Humpty Dumpty

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Chimpcheng, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Something vexes me, verily and I wonder if you good martial art peeps can help? :D

Ok, we all know the rhyme 'Humpty Dumpty':

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
    Humpty Dumpty had a great fall;
    All the King's horses and all the King's men,
    Couldn't put Humpty together again.

Now, whenever there is an image of Humpty Dumpty he (I assume he is a 'he') is always depicted as an egg. Why is this? I mean, the rhyme makes no allusions as to the shape or size of Humpty nevermind being egg-like.

Also, All the king's horses and all the king's men? When I think about this sentence I imagine/assume the men in question are soldiers, surely it would be better if medics got to him? Then again the army does have field medics, which leads me to the usefulness of horses in attempting to put Humpty back together. :confused:

The lack of opposable thumbs (for one thing) would negate an equines ability to manipulate any object let alone pieces of our egg-shaped hero or the tools required to put him back together again...

Just a thought... :love: :love: :love:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Sheesh..you have way too much time on your hands Chimp :)

3. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Gah, beat me to it, that was EXACTLY what I was going to say! :D

4. Chimpcheng

Awww but Mel it's keeping me awake at nights. Why is Humpty an egg? Why send horses to fix him? Being an egg what is he thinking being on a wall in the first place?? :confused:

Argggghhhhhhhhh :bang:

:love:

5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

well if i was one of the kings men i would of fried the little egg head and had him with toast!

6. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

LOL! http://www.artcrimemidia.com/media/humpte y.html

7. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

He didn't fall I tell you !!!!

He was pushed !!!!!

lisaxx :D

8. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

9. Chimpcheng

Ooooooooooooooooooh, thanks KT, now all I need to know is how the three bears managed to afford a cushy little home in the woodlands...

:love:

10. Bloke

Bloke Finally got married bloke

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
    Humpty Dumpty had a great fall;
    All the King's horses and all the King's men,
    Had scrambled egg for weeks and weeks.

11. tinit

tinit Valued Member

to be honest humpty was pushed off that wall lisa knows her stuff too. he was pushed then the law camea and tried to say that he was beign abusive and they used what force was necassary trying to beat him down... but no-one not even the "man" can beat down humpty dumpty

12. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Chimp, the question you should be asking yourself is: What the heck is a 'Humpty Dumbty' doing on a wall? And if HD is an egg... what the heck is an egg doing on a wall!!?

13. Chimpcheng

This is true, why was Humpty on a wall in the first place? Afterall a wall is an awfully precarious place for an egg to be placed. Unless of course he was in a nest, I mean many birds lay their eggs in a nest high up in trees and the majority of them make it to adulthood just fine.

Then of course we are assuming that Humpty is an avian egg (Fig. 1)

[​IMG]
    Fig 1: Humpty falling off that nefarious wall

Humpty could of course have been one of the more tougher reptile eggs (all leathery), having said that he did fall to pieces which backs up our original hypothesis of Humpty being an avian egg.

On a related note, a friend helpfully suggested that Humpty is an egg because his parents were eggs...

14. tinit

tinit Valued Member

well its a known fact that there is no such thing as a baby egg . if HD parents were eggs he is more likely to be a sort of hard white skinned egg ( yes a bit reptillian ) which in this case seems to blow the whole fairy tale into a world of lies and disbelif . as i know for a fact HD wudnt have smashed into pieces beign the type of egg he is

15. Kinjiro Tsukasa

That's an easy one -- after the Big Bad Wolf blew down the second Little Pig's house, the second Little Pig was desperate for money to build a new one, so he was willing to work cheap. The Three Bears hired him to build their woodlands house (the second Little Pig being an expert in stick-built wood house construction).

:D

16. Chimpcheng

But again we have the problem of tool manipulation. Pigs, like horses are ungulates evolving a digitigrade method of locomotion (they basically walk on their toes/nails/claws/hooves) and as such don't have opposable thumbs.

Now, it is my understanding that pigs are very intelligent, but even if they could grasp the fundamentals of construction they couldn't hold the tools needed to build houses. Much like the inability of horses to put Humpty together again.

So how exactly did the three little pigs build their cribs? :confused:

:rolleyes:

17. Kinjiro Tsukasa

They got Wile E. Coyote and Bugs Bunny to do the building. Wile E., of course, has instant access to the complete Acme mail order line of construction tools and products, and both he and Bugs, unlike other non-human mammals, walk in the plantigrade fashion, and do have hands with opposable thumbs! :D

18. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Well, A.) horses aren't ungulants if I remember correctly. Cows are, but horses aren't because they have a solid hoof instead of a cloven on. But I could be wrong.
    B.) They obviously used trained ferrets to manipulate the tools.

19. Chimpcheng

Actually horse belong to the order Perissodactyla aka the odd-toed ungulates which includes tapirs and rhinoceros amongst others.

Now I hardly think ferrets, trained or otherwise would be a wise choice for construction work. Now chimps ( ;) ) I'd understand as they are well versed in the consructing arts :love: