Popping Sound inside of Right Hip

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DirtyHarry, Jul 30, 2005.

1. DirtyHarry

DirtyHarry Warrior

hey everyone! to start of this thread, NO, i am not 80 years old lol, more like 16. Everytime I do a leg raise with my right leg (which means keeping the leg straight and raising it to touch your hand), when i lower it, right when I get like half-way down I hear and feel a popping action inside my hip. My theory is that where my leg and hip are joined, the femur bone is double-jointing or something. Any help? Could this be a bad thing?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  2. stevecal

stevecal New Member

I have the same problem except while extending the leg. It is a pop sound. I t doesn't really hurt. I feel a very slight pull as if something dislocates. Maybe a tendon slipping out of the groove?

Steve

3. DirtyHarry

DirtyHarry Warrior

yea it doesnt hurt at all it just feels and sounds like something popping. someone could stand like 5 feet away and still hear it lol. it doesnt sound as bad when i normally kick just when i raise my leg. Any more help?

4. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

There was a thread about popping noises very recently

I believe the consensus was that if it doesnt hurt at all, its not bad enough for you to worry. But if it is accompanied by a pain of any kind, get it checked.

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I get it in my shoulders the odd time. As has already been said, if it doesn't hurt then it's usually not a problem.

6. I get the same thing as the original poster but on the left side. Doesn't hurt but it sure feels awkward and I don't like it at all. I know it aint life threatening, but is there a name for this condition?

7. RobA

RobA New Member

I have a similair Pop in my right hip when raising it above my belt line, this popping doesnt happen with the left leg.. The popping sometimes accompanied with some discomfort.. any ideas or is this something I should just learn to live with??

8. Kyouretsu

Kyouretsu New Member

My right hip pops when I do sit ups. It is mildly uncomfortable, but doesn't cause true pain.
    I asked my doctor about it and he said that it is nothing to worry about unless it starts to cause real pain. He said that the alignment of my hips is probably not perfect for that motion... so it "pops out of the way" to allow it to happen. He said it is common and that I shouldn't worry unless it hurts and continues to hurt even after I stop that motion.

9. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

garrrgghhhh.... i hate the term double jointed!!! :bang: :bang: :bang:
    you dont have extra joints, everyone has the same amount unless they are born with a deformality!

10. Incredible Bulk

My hip pops and clunks when i do some sit ups :p

no pain, just very loud and freaks out my house mate when i'm doing them

11. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

me too, running and squats sorted it although it still does occasionally. If you want to avoid it try moving the leg out slightly at the hip when doing sit-ups. i found it worse when keeping my legs togehter.

12. Incredible Bulk

whats the name of the situp where you bring your knees to your chest and then lower your legs and your back?

well, they make me sound like i'm playing table tennis (ping pong) lol

13. Kyouretsu

Kyouretsu New Member

that sounds the same as mine... pop and clunk.
    It does tend to freak people out when they hear it

I have found that if I keep my right knee rotated slightly outwards and don't bend my right leg as much as I do my left that the popping tends to decrease slightly

14. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

lying leg raises. they will make it worse, because a popping around the hip is usually hip flexor related and that is an exercise to strengthen the hip flexors.

15. jon-m

jon-m New Member

Same for me! popping, clunking etc.
    I had mine checked, it's very common 'problem' as you can see! Its called 'snapping hip syndrome' - basically it means that the top of the femur where it meets the hip joint there is a little nuzzle that sticks out, everyone has one, for people with snapping hips, this nuzzle glides under the tendons in that area, when this happens a snap or popping sound can be felt sometimes it can be very loud (a bit like plucking a giutar string). I've got a couple of opinions on it, all of which say it's not life threatening!

Jon

16. Kyouretsu

Kyouretsu New Member

Couldn't we come up with a better name for it though... make it sound tough! lol

17. jon-m

jon-m New Member

Femur nasty lump condition...

18. Kyouretsu

Kyouretsu New Member

ROFLMAO