Rapists- Deserving of mercy?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rainofblades, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Rainofblades

Rainofblades New Member

I was repling to another thread and the topic of rape came up.

Basically, I saved this girl from being raped just because the aggressor knew i was a martial artist. Once I came in the room, he just stopped. (http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37662&page=1&pp=15 Thats the whole story, the post is somewhat toward the bottom/middle of the page)

If you read the story, you'll understand that i didn't know he actually planned to assault her sexually at that time. I later admited that had i known, I wouldnt have let him leave that house without a serious beating. And not only that, I'll admit now that i would've been proud to do it.

The reason for the animosity is because i've had several friends (female) who are victims of rape and i saw how it affected their lives. Some of them still suffer from the memory of it when it happened six months or even a year before. Nobody deserves to have that happen to them and if its a choice between that and beating the daylights out of some guy whether i hardly know him or hes my best friend, I wouldn't think twice about fighting.

Share some thoughts / comments / scoldings etc.

2. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

1. There is no such thing as committing a crime by intention.
    2. If you feel the way you do the best thing you can do for yourself and others is become very familiar with the laws in your area, how they work, and how to rely upon them to get real physical results.

The situation you described may have been the commission of a felony/indictable offence: sexual assault.
    In cases of sexual assault, no penetration is required.

3. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Nobody here is going to disagree with you on that rape is deserving of punishment and not mercy.

Obviously there's a line to be drawn. I wouldn't be happy with you gouging his eyes out or anything like that. It has to be proportionate 'punishment'.

4. Rainofblades

Rainofblades New Member

Yeah im not gonna blind the guy especially when he didnt *actually* do it YET. Maybe if he had done it i'd consider it, but that guy was DAMN lucky i didnt put his face in the dirt.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The punishment should fit the crime.

6. ManabiMashoMan

ManabiMashoMan Banned Banned

You can lose a arm and still feel, you can lose an eye and still see, you can lose an ear and still hear, you can lose your tounge and still communicate. But when someone is Raped you lose a part of your soul for life. There is no getting over it, there is no therapy, and there is no way to ever feel at peace, The bible says Let not a poisoner of life live...this means those that make life unbearable and continue to do it....rapists, murderers, molesters......I believe that these people are too far gone to correct, or rehabilitate, and those that disagree with me, have probably never studied these cases or been a victim.

I bounced at a bar and once this guy grabs another girl and chokes her so she dances with him, she was crying and a few security seen it. The guy in front of a entire room of people then ripped off the girls dress and bra and threw her down on the dance floor and noone stopped it. The security ran to pull him off and I was behind the guy was actualy fighting us off him to get to her and the girl was terrorized. My brother who bounces with me hit the guy in his throat with a pp hit and then grabbed the guys leg and did an ankle lock till it snapped, the other bouncers hit him and pulled him out.

After the police got there and took the guy away and we said the guy broke his foot by wrestling we all took a deep breathe and went inside. During the fight I was able to punch the guys ribs and shattered them. I later learned the girl this guy attacked was a local church chour singer who stopped by to only use the phone, and she didn't know the guy.

Even though she didn't know him and he didn't actualy have intercourse with her, it shook her up so bad she never went back to church and is now afraid to go outside her house. My brother and myself now wish that we would have unleashed our power on this guy, if he were to be crippled the rest of his life, or died she would have probably gotten over it. Now she has to face that fact that this guy is out there somewhere and by now fully recovered.

Id ask everyone to seriously think this subject over and not complain or judge untill you are placed in the situation.

7. Simple

Simple New Member

yo

find and beat that crap out of that rapist, what they do is ruin people lives.

8. Rainofblades

Rainofblades New Member

Yeah even having that threat so close messed her up i believ it. You did good, i only wish you'd've hurt him more.

My JKD sifu once took revenge for his friend. She told him the guys name and sifu looked him up, went to his house, beat him senseless, and actually ended up hurting the girl more because it was like a few months after the attack and even tho the guy was never reported or arrested. She had put it behind her and tried to get over it but my sifu's dish of retribution dragged it back up.

Its just bad when you say "Tell me where he lives i'll go have a little 'talk' with him." and they say "No i just want to let it go."
    Cuz then you feel likie theres nothing you can do to help.

9. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Rapists should be ass raped by Bubba in prison before being tortured to death with pineapples in their ass, and then after a few months/years of torture, killed slowly and painfully.

I don't care if someone doesnt actually someone rape someone but if they were intending to do it then its the same, intent or attempt to commint a crime is the same as commiting it in my books.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

hmmm... seems you've got some issues yourself there mate. :D

Well luckily there are larger abstract concepts that apply when it comes to implementing and enforcing laws. A knee jerk reaction (like the on above) is counter productive.

In fact it's much the same arguement Bush tried to use for his invasion of Iraq. Once it became clear (as if it wasn't clear enough) that they weren't going to find any WMD's he scrambled and came up with the idea that they could pose a threat to the US and therefore should be invaded/bombed/slaughtered.

Understand that wording in that.... could pose a threat.... it's the same as what your suggesting. No crime has occurred yet... so you can not inflict punishment for something that has the possibility to occur. To try and apply punishment for something that could or might possibley happen.. is plain scary and incredibley dumb. That kind of philosiphy fast careens of down the slippery slope of arbitrary punishment and summary execution.

11. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

I am a woman, I hate rapists. I believe they should get the worst punishment ever.

Rapists are hideous persons, they deserve to be mistreated.

12. slipthejab

ok...

*slips into devils advocate suit*

then how should society deal with a rapist who has committed the crime of rape, been convicted, served his time and been released?

Does he still deserve to be mistreated. Is he still a hideous person?

What about rapists that are not repeat offenders?

13. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

What about the ones who go to court and have a good barrister and get away with it. How many women have to go through the process of court and see the guy only go to prison for about 18 month and see them go back to where they was living before they got sent there in the first place.

I do know a guy who got sent to prison for the lesser crimes he did to some friends of mine as he terrorized them as kids. He only served a 18 months of a three year sentence which is so wrong. I was told that he was put on the sex offenders list and now lives near children and has a lot to do with the neighbours kids where he lives.
    I do know that my friend has told some of the neighbours what he is and warned as many as she can abouthim being a sex offender and he souldn't be allowed anywhere kids for the rest of his life.
    I do know that he raped my friend a few times and I know it still bothers her a great deal as she's really angry at the system which allowed him to get away with it. She is trying her best to move on but when she hears about him from the people who see him then she says it's like a knife being twisted in her stomach.
    Should he carry on getting away with the stuff as he's only served 18 months and got away with the rapes he did on my friend or should she watch and wait for an appropriate time to see justice happen for her. I have tried to talk her out of getting revenge for all he's done but to her she says that she has nothing to lose as the same system will judge her in the same way.
    lisa xx

14. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

Rapists do not deserve mercy,
    they deserve life in prison with a 300lb man named Mary

15. slipthejab

errmm... that's answering a question with a question. :D

Again.. it's attempting to anwer a question with a question.

Same thing again. The question you're asking in an attempt to respond to my questions is qualitatively different in nature. Whether or not the 'system' works is a completely different question from what I've posted. Not that it's not worthy of debate... but it's hardly a response or rebuttal to the question that I've posted.

16. slipthejab

enough with the knee jerk reactions already.

yes they sound very tough on the internet... but they have little thought behind them... try posting something that will give people more insight into the issue at hand.

17. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

slipthejab,
    I'm also asking questions as well or don't you see this.

This guy did it to my friend as well as others and he got away with it.
    What I'm trying to do is just make a point about a real life crime which happened to my friend.
    I used your reply to enter the debate not to use it for having a go at anyone, it's a serious crime and the system didn't work for my friend seeing he got off with it.
    lisa xx

18. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

Once again the situation described by RainofBlades was probably the actual commission of a crime: sexual assault.

You don't need penetration to commit sexual assault. Any forcible sexual advance to a person may be roughly described as sexual assault. As a felony/indictable offence you are also perfectly within your rights to arrest the attacker by means of physical restraint, where you have witnessed the crime, until police are present. You cannot however arrest and individual under the direction of another person unless they are a police officer, you must have witnessed a crime yourself.

The penalties for sexual assault may be very severe, roughly equivalent to 2nd degree rape in the US and similarly a form of rape by Commonwealth law.

So if you hear a person fighting off another person's sexual advances, get there immediately and if they haven't backed off, arrest *cough* them. Then call the police and have them charged to boot.

If you didn't see anything, unless there's physical evidence a crime took place (ie. her clothes are torn and she looks bruised, in which case immediately call the police), all you can really do is emotionally support the inevitably shaken victim.

19. slipthejab

ah ok.. I see where you're coming from now. No worries. :D

It appeared that you were answering a question with another one as if the example of your friends problem was somehow justification for the extreme punishments of rapists.

And yes I agree with you that the issue that you brought into the debate is a serious and valid one. One that is perhaps very deeply rooted in the system itself.

20. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Rapists do not deserve mercy, they deserve a bullet in the brain. Simple as that. Same goes for child molesters and drug dealers.