is kenpo good for tall peaple

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by ayden, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ayden

ayden New Member

im 6.2 way 240 pounds im not fat so with my build is kenpo good for me to learn or is there somethin else that will work better

2. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I am 6'4" around 220, it working well for me thus far, althought I have found my long arms and legs to be more of an advantage in JuiJitsu and Kickboxing...it allows good distance striking and long legs are always nice in JuiJitsu if ya learn how to use 'em.

3. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I saw this one guy playing basketball in an episode of Ripley's. He had no legs and he's playing with people with legs.

4. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

There are few guys in my school who are about your size.

Their biggest problem is NOT relying on their strength and size, because it allows them to be sloppy on technique and still be effective. The point is, if they develop good technique, then their strength and size will mean even more.

Really 6'2 240 is not so giant :) kenpo works for people of all sizes, it is a great equalizer.

5. ayden

ayden New Member

ok i no that kenpo trains in weapon combat to so what do you train in

6. dsp921

dsp921 New Member

Kenpo is, for the most part, empty handed. What weapon combat are you talking about? Do you mean kendo and not kenpo, kendo is definitely a weapon art.

7. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

we train our empty hands against clubs, knives, and guns

I know one technique using a belt :)

8. lonekimono10

lonekimono10 New Member

ok Dave, what about the wall tecqs? do u guys do them?

9. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Kempo should not be any more of a disadvantage than anything else when you are large. Give them a go, and see witch styles you like.

Weapons are usually not taught anymore in Shorinji Kempo. Some schools still teach them, but they are rare now. Shorinji Kempo weapons are the Shakujo, Nio, and Dokko.

10. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I don't train with me having weapons (yet, anyway) but I do train with the opponent having weapons such as a staff or knife...

11. Luar

Luar New Member

In general you are right but I find being 6'3 and 210 lbs I had to work extra hard to adjust. For example, whereas in certain techniques that require a forward diagonal movement into the opponent to evade an attack and then respond with a kick does not work for me because of my long legs. Instead I need to sidestep more. This has led to interesting "debates" with my seniors who cannot visualize why I need to do this until they experience it themselves.

12. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

As soon as somebody figures out how to hit me with a wall... :p

OK but seriously, do you mean, grab defenses with your back to a wall? We don't have any :/ I think I have a question for class tonight haha!

13. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Bahahaha.

I do agree however, being 6'4" with long legs and arms I have found myself needing to adjust in certain situations. It certianly doesn't make Kenpo BAD for tall people...every body type has it's issues...you don't make yourself work for Kenpo, you make Kenpo work for you.

14. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I have some tall people in my class. Your version is how I teach them. I don’t see anything wrong with it, as it is only adapting a basic movement that is designed to work with partners of equal size to a realistic scenario. The basic pattern is fine with people of equal size; however when your partner is different in size to yourself the maai will change and you will need to adapt. This is one reason why we train in pairs, to learn maai.

15. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I'm tall as well (6'5) and I don't think of myself as having a particular disadvantage. Sure, I have to execute techniques differently, but who doesn't?
    That's exactly it: people who are small or large or tall or short all have different things to keep in mind. That's why martial arts are so cool. Everyone can do them, and it's just a matter of finding what works best for you.

Incidentally, I've always been fascinated by the weapon techniques in Shorinji Kempo, and have always thought it to be a bit of a shame that they don't teach them much anymore. Has anyone here ever been taught any?

16. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

We recently had some visiting sensei out and spent about eight hours on the Shakujo over a three day training camp. We also got to see some Nio techniques using both Goho and Juho. This is the first time I have actually been taught any of this since starting Shorinji Kempo in 1988. I have seen demonstrations a number of times though.

17. Omicron

Omicron is around.

That's so cool! Maybe if I'm lucky one day I'll have the opportunity to learn techniques like that too.