ways to improve balance?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Aikido_Girl918, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Aikido_Girl918

Aikido_Girl918 Banned Banned

i have really bad balance. last week i demonstrated this twice! every week i do something embarrasing as a result of bad balance. anybody have any ideas on how to improve balance?

2. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

3. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Do you mean balance in general, or for example, balance when performing kicks?

4. Simple

Simple New Member

go run only using ur front part of ur foot, i think its call the heel, run around wit ur heel,

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Make sure you are breathing naturally (don't hold your breath).

6. lucas

lucas Valued Member

bend your knees,don't be stiff keep your weight over your hips .
    good luck

7. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Do you mean ball?

8. Simple

Simple New Member

u kno the part that u use to do front kicks wit? that part, walk around wit the ball/heel

9. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

I think you mean the ball, as the heel is the back part of your foot and so you'd look a complete prat running round on your heels, and probably quite painful after a while.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Simple,
    bro... read and learn a bit before posting... you will save yourself a whole lot of grief from people correcting you when you give wrong information to people.

The 'ball' of you foot does not refer to your heel. The heel of the foot is referred to as the 'heel' or the calcaneous bone.

The ball is the front part of your foot - basically the area of the foot where the metatarsal bones are. Take a look at the picture provided... the pad that they are wearing is over the 'ball of the foot.

Attached Files:

11. slipthejab

Here is some further basic anatomy... note the 'metatarsal' bones and at the opposite end note the calcaneous bone... two different ends of the foot.:D

Attached Files:

12. Simple

Simple New Member

sup

u see the wrapped part, walk around wit only that part when u are comfortable try run around wit only usin that part. In my opinion if ur quick wit that part of the foot, no one can touch u in a real fight.

[​IMG]

13. slipthejab

Aikido Girl 918

here are some links... balance can be improved... you will want to improve many of the core muscles that contribute to your sense of balance. Many people are not even aware of these muscles let alone exercises that help to improve them... here's some links for you to check out...

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2balanceexercises.asp

http://www.bodyresults.com/S2coretraining.asp

You can do much to improve your balance with just bodyweight. You can also improve your 'core' or stabilizer muscles by adding resistance with weights... depending on your goals you can use small dumbbells, a medicine ball or work all the way up to heavy weight dumbells.

Combing dumbbells and a Swiss Ball or a medicine ball and a Swiss Ball is a great way to work your core/stabilizer muscles that help to maintain your sense of balance.

The key is to work into it gradually and slowly. You want to remain injury free.. better to go light the first couple times until you get a perfect form down and work up to heavier weights etc.

14. Aikido_Girl918

thankyou, back on topic people!

15. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Is this guy for real?!?

Learn to spell as well, with, using you etc....

16. Sheyja

Sheyja Valued Member

Really simple, but it's what I do all the time.

Stand up straight, balance on one leg and swing the other back and forth, do this 20 times. Switch to other leg and repeat. Always look forwards.

Same posture, lift leg straight sideways 20x, swap and repeat.

Same posture, lift leg in a clockwise rotation, always putting leg back to original position 20x. swap and repeat.

Same movement, but anticlockwise, 20x, swap and repeat.

Then when you're comfortable with these, do them again, but move your head so that your eyes stay focused on your moving foot. Once you cxan keep your balance like that, you'll be all good!

17. seiki juku kid

seiki juku kid New Member

you know those huge ball thingies (dont know what they're usually used for) that you get in the gym for stretching on? if you sit on one of those when you're watching tv it apparently helps your balance cos you have to keep yourself from falling off it!

18. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

Keep your supporting leg bent when standing on one foot, and work your core muscles in your free time. Check out the health and fitness section, because there's a stickied link to a really good core workout. I believe it was started by Kickchick, and is titled "Test your Core Strength" or something. Yoda then linked a wheel you can buy to do some core strengthening exercises.

19. Aikido_Girl918

okay, thanks!

20. ColdRedRain

ColdRedRain New Member

Practice. Lots of it.