everyone followed these tenets of Taekwon Do that the whole world would be a better place?:Angel:

I'm thinking that if we follow and stress the teachings and principles of these tenets ... (considering that TKD extends to nearly all countries) we may be one step closer to living together with true respect and harmony.

Idealistic aren't I?? :)

2. TKD

TKD New Member

If we all followed the tenets, yes, we would be much closer to "world Peace"(basically). However, the chances of that, are about as much as an eagle flying at a height of 1 mile dropping a turd right in the eye of Sadam Hussein or Osama Bin Laden. That is to say, none.

Wish I could put it more delicately, but, it's the truth.

3. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Nothing wrong at all with being idealistic KickChick :) I would tend to agree the world possibily would be a better place, even tho I guess I tried to follow something as close to the tenets before I started TKD (my parent's telling me the age old "do to others, as you want others to do to you..." etc), but I guess I maybe concentrate more, the lines in the International Oath "I Shall be a champion of freedom and justice" and "I shall build a more peaceful world", I do like (I like the philosphical stuff, I can at times be the 'deep and meaningful' type! :) ), and in a way make me feel to to TKD, as to also hopefully be a kind,helpful and good person (most of the time! :Angel: ), one could say to to have world peace everyone should do Tae Kwon Do! :D But seriously, thats the thing that is good in Martial Arts, especially Tae Kwon Do (seeing as its really the only art i know!), the promotion of such values, which can help us all live in a more peaceful world! Sure there wil be conflict from time to time, thats just the human condition, but I guess it defintely would be good if every MAist did their best to follow the codes of honur, etc, in that art.

Just my two pence(cents.... equivelent currency! :D) worth. :)

4. Kaine

Kaine New Member

true, if everyone did follow the tenets it would be a more peaceful world, however not everyone will, I do to the best of my abilitys, so I guess that's a start.

5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Smile, laugh, be happy!

We talk to our students just about every day about how the tenants affect them and the people around them. All are encourage to live by them. Many parents thank us for the use of them. If we didn't use them, I don't know how we would be able to teach martial arts safely/responsibly. The possibility of misuse would be too great.

6. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I used them in my classes every class. They were said before every class and explained to the younger kids. I like them and they were put into the ITF for a reason, It works.

7. MandrilBorracho

MandrilBorracho New Member

Hello, first time poster over here :)

IMHO, the problem with codes of honor in general, not just TKD's, is that, while they sound nice when said, they don't work for most people; traditionally (and i might be talking out of my rear end here, someone correct me if i'm wrong) codes such as the Bushido, or the western Chivalric code have been both an integral part of society, and exclusive, elitist attitudes; and even then, there were a large number of "code deviants", if you will, people who pledge to the code but don't exactly follow it; everyone's heard of the stories of rapes & cannibalism during the crusades, or traitorous ronin, for example. Nowadays, society's structure is quite diferent: we (as a species) no longer measure ourselves up with the "just & honorable", but with the succesful; higher purpose is no longer the goal. That causes the adoption & following of the codes to be fairly harder; i know that I, try to avoid it as I might, sometimes stray off the thin line of honorable behavior. And with harder codes & fewer payoffs, the people who manage to uphold the "Codes" are a minority, and as such, do not influence the course of human future as much as i'd like.

I guess that what i tried to say was, "of course everything would be better, but good luck trying to get everyone to respect the code; you're gonna need it :)". of course, it all came out sounding awfully similar to a rant.
    Anyways, sorry for the screwy english; it's not my primary language.

8. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Your English is better than many peoples who post here and have English as thier primary language. Congratulations on learning English so well. Welcome to MAP Mandril. Sign in at the TKD check in on the TKD forum. Happy posting.

9. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Nice post Mandril, and welcome. I think though if we break down the TKD tenants into something we all can relate too we'll notice t isn't so hard to follow. You're right Courtesy, integrety, perserverence, self control, and indomitable spirit all sound nice when said together (bonus points for anyone who can guess which kwan these came out of) but I know for myself growing up as a young child these were all stressed to me . . . and my TKD career was very far away.

Courtesy, I'm sure everyone has been told to be polite at one point or another. I think this is courtesy in a nutshell.

Integrety, well be honest with yourself and others. I was always taught lieing was wrong, so I guess there's another tenent I was taught when I was young.

Perserverence, I have never heard of a parent tell a child to give up and do something else. I think this may have a little bit of a higher level on a TKD mindset but essentially that's what it is in my mind.

Self control, everyone practises this on a daily basis, when making decisions or choices. Should I accept the drugs from the bad man in black coming to the playground or should I not? Should I completely lose my mind on my co-worker when they insist on doing things wrong or should I calmly talk to them? I feel self control is the basis of decision making in our society. Especially with more choices offered to more people now.

Indomitable spirit. I take this as standing up for myself and my thoughts and rights at all times. Encompassing all the other tenants as well. This in my opinion is hard to achieve because to do this you must be very confident in yourself, and what you know and be able to stand up for it, however I also feel that one needs to be flexable enough to learn and grow and know when what they know may not be exactly right and being able to admit that to themselves.

All of these things I feel are very relevant to modern day society. And although not everyone practises these tenants the way TKD has laid them out, I know that deep down everyone is aware of them on some level Taekwondoin or not.

10. Chazz

Welcome to the MAP MandrilBorracho.
    You are right, getting people to try to live by them are hard. But an instructor in inforce them in his/her class. By doing this, the hope is that they will not only have to use them in class but they might rub off on them in their normal out of class life.

11. MandrilBorracho

MandrilBorracho New Member

Artikon, while it's true that they are, in some way or another, taught in everyday life, it's often not enough to follow it loosely; one should champion the values of the code, otherwise your effort is lost in a sea of indifferent faces. And then's when the problem kicks in; IMHO, "championing" is akin to tightrope walking between mindless fanaticism & meaningless lip service, and as such requires dedication, understanding of the code and, above all, caring about the code itself. I guess that what i'm trying to say is, you just can't force the code into a kid (or anyone else, for that matter), he has to adopt it.
    And there's where our society fails; we talk about it, but all we can do is try and spark the interest of those around us, either by teaching, or by example; not that's a bad thing, of course, but it makes the system dependent on the individual. And, sadly, not every individual is as dedicated and righteous as one would wish :)

12. Chazz

Thats why you surround someone with good morals, the hopes are that they will pick them up. Just like a kid will pick up bad morals that he/she see day to day.

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I really think that these ideas can come across in a Taekwondo school, especially when the master and instructors follow them and enforce them. I personally think that many students of martial arts end up emulating their instructors and will use them as a role model for their behavior.

From a personal point of view, as a teacher in a local public school, I see a big difference in the way students who study martial arts tend to act in school, at the dojang, and in public. I personally see them as trying to be more respectful and courteous... as well as tending to improve their grades and accomplishments in school. (I get lots of good feedback from their parents as well.)

I think that for the tenets to work, we as instructors and studenst of TKD must be willing to follow them. People who look to us a srole models (and the people we look to as role models) must set the example. We cannot expect to change the world, but we can influence a few people.

14. Chazz

Im glad to hear you say that Thomas, it sound like there are quite a few people that dont think they work. Im glad to see another school using them.

15. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I am also pleased!!

Seems to me that TKD is the martial art that is experiencing the tension between the traditional approach and the modern approach to martial arts training.

Don't get me wrong....change is good.

However, there is a point when change no longer signifies improvement to the martial art. The word "art" in martial art refers to the mental and spiritual development a person experiences while practicing the physical aspect. If the spiritual and mental aspects of a martial art are ignored, it can no longer be considered a martial art.
    Does it not instead become a martial "sport" ?

I have found that the majority of modern TKD schools focus almost entirely on fighting skills producing exceptional fighters, but they disregard the most "basic tenet" of traditional TKD .... the perfection of character.

16. Taeho

Taeho New Member

IMHO the tenets of TKD are vital in keeping our minds and hearts in sync with the true spirit of TKD. I personally live by these tenets in my daily life. My school stresses the importance of the tenets and we must learn them and their true meanings in ordser to advance.

I am rounding out my first year as a TKD student and owe alot to the way of life that is TaeKwon-Do.

I created a little website to give something back to TKD. You can check it out at http://www.tkdpalace.cjb.net

TKDshane Ÿ

17. Pyry_Uotila

Pyry_Uotila New Member

i agree with you, that if people would live according to the tenets the world would be a better place. unfortunately, many people don't seem to understand the meaning of the tenets.

i find myself living according to the tentets anyway i can, in do jang and outside in other situations.

18. wuchang79

wuchang79 New Member

I've tried to Live by what I teach and have been taught as well. Remember that you train the mind as well as the body. most people are good @ heart. . give them some basic, all-purpose guidelines and it works out for the best.

Aims to Achieve:
    MODESTY
    SELF-CONTROL
    PERSEVERENCE
    INDOMINABLE SPIRIT

Pledge:
    To train both MIND and BODY through Tae Kwon Do
    To promote a friendly realtionship amongst ALL people
    To be a couragous opponent against untruths
    To follow the rules of Tae Kwon Do and my instructor

19. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

i absolutely agree, i am also a student of chung do kwan and i think that if eveybody was a black belt there would be no wars. I know it sounds a little corny and probably also a little conceded but ask yourself this, how often do you hear about two blackbelts fighting eachother on the street? how many times have you gotten yourself out of a situation where there was possibly going to be a fight? If the world followed the tenets of martial arts then there would be more respect, more comradery.

20. Chazz

Is great to hear that but here is a qestion, Do you think that there is a tenet that is more important than the other. Try ranking them in in order of importance (to you)