Deputy Belts, Are They Useful?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ColdRedRain, Aug 21, 2005.

1. ColdRedRain

ColdRedRain New Member

I've wondered why many dojos and dojangs have deputy belts. Are they useful or just ways of trying to extort more money until you get a blackbelt?

2. ColdRedRain

ColdRedRain New Member

3. someone335

someone335 New Member

What are deputy belts? Like belts with a stripe? like yellow, yellow with stripe, orange, orange and stripe, or are you talking about pre-blackbelt?

4. ColdRedRain

ColdRedRain New Member

Pre-blackbelt.

My school has 4 deputy levels, all costing 280 dollars before you get to the regular blackbelt.

5. incubus

incubus Valued Member

I think its just a way to make more money .... or to make students stay longer for the 'proper' belt .

6. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Well then, in your case, it's probably very safe to assume that it's a method of extorting money. Different schools have different ranking systems, some adhere to the standard scheme, whist others devise their own. The ITF has a defined ranking system, which is adhered to by pretty much every school.

IMHO, delaying someone's 1st Dan like that is just a way of scoring money. The only thing those belts are good for are strangling someone or hogtieing them :p

7. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Woah...I can't leave this..

What an earth can they say to justify $280 a piece for a belt? Does that pay for membership, liability insurance and a small portion towards equipment replacement? If so, then maybe fair enough. How often do oyu take these five belts? Every six months?

8. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

:eek: Find another school.

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Get out of there. Over $1000 before you even get to your black belt test is a complete and total rip off no matter how you look at it. The person charging that should be ashamed, and the people having to pay it are being ripped off, most obviously not looking around to see if they can get a better deal ;)

10. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Often gradings are almost a right not a priverlage - its just the McDojo way of getting $$$$$

I would do a big runner from this club as the guy running it or the organisation is making a killing from people who dont know any better.

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

And I thought £100 for a black belt was a rip!

12. Sonshu

It is you should not have to pay for your belts - that is just my view, when I have done belt work there has been no test at all.

You got it when you were good enough and the club paid for your belt. That is what you pay your subs for.

Too many people make too much money peddling crap - thats my view.

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

At my school we have 4 deputy belts.

But we don't have to pay anything for them. When I signed up for the black belt program, the deputy belts were part of it.

I think that at your school, it might just be them trying to take money from you.

14. Sonshu

Not good as there pointless

Ok thats fine and makes them less of a problem.

ALARM words in bold ALARM ALARM.... Warning Will Robbinson, Warning.

Fair point - you could be heading down the slope as well.

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

There ok if used for motivation and not profit making.

I still hate all belts! People focus on them instead of what they should. Personally I'd rather train with someone wearing a tracksuit than someone training for such a belt....

16. Sonshu

Unless you need his belt to hold him in place?

17. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

No, San Shou, sorry to disappoint you, but not it's not a mcdojang.

Back on topic, the belts are pointless, they're prepare you for a black belt.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  18. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

We have eight preliminary tests between black belt candidate and 1st dan. These are done every two months to keep people on track and there is NO testing fee. In the past, people would get off track and try to cram and we would either have to cut them from the testing cycle or fail them publicly on the test. This has done a lot to get and keep people consistant and on track.

19. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Holy cow batman, thats alot of cash. Sounds fishy to me.

20. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Being RIPPED off!

Somebody is making serious cash from you guys.

I don't believe that ANYBODY should have to pay for gradings, or belts/sashes.

The association i'm a member of does ask for a payment of £20.00 to cover the cost of the examiners time, the certificate, the Sash and registration of the grade, but I pay for this out of club funds as I think they should be free!

I'm gonna get my butt kicked by someone for saying this but hey, too many people making too much money out of people that just want to learn Kung Fu!

Biggest difference I think, is that I will also FAIL people if they are not good enough!
    Where many clubs feel that because a student has payed, that they should pass!

Colin.................

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005