Sidekick: Really SIDE kick?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by 4dam, Sep 1, 2005.

?

Sidekick: To the side or out back?

1. To the side, feet parallel(ish)

69.3%
  2. To the back, like a really high mule kick

22.7%
  3. I can't actually do sidekick (this better be zero, lol)

8.0%
  1. 4dam

4dam New Member

I've seen a lot of people do sidekick with feet parallel and facing to the side, with their legs in a 'chinese splits' way. Also, I've seen lots of people kick to the back (see kickchick's avatar) with their legs in a front split way. SO. Which of these is correct? Which do you do?

2. 4dam

4dam New Member

to expand, I've seen it done in the 'back' way on a stretching site but I have to say, the back style has always looked sloppy to me, even if it is easier to do. it feels like your back is twisted a bit.

3. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I don't really understand what your saying, can you give some pics as examples. Personally, I do the side kick like this:
    [​IMG]
    I don't know which one that is in the poll though, lol.
    P.S. That is NOT me in the pic. :D

4. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

hah now whose gender is question ATKDG.

personally i do it side on as the pic of ATKDG shows :p

Thinking about it the backick is kinda similiar to the side kick same kind of pushing movement (obviously you r kicking behind you) are you sure you saw what you thought was a side kick wasnt really a back kick?

5. Another Muay Thai Guy

LOL, I only look like that at the weekends. :p:D
    I was prepared to let your whole gender thing drop, but now you brought it out into the open forum, this means war!!!!!! :D

Anyway, back on topic, this is the best pic of a back pic I could find:
    [​IMG]
    4dam>Are you sure you just didn't misinterpret this as a side kick, because it sounds like this is what you were describing. :confused:
    P.S. That's not me in that pic either. :D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  6. 4dam

4dam New Member

yeah, that pic is what I mean. I've seen plenty TKD ppl do their sidekick that way, especially cause we never called anything 'back kick' when I was still doing TKD. So I guess it's just plain wrong, eh? <g>

7. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

it's just bad technique i guess. which do you think is worse technique:
    an aweful Lshape side kick or those back looking ones?

L shape :D stole it from babes thread!

[​IMG]

8. Another Muay Thai Guy

There's a difference in how you do both kicks. In side kick (kicking off back leg), the leg comes forward in front of your body and then you kick. in back kick (kicking off back leg), the leg comes forward but BEHIND your body.

9. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

personally i think you generate a lot more power with the back looking ones seen as it's almost a back kick. but i hate people who do side kicks all bent :bang: (refering to the fact that her body should be behind her kick, not the bent leg, as opposed than to the side of it) grr!

10. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

soz Cav bu i dont undertsand what you mean

11. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

well if you viewed a correct side kick from that angle, technically you shouldnt see her body. she is leaning forwards loads, which is probably just for the pic, but some people do do it like that.
    he body should be inline with her foot, leg and hips. thats what i mean, thats what i hate! when people do side kicks like that
    AND I MEAN THE PICTURE I POSTED, NOT THE ONE ATKDG POSTED :)

12. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

oh i get ya, cheers

<<<goes to find out if im doing side kicks how Cav likes them>>>

btw i lean out a tiny bit, but only but a couple of inches nothing major, no where near as much as that pic, i think

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  13. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

I guess it depends on what is comfortable to you. No right way, just what works, in my oppinion.

I can be wrong.

14. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

well if you align your body, hips etc...your kick will be a lot more poweful, and better balanced.
    in TKD you learn to have your standing foot facing the back, not the side. if you're gona hit something hard, it really helps with your balance. i find that if i kick with my foot to the side, i can often stumble back, as opposed to with the foot facing back, you penetrate so much more.
    a lot of people so side kicks differently, but iv explained our advantage. one thing though, your groin can get quite accessible in that position, but in sparring thats not an issue, and in self defence you wouldnt be kicking high anyway, so it works.

15. 4dam

4dam New Member

I guess it's the same as when you do ap chagi (sorry, bad with korean names, I mean front snap kick) and align your torso behind the kicking leg for best power

16. Topher

Topher allo!

Side kick and Back kick are diffrent kicks, diffrent techniques

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

What he said! Side kick, reverse side kick and back kick are all different techniques. My understanding of the "he's behind you" options are as follows, open to correction as always :)

Reverse side kick: chamber with knee out to the side, deliver in the same way as a side kick using footsword with foot parallel to floor.

Back Kick: chamber with knees parallel, lift kicking knee up in front then deliver backwards with heel, toes pointing towards the floor.

Cheers,
    Mitch

18. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

4Dam I think it is a back kick what you are trying to describe. Anyway, the correct way to the a side kick is like cavallin described, or at least that's the way I was taught to do a side kick.

A back kick is very similar as a horse kicking someone.

19. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

My finish postion for the sidekick is as follows.

Standing foot pointing toes to the back.
    Body acting as a counterbalance to the kicking leg.
    Footsword postion with ankle rolled slightly and toes pulled back to body (strike would be in line with ankle joint).
    Kicking leg straight, in line with body through to shoulders, back straight.
    Bottom arm pulled back to hip (like when punching).
    Top arm straight with fist pointing down the leg, always at high section.

When executing the kick, my top arm moves out to punch in time with the leg kicking. This works on along with a similar theory to speeding up the arms when running (your stride freequency will increase to keep the body's rhythm - try it;)).

Basically I end in a similar position to the first posted picture, but with my arms in less of a guard type position.

Goodness, I hate describing techniques in text form :D

20. hux

hux ya, whatever.

[​IMG]

mine looks like that, except mine has more suck.

edit

well, we're trained to keep our front hand higher than that.

/edit