Chung Mu(sp?) pattern

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by hux, Aug 23, 2005.

1. hux

hux ya, whatever.

Good lord, I am never going to get this pattern down. Anybody else struggle with this 360 degree spin? I feel like a flying brick. Just venting.

:bang:

2. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

you will get it eventually, and not many people can do the spin straight away, just keep practicing

3. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Hehe, I was shown this pattern to learn last week. I've got all the movements memorised now, which is good, just a matter of improving it all now. It is the oddest one I've come across so far, seems slightly disjointed, but I guess it flows more with practice. As for the spin, I can do it, but it looks like a ballet pirouette (sp?), so I'm gonna be working on that to get less of a delicate look. :D

4. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

it flows lovely with practice

5. Supremor

Supremor Valued Member

It's certainly very difficult to get at first. Practice again and again and you'll get the co-ordintation right. It's the movement of the hands in the knifehand guarding block that is the hardest thing to get right. But hell, it's all a matter of practice. Do just that movement on its own, and you'll make bigger improvements. Remember to jump first, then spin, or you won't get any height.

6. Alex O

Alex O Ninja flying bellyflop

It's a horrible move, but if you keep your back straight, it improves automatically. It's "Choong - Moo" by the way.

7. Sang

Sang Valued Member

I think that ITF patterns are very difficult, I don't know how you ITF people remember all your patterns. Respect! Grandmaster Park Sung-Jae (9th Dan) told me that it takes a few days or more to learn an ITF pattern while it takes a few hours to learn a WTF pattern. I agreed with him when I tried Gwang-Gae, I struggled big time! ITF patterns are much longer than WTF patterns so there's a lot more to remember.

Keep practising mate, you'll get there!!!

8. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I found that when executing the U block if I kept my backstance shorter then normal it was easier to execute the 360º spin.

9. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Well then no offense, badger, but you're doing the pattern wrong. There's really no need to make your stance shorter in one pattern than in another.

I have seen various versions of this movement, in some cases people simply jump from the fixed stance and spin, others are taught to execute the u-shaped block in L-stance, whilst others retract their front foot first, then jump.

The ITF North Korean demo team retracts the front foot then jumps, and I find that more practical and efficient. Having a shorter width between your feet allows for more spring and a faster turn in mid-air.

10. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

No offence taken, I have seen a lot of people executing the turn from a deep backstance rather than a fixed stance thats all. I hate trying to explain moves in text :bang:

11. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Choong Moo!

Dear All,

Not that it matters much, but Choong Moo is one of my favorite hyungs.

The 360 degree turn will come with time (remember to pull your feet up when you jump) . As with all other things, practice is the key to success!

TAEKWON!
    SpooKeY

12. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

Yeah..... I just started learning this form too, and I must say, my biggest problem is the flying sidekick! XD I'm getting better, but it's gonna take quite a while to get used to. I for some reason can 360º jump easily, but that darn side kick.....

13. Jesse@RTKD

Jesse@RTKD New Member

Turn your head and shoulders round as fast as possible (which is really fast up there) and then jump. The rest of your body will follow. hell i can do a 540 easy this way.

14. hux

hux ya, whatever.

ya, the flying side kick is killing me too :( but I figure it's not quite as hard as the spin move, so I'm concentrating on it first.

re: shallower stance - our instructor won't allow it, says the stance needs to be exactly like any other - he wants both feet leaving the ground at the same time and landing at the same time. Of course he's giving me some slack cause this is an entirely new move for me...kind of like a rhino attempting ballet.

thanks all for your suggestions. I think I'll be at this grade for a long time :(

15. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

I don't know how you're trying the move, so I'll just go by what I've seen a few people have done in the past with Chung Mu/Choong Mu (different variations don't really matter; just an attempt at anglicizing a Korean pronunciation).

I've noticed that, when students made the transition between the U-block to the jump-spin landing into double-knife-hand-guarding-block, they tended to keep their arms in the U-block formation longer than necessary. In other words, as they began their spins, their arms were dragging away from the U-block. That affected their "aerodynamics", so-to-speak.

Here's one thing that you may want to try (hopefully your sabumnim will be OK with it):

After executing the U-block, immediately try sliding your elbows back (keeping them in contact with your sides) as you pivot on your right ball-of-foot (your right foot would be in the same position as if you were about to execute a left reverse turning kick or left spinning hook kick).

From that position, propel yourself up & around, keeping your knees high (you're trying to imagine clearing an attempted sweep or strike to your legs by a pole, a chain, a low leg kick, etc.) and then shoot out your knife-hand blocks immediately upon landing.

As some others have mentioned, break it down into parts: 1) practice getting into the pre-launching position until you get it down pat; 2) practice getting into the actual jump spin until you get that part down; 3) then practice the knife-hand blocks on landing a few times until you've mastered the whole jumping sequence.

Hope it's allowed by your instructor and, if so, hope it helps you even if only a little bit. Best of luck :)

16. Alex O

With the flying side kick - go for it! Most people hold back on this technique and it looks shabby. If you really bring power into it and lift that back leg, it will improve. This and lots of practice and the technique will no longer be a problem. Just remember, this is your last pattern as a colour-belt, so of course it's going to be hard, but it is far from impossible.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  17. hux

hux ya, whatever.

uh....you haven't seen my flying side kick :)

18. Alex O

lol :)
    Practice makes you perfect, or knakered and still as useless.

So long as you have a good instructor, you wont go far wrong.

19. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Flying Side Kick...

Aye Guys (and Gals),

Who does the kick the old school way with a full (right and left) step, and who does it the newer "revised" way?

TAEKWON!
    SpooKeY

20. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

The way I've been taught is from the knifehand guarding block left foot forward in L stance, step forward with the right foot, then bring the left foot up whilst jumping and kicking with the right foot. Hmmm, that sounded confusing, but it's the best I can do at explaining on a forum. :p