Joong-Gun Tul: How to end up back at starting position

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by d.p., Sep 2, 2005.

1. d.p.

d.p. New Member

I was always told that when finishing a pattern one should always end up exactly where they started, and inparticualr Examiners will look for this as it is a sure sign that your stances aren't of the correct proportion. Now in most of my earlier patterns I could see this being the case (within a few inches anyway), but with Joon-Gun this just doesn't seem possible!

There are 4 walking/L stances going forwards, then 2 fixed stances goeing back followed by 2 low stances and then to do the inwards side punch (only just learnt pattern, don't know the name), you bring your rear foot towards your front foot. Hence there are 4 longer steps as well as a 5th 1/2 step at the end.

Maybe I just shouldn't worry?

2. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

It is a bit awkward, but I find I only end up about a half-step behind the start position.
    As you said...

Forwards:
    -L stance/Walking stance
    -L stance/Walking stance
    -Walking stance
    -Walking stance

Backwards:
    -Walking stance/L stance
    -Walking stance/L stance
    -L stance/Low stance
    -L stance/Low stance
    -1/2 step with inward punch

The way I do the transition between the L stance to low stance for the pressing block is that I only extend out my back foot to make the stance longer, that way your front foot doesn't move any further forward, so effectively you have the same distance in the ending backwards movements as the initial forwards movements, apart from the half step at the end. Hope that helps. :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  3. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Angle Punch...

Dear Sir,

When the left foot comes to the right as you preform the angle punch, you should be stepping back on to your starting position.

Keep at it, it isnt super hard, practice maked perfect.

TAEKWON!
    SPooKeY

4. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

ALL PATTERNS shoud begin and end on the same position as an indicator of the performers accuracy according to gen. choi ask your instructor how to acheive this

5. XMAGuy

XMAGuy New Member

When we do Joong Gun and other forms like Won Hyo, Yul Gok, or Toi Gye we never end up in the same spot. Just depends on how you're taught.

6. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Also technically Joong Gun has 4 walking stances going forward not 2.

The knife hand guarding block is performed in L stance, however you need to shift your front foot forward and out into walking stance to perform the upper elbow strike, so the position you step forward from is that of walking stance.

You can also 'steal' a few inches in the step turn to X fist rising block.

7. d.p.

d.p. New Member

Thanks for the replies, I've only been taught this pattern 2 weeks ago and Im just trying to work it all out- I know the moves, most of the stances, positionsbut I was just getting really annoyed that I would always end up a long way backwards from the starting position. You have also pointed out that I was doing a mistake, coming back to the starting position I was performing the double arm blockin L-stance moving into fixed stance with the punch, instead of the wlaking stance and then L-stance- This will save a few more inches!

I should explainthat although I've been doing taekwondo for 6/7 years only the first 2.5 years or so were full time, then i went to university and foudn it very challanging to manage my time and so had a furhter 2 years of doing TKD for a few months of the year only, and subsequently in the last 2 i have not been to a single lesson because I have been too busy, and last year I was living in California with no TKD nearby. So it is tough getting back into the swing of things!

Im hoping to get good enough to grade before xmas becuase after that my university work load and final year exams will be very prohibitive!

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

WS x 4 on the way "up" means 1.5 shoulder widths toe to toe.

LS x 2 on the way "back" means 1.5 shoulder withs toe to heel, or 2 of your own feets' length shorter than above.

Low stance is the same as walking stance but one of your feet longer, and according to Gen Choi's book you slip the front foot forward, so two low stances on the way back regains our two 'lost' foot size measures.

There's more to it than this of course, but hope this helps.

Mitch

9. d.p.

d.p. New Member

Thanks for that, however, there is still a half step to account for. But as it seems that others are aware of the fact that this pattern just doesn't add up exactly I doubt it is a problem in a grading, especial;ly done with other people who will also end up behind the starting lines.

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The angle punch at the end is in close stance, so there is no extra half step, only the width of your foot. Your left foot stays still, pivoting on the ball of the foot, whilst the right comes round to finish next to it (close stance).

I think the pattern does add up; try marking it out for yourself and I think you'll find it does.

Best of luck.

Mitch

11. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Just perform the pattern correctly and it will work itself out. It does all add up, even when we're not sure how sometimes.