yawyan sibukan's training methods

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by republiksyawyan, Nov 4, 2005.

1. republiksyawyan

republiksyawyan New Member

Im Interested In how other yawyan practitoners are currently / have trained for this new world of mma?

I am a Yawyan sibukan practitioner, at the Canadian yawyan branch. We at the yawyan sibukan have implemented Judo and parts of a filipino grappling style which I cant really pronounce into the mix of things.

I am very fortunate to say that we train with real life/ufc situations in mind allowing for practical methods of applying chokes and submissions with the aid or defence of striking.

I am training to go pro, and the more I think about it the happier I am that my master dedicates enough time to the striking and ground fighting equaly.

We train 3 days a week,and I spar with mauy thai practitioners another two days out of the week to practice my striking against well taught strikers.

We do everything from pad work to bag work to light contact forming.
    Then we grapple and toss eachother around for the remaning hour 1/2 of class.

I have heard an read about other Yawyan schools adapting and implementing certain other styles or techniques into their game plans, hopefully another yawyan practitioner out their can shed some light on this topic?

What are you doing to prepare yourself for the world of mma?

2. wanlu99

wanlu99 Yaw-Yan and MuayThai Fan

Yaw-Yan

Yaw-Yan Sibukan as I understand is a product of Sir Boy Garcia...the method of Yaw-Yan Sibukan if I may guess is probably Old Yao-Yan style where Sir Boy got his training of course under Master Nap Fernandez.

The New Yaw-Yan style (Since 1980) still has the same kicks and bolo punches but the curriculum is different. Much different...

Yaw-Yan in Manila and Cebu are so active in Striking competitions and still dominate that area...We also have Yaw-Yans in Mixed Martial Arts like the URCC and they are doing good...we have two undefeated Yaw-Yan fighters in URCC...Christian Wong (who will fight in URCC DEc2005 against Team China)and Allan Co...both under Hybrid Yaw-Yan and Deftac Yaw-Yan

Theres a new style of Yaw-Yan called Yaw-Yan Ardigma...

visit the Yaw-Yan Team Makati website at

www.yaw-yan.com

or the Yaw-Yan Team Pasay Website at

http://www.yawyanpasay.blogspot.com

Thanks

Wanlu

3. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

The Elite Striking Championships

Speaking of striking competitions, perhaps you might also be interested in this >>> The Elite Striking Championships thread... an event organized by Team Yaw-Yan Pasay with the cooperation of other chapters and other martial art gyms as well.

The Elite Striking Championships
    "Clash of the Champions"
    Saturday, December 10, 2005 6:00 pm
    Rizal Memorial Sports Complex, Malate, Manila

Yaw-Yan practitioners (please tell Sir Fred he could send fighters for the next event) battle it out against the top martial arts experts across the country. Although we will not adopt the MMA environment, it would be a modified no-holds-barred type of a standup fight match. sort of the k-1 matches but anything is allowed as long as you knocked out your opponent ... except of course, biting, groin attacks, and grappling.

The old Yao-Yan does contain groundfighting in it's training agenda but slowly fades out when the kickboxing scene gets popular.

4. Black_Grass

Black_Grass Valued Member

Republiksyawyan,

Hi, is Master Fred teaching or is Master Boy there now. Are they sharing the space with Cesar @ Vic Park and Ellesmere ? I think I saw somewhere on the internet that Sikaran was also being taught there.

In anycase say hello to Master Fred and Boy. I trained with them shortly a few years ago.

Vince
    Bakbakan International
    Halifax,NS

5. wanlu99

Re:Sir Fred and Sir Boy Garcia

Hi...the question is not directed to me but...Yes...Sir Fred is in Canada and has a gym there...

Sir Boy handled Yaw-Yan Sibukan for a while but I think he stopped.

I was with Sir Boy at the MuayThai Training Camp held at Marina Bay three years ago with Stephan Fox of the World MuayThai Council...I officiated with him at the Mano Mano Championships a year ago as well.

Havent seen Sir Boy lately but with the new Yaw-Yan gym in Makati which just openned, I might just see him there and tell him you guys say Hi.

Thanks

Wanlu Lunaria

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  6. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

Sir Boy is currently here in manila. Recently, he also joined the FMA gathering of warriors tournament in YMCA Makati with Sir Zapata as his coach.

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

how would "Yawyan sibukan" differ from "Hybrid YawYan"?

8. wanlu99

Yaw-Yan Sibukan and Hybrid Yaw-Yan

I dont know exactly what Yaw-Yan Sibukan is...if I have to guess, its old Yaw-Yan style so basically its striking...

Hybrid Yaw-Yan under Sir Henry Kobayashi is a mixture of the Yaw-Yan Striking style,BJJ and Sambo...Hybrids usually try to ko opponents with strikes but if not succesful, they end it on the ground.

So far Hybrid Yaw-Yans have a good record at the URCC (Philippine MMA) with the entry of Allan Marcus Co and Christian Wong...

Hybrid Yaw-Yan to sum it up is Yaw-Yan all the way when it comes to striking but BJJ and Sambo when it goes to the ground...

Teams like the Yaw-Yan Temple...Team Yaw-Yan Pasay ,Team Yaw-Yan Makati and Yaw-Yan Cebu are more of strikers and of strict Yaw-Yan training...no cross training in BJJ or Sambo but have their own ground fighting techniques...

Thanks

Wanlu

9. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Yaw-Yan Ardigma

hi Wanlu,

We discussed about Yaw-Yan and Yaw-Yan Ardigma in the other thread(http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34634&page=6&pp=15).Burunkol has really helped by giving some information about Yaw-Yan Ardigma.Could you please give your opinion about this style?

In the Team Yaw-Yan Makati Website ,it's written Yaw-Yan Ardigma Martial art.But they are teaching Traditional Yaw-Yan, right.

Thank You
    Viking

10. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

naming conventions

Greetings my friends!!!

Yaw-Yan Sibukan is the product of brothers Sir Fred and Boy Garcia. Both of them were included in the first 5 full contact fighters of Yaw-Yan... then called Yao-Yan. During their time, 1972 era, or the so called "old yaw-yan", groundfighting is still included in their training. as far as i know, this oldschool type of yaw-yan is what sir fred incorporates in his teachings thus also aims towards the MMA arena.

Yaw-Yan Hybrid, as told by Sir Wanlu, is a mix of the yaw-yan art and OTHER martial art styles such as BJJ or Sambo.

Yaw-Yan Ardigma, is the new development of GM Nap which focuses much on hardening of arms and legs coined in by the name itself, Ardigma - ARNIS Pandigma or "Arnis for Battle". here, the arms and legs are extremely hardened to be used like an iron club or like the fire-hardened arnis stick. power and strength are greatly stressed in preparation for the MMA scene also.

Yaw-Yan Makati, recently opened their new gym, and is now carrying the "Ardigma" training of GM Nap.

what happened is that each yaw-yan gym evolves depending on it's location. this is where each chapter/team/gym gives more focus on a certain aspect of the art depending on the fight scene in their area. but rest assured, all aspects of the art is still taught... they just give more focus on what's needed in their area.

The terms Hybrid, Ardigma, Sibukan, Labuyo, Texas, Musang, etc. are all within the Yaw-Yan martial arts. They are just naming conventions of the gyms to specify which kind of training a certain gym focuses on.

about the yaw-yan groundfighting, it slowly faded out when kickboxing became popular in the 80's. this is what we refer to as the new yaw-yan. but given the trend that is happening right now, again, the groundfighting aspect of yaw-yan is slowly crawling it's way back into our training. so i guess this is good news for all of us. :D

hope i said it clearly. :p :p :p

thanks,
    bon bautista
    Team Yaw-Yan Pasay

11. republiksyawyan

WOW, talk about a wealth of knowledge.
    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply I've been training hard at the gym and at the weights.
    I train under Master Alfredo "Fred" Garcia, when talking about Yaw-yan sibukan we are taught to mainly focus on striking, like Cro-cop we also study ground fighting "Judo/ Bundog?" to be better prepared for whatever comes our way.

"Sibukan" like stated above is Master freds name for our branch meaning "tested" in english. The more dedicated I have become the more I recognize the advantegous of yaw -yan striking compared to mauy thai. But I also notice the beautiful marrige judo has with yaw yan or mauy thai because of the throws /take downs.But If I where to really brake down our way of grappling ,their are so many littly tricks that I would have to start a new thread, but pinching is one of them ;-). Like I stated in my first post we train with the ufc in mind and I personally wont stop until I go pro, and Im fortunate enough to some what have a heads up/ foot in the door, when talking about the ufc.

You see the ufc has a tv program called tuf http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26068&page=13&pp=15&highlight=tuf3
    which (from what Ive been told) will be scouting fighters in canada mainly in my province and its neighbour for the next instalments of tuf.

Long story short, I have ten months of non stop training to show the world that yaw-yan sibukan and myself are worthy of a shot to be on tuf.

I will let Master Fred know about the k1 style of fighting in the philipines,and hopefully Master Fred will take me down and compete after my prep training is over.

Im proud to be a yaw- yan practitioner and im proud to be Master Freds protoje in canada and the more I learn about yaw yan the more I am proud to be part of such heratige.

I wish every one all the best in their trainings and maybe just maybe one day I could spar with other yaw-yan practitioners to see how we fair.

I was just curious asto what other schools where focusing on and why?

Any ways good luck to all.

12. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

haha, we sure hope to see one of our brothers fighting in the ufc. it will be an honor for all of us. be sure to visit us here in the philippines also...

10 months of intensive training already gives you much fighting knowledge... that is what i personally think as the best part in yaw-yan - training realistically. as per GM Nap, 3 months of training under him, then you're set to fight anyone at any level, that was his guarantee. the hard training, extensive discipline, scientific approach, and right guidance are the key aspects for these claims.

at our gym in pasay, we train as much as we could. we only have 2 professional full time fighters in our gym. most of us are either office workers, street vendors, pedicab drivers, butchers, businessmen ---- all came from all walks of life... but we don't take our job as a reason not to train. in fact, most of us still train everyday, usually after office hours from 7pm until 9pm (sometimes until 12 midnight). there is much dedication and camaraderie in our gym that we tend to stay and practice more and more. thus, the benefits that we reap are great.

13. republiksyawyan

Hahaha I know exactly what you mean, were the same way. I train anywhare from 5 to 6 days a week a few hours a day, and will most likley train more prolonged hours as the training takes shape.

Theirs a saying ,the only thing that seperates an amature from a pro is dedication, and one of the things that separates a star from a pro is innovation.

I would be honoured to go to the philipines and fight , but how many fighters in the 180-190 weight class?

Keep in mind I usually walk around at 200 lbs hence the conditioning and dieting.

ttyppls.

14. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

hahaha, the same yaw-yan training regimen:) whenever there's an upcoming event, fighters would also stay and live in the gym. our training program requires that much dedication and discipline.

180-190 ei???hmmm...... there are only a few guys weighing in these category. One of our brothers, Christian Wong of Hybrid Yaw-Yan fights in this division. He's also into MMA, record of 2-0 in the local MMA scene here in the philippines... and he'll be fighting a chinese guy this december. I guess, we could always find a match for everyone.. but higher weight classes would be harder to find. filipinos are generally built thin and lightweight that is why yaw-yan was also developed, to enable small filipino guys face giants. :)

anyway, i hope you do visit us here soon. let's have some sharing of ideas and techniques.

15. republiksyawyan

It would be an honour. Lets keep in touch friend.

16. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

sure bro!! :D hope to hear more of what's happening at yaw-yan sibukan. i haven't talked to sir fred lately. pls extend my regards to everyone. :)