making cpu much cooler

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Infinity, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Infinity

Infinity -Invincible-

hey this just came to me, im deciding on buying those mini freg. and have an expert drill a hole in it just enough for the wires to go trew then im taping it up and planing on overclocking my cpu big time. u think itll still burn? the freg. is like 50 F below and above 40 F. i know at first if i just turn it on it might. im planing to turn on the freg for like a hour or so to get it cold

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I've got a master's degree in IT and an A+, and I've never heard of a "freg".

If you want people to help you, make an effort to make your posts understandable.

3. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

Sounds like dodo wants to put the motherboard in the freezer section of a small fridge. Fridges are for beer.

Get real. CPUs have speed ratings for a reason. Pushed too far beyond that speed, it becomes unreliable.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

You could put a scoop or two of ice-cream on top, with one of those umbrella thingies to make it look nice too. :D

5. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Well, it is my professional opinion that, given as little as you know about computers (not meaning to be insulting, just the truth) you are best off running a CPU like it is meant to. CPU's can be overclocked, but given the speed of modern machines there is hardly a need to...and in order to overclock, it's not just CPU speed and temp, it's accosiated bus speeds and tempuratures, memory has to be high quality...the CPU won't speed up a machine all by itself...every component plays a role.

What's a freg?

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I made my CPU cooler

By getting it some cheap sunglasses! oh yeah!

7. TKD=FUN

TKD=FUN New Member

ok, making the cpu cooler will be much more effective with some artic paste for the actual chip and heatsink. as for the rest of the system get some water cooling from chillblast.com water cooling is a must for serious overclocking.

Fridges will just end up screwing the system. what is your system i can help if you wish but you would probally be better of buying a new cpu which would in the long run be better, as cpus as others have said are not designed to be overclocked and start to lose quality after certain multiplyers.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  8. Infinity

Infinity -Invincible-

ok here is my system specs im getting it in a few months

a p4 3.7EE if its out or not not sure or a p4 3.8
    2 gig fastest mem
    2x geforce 6800gt
    500hd
    prodigy 7.1 Lt
    i want to make my system run faster so i have to up the mem and all that other stuff?

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I hate to sound like a dull old man, but why would you want to make a system like that run any faster? What will it be able to do that it can't do running in it's ordinary non-overclocked state?

If you're doing it for fun as a hobby I can understand, but if you're not then you're making a lot of effort to squeeze ~5% more speed out of it, whilst running a good risk of trashing some fairly expensive hardware.

10. MajesticB

MajesticB New Member

I for sure have to agree with what CosmicFish said. There is absolutely no need to overclock that machine unless you are doing it as a hobby (which I doubt, considering you said your memory you are getting is called "fastest mem").

I have a machine with specs similar to that, and there is NO NEED WHATSOEVER to overclock it. I run virtually every game I play on maxed out settings (even with crap ValueSelect RAM).

You're just going to end up frying some of your components, then you will be out a computer.

11. TKD=FUN

TKD=FUN New Member

you wont need to overclock that for another year or so, if your getting a new system can i please reccomend before you go to the devil(pentium) get an amd much more power and you will probally save yourself some money. for the price of a pentium3.8 you can probally get an amd fx55 core or even go dual core.

i cant see that system being worth overclocking, also just as a last note go for amd, AMD, AMD.

12. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

humidity and condesnation will not be your friends!

keep this in mind.

you might be better off with a water cooling case or a super fan cpu and case.

try http://www.newegg.com

also take cpu in mind. 64bit is the future, amd makes some that overclock nice.

13. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Overclocking a CPU is like doing 70 miles an hour in 3rd gear. It will work, but it'll cause long term damage.

As said above, you do NOT need to overclock that system. What are you planning to do that will need more speed than 3.8GHZ, recreate artifical gravity?

14. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

You know what? I'm kinda hoping he will now. I want to know what happens. :D

15. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Maybe this? ;)

Attached Files:

16. Infinity

Infinity -Invincible-

what is that pic? some kind of cooler?

17. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Its a CPU!

Please tell me you aren't planning to build this thing yourself?

18. mattnz

mattnz Die or get rich tryin'!

Baaaaaaaaah! :bang: For pity's sake!

19. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

WHOOPS!

Actually I had that happen to me once :p the CPU worked fine afterwards though.

roffle that waffle :D

I may be way off but he might be talking about phase change cooling like a vapochill system. They work in pretty much the same way a fridge does.

They're really not hard to install but you need to make sure you get the lagging done properly otherwise you end up with water on your motherboard :D

If you are thinking of a vapochill system you'd probably be better off using the 500 quid it'll cost you to buy a new chip instead.

[edit]
    Oh man I just re-read his post and realised he wants to take a fridge, drill a hole in it and put his case in it....
    Oh my! Oh my oh my oh my.....!
    [/edit]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  20. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

LMAO! :D

This definately one of the most entertaining threads of the year. :p