styles of Aikijujutsu

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by shaolin_hendrix, Oct 22, 2005.

1. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

What are the different styles of Aikijujutsu (i.e. Takeda ryu Aiki no Jutsu, Daito ryu Aikijujutsu, etc.)? What makes them different from one another?

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

3. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

4. samoz

samoz New Member

i do aikijitsu, but i dont think there are too many styles of that . . . or at least i don't know about many of them . . . we trace our lineage straight back to the founder of the art . . . well, not really the true founder since the art was made in war, but the formal founder i guess . . . im not positive, it would be better to ask one of the higher belts in my art.

5. nickh

nickh Valued Member

I'm a little confused. Who is the true founder and the formal founder? Do you mean Takeda Sokaku?

6. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Aikijujutsu == Jujutsu. All Japanese Jujutsu is Aikijujutsu becaue all Jujutsu uses the princples of Aiki. Its just a decription, it like all Jujutsu == Taijutsu because all Jujutsu uses there Body (Tai).

However, if you are more referring to which Japanese Ryu use that very straight in breaking type fighting. The ones I know of as Diato Ryu and Asayama Ichiden Ryu.

7. nickh

nickh Valued Member

8. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

9. wkclark2009

wkclark2009 Valued Member

The system my instructor teaches, Torukukai AikiJitsu, is derived from Daito Ryu. It combines the throws of Judo, the circular takedowns of Aikido, the Joint locks of JuJitsu and the stikes of Karate. As I understand it, daito ryu is the battlefield art that the samurai used and from it came Judo, Aikido and JuJitsu.

10. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Then you understand incorrectly.

There is little evidence to actually support that Daito Ryu is in fact a Koryu, it definitely did NOT come from Judo, Aikido and Jujitsu. Who ever told you that was/is very mistaken.

You understand you resurrected a three year old thread?

When you say that your style is derived of Daito Ryu, care to be a bit more specific; how is it connected?

Is this the group you study with > http://www.aikijitsu.com/

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  11. I think he is saying Aikido, Judo and JJ came from DRAJJ, rather than vice versa.
    I also read it that was first time I saw it.

12. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Yes got it, I see what I miss-read.. my bad.

However, Judo, Aikido and Jujutsu didn't come directly or solely from Daito Ryu

13. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

That's correct Rock.

Judo was derived from Tenjin Shinyo-ryu and Takenaka-ha Kito-ryu.

Jujutsu comes from sumo and yoroi kumi-uchi.

As for styles of aikijujutsu, there is only one system that uses that term. That school is Daito-ryu. Takeda Sokaku was the only person to coin the name of the discipline he taught in Daito-ryu during the Meiji period.