Pankration and Shootfighting

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Zapatista, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Zapatista

Zapatista New Member

Okay, I would like to do MMA competitions eventually so I was wondering what I should train in. I know Pankration and Shootfighting are good for MMA because they teach both striking and grappling but would either of those be better than doing BJJ and Muay Thai seperatly? Cost is an issue so I assume it would be cheaper to do the Pankration or Shootfighting instead of both MT and BJJ. Also are there competitions in Pankration or Shootfighting like there are in Judo, lets say?

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

If you want to go for MMA comps then I would suggest you seek out a MMA club that has fighters already competing. You may find that a MT club will solely focus on MT comp's giving you less of a chance to get into the MMA sport. BJJ will probably have stronger links to MMA.

Where are you from and maybe somebody could point you in the right direction

3. Zapatista

Zapatista New Member

I'm from the south-southwestern suburbs of Chicago. I know there are some gyms in the city but the fees would be expensive and the transportation would be even more expensive. I've been looking at a Judo school and they teach Ju Jitsu (actually you have to learn the basics of that before you can do Judo) and they also teach Gracie Ju Jitsu, but I think that is a highly selective program. Right now I'm looking at either Judo or Pankration.

4. johndoch

johndoch upurs

If its for MMA training I would tend to favour the pankration because of the standup. But thats only my opinion

5. Lekta

Lekta Super-Valued Power Member

I would never personaly do pankration because if a martial art's ONLY Grand Master looks like this,

[​IMG]

something is wrong...

6. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Pankration = Pancrase ???

7. Lekta

No, it means

all-encompassing powers

Another pothole for money if ya ask me. Stick to BJJ,Muay Thai and the like. Stay away from arts where a random guy is the only "Master"

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I see nothing wrong there. I'd be more inclined to beleive he's a "Grand Master" looking like that than some of the old farts we see around the world. Looks like he's spent more time training and less time in front of the mirror. In fact he probably doesn't even own a hair brush.

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

bjj & muay thai seperately would mean that it would be up to you to integrate them into a cohisive workable style. shootfighting and pankration are taught as integrated systems.

pancrase is what the japanese thought of how pankration should be done. pancrase is not a style but a tournament. pankration is both a style and a tournament.

10. Jesh

Then what have I been studying all this time ??? :eek:

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

you've been learning a style of fighting that would be applicable in pancrase. i could be mistaken. (bas rutten don't kill me. i'm still your biggest fan).

12. Lekta

Yet he is part of one of those scam SD web sites.

http://www.trsdirect.com/

The discussion on it is here

http://martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36712

I'm not challenging you about it, cause I know what happens when you challenge an aikido wolfie; you get the ears! :)

13. Tomanak

Tomanak Nil Desperendum

A word about TRS: Its Bob Pierce who is the scammer, and not necessarily the martial artists he features. I've talked to some of the guys Pierce has featured in his site, and the common story is that they produce the video with the agreement that Pierce handles the marketing side exclusively. That's when the dung hits the dungarees and all those wild, crazy, and laughable claims/stories are made.

I've had the good pleasure of working with some of the guys featured in TRS, and some of them even make fun of the way Pierce has built up the charade. Paul Vunak is in the TRS stable, and I personally think he's an awesome fighter. Of course, two of the guys I have the highest respect for, Jesse Lechuga and Joe Nepo have (unfortunately) made TRS videos. I've seen these videos, and believe me, they HELD BACK the good stuff. I don't think anyone can dispute the credibility of guys like Oleg Taktarov and Nir Maman, and yet there they are on the TRS website, being given the "PHT" -- Pierce Hype Treatment.

In my opinion, the same thing applies to Jimmy Arvanitis of Mu Tau Pankration. I've not only trained but sparred live with this guy, and let me tell you he's one skilled man. Yes, he's quite the eccentric one (no offense Jimmy, but I have a hard time talking to you when you've got the loose robes on) but thatdoesn't take away the fact that (in my humble opinion) he's a heck of a martial artist.

14. Jesh

Hehehe... my teacher studied with Bas Rutten (holds a 2nd dan in it). So I learn the BR system of Pancrase... And no, I´m his biggest fan :D

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I knew I had seen that guy somewhere lol. :p Hmm the ears ... who've you been talking to? I'm a perfectly nice widdle wolfie. :D