Your Type of MMA?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Korpy, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Basically how do you work in MMA? Ground/Pound, Submission, ect?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I don't "work in MMA." I take jook lum southern praying mantis and BJJ at an MMA school (along with a few Muay Thai/western boxing lessons and a few JKD classes). However, I want my main striking style to be jook lum.

My skills in both styles are not refined enough to have a cohesive "John Davenport's JKD."

3. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I'm not sure I understand the question...if yer looking for my basic strategy, it's to hit the guy as hard as I can as many times as I can until he stops moving.

I may twist his leg or something, too, if I'm feeling lazy.

:D

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Sounds like a pretty sound strategy to me! :D

5. jkdberlin

jkdberlin Valued Member

Close the distance - Clinch - Takedown - Strike to get a submission.

Greets

6. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

This is what I mean by type of MMA.

Sprawl N Brawl
    Submission Fighting
    Clinch and Pound ect

7. Yohan

I love it how you pigeon hole mixed martial arts into such minimal catagories.

You do realize that MMA refers to a style which includes multiple styles, concepts and techniques, all blended seamlessly together to create one cohesive effective style, which is "ideal" for the person who uses it?

I love how you can reduce all that complexity and effectiveness down to something like "sprawl N brawl." Sprawl N brawl is a SINGLE concept based around a handfull of techniques, and anyone who is limited to this concept is going to get their butt handed to them.

Standard Korp-meister thread. :D

8. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Right now, cutting down on Western boxing. Too many conflicting principles with CLF at once, I'm gonna tone it down and just focus on my kung fu alot more.

Gonna pick up more Muay Thai and submissions. Muay Thai doesn't really contradict anything so long as I don't kick much, and get up close for the clinch/elbow/knees. Submission wrestling is for. . . . . . submissions. Enough said.

But like Yohan my main standup is CLF, with more elbows and knees than usual.

9. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

lol well I try. :D ;)

I don't reduce anything, even though there are evolutions and many arts is MMA, there are 4 basic areas.

Sprawl N Brawl
    Ground N Pound
    Clinch N Pound
    and Submission Fighting

10. Yohan

How do you figure? I don't fit into any of those catagories.

11. DougJitsu

DougJitsu New Member

I think what he means is what is your prefferend method of fighting. Like Fedor is GnP, Chuck is Sprawl and Brawl.
    You don't have to say that you only do that style, but everybody has a preffered method of fighting.
    Personally I like a bit of GnP.