Choy Le Fut no kicking?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Boogz, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Boogz

Boogz New Member

I've checked around sites, searched a bit. So far all I've been seeing is punching no kicking. So do you kick at all is Choy Le Fut because that's the MA I'm getting into in the future.

Thanks

2. Boogz

Boogz New Member

Ah, I should of read better, there is kicking. But I read the 10 elements and they are all punching...

3. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

There is kicking in CLF, it just isn't the primary foccus. That mentaility is common among southern chinese styles, as the area they spawned in wasn't conducive to a great deal of kicking. I don't think CLF suffers in any way for it's foccus on fist more than feet.

4. Boogz

Boogz New Member

Another person from San Diego, tight! Thanks for your post.

5. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Northern leg, Southern fist.

6. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Kicking isn't that pronounced in CLF. In the Lau Bun Hung-Sing from what I know, don't kick much. Buk Sing has more kicks, but they are also much more Northern. My Lee Koon Hung CLF has kicks, but i don't use them much. Just a personal preference at that.

7. Boogz

Boogz New Member

Even though you have no kicks, is it easy to beat a street fighter quickly?
    EDIT: How many years have you been in it?

8. BendzR

BendzR New Member

I have done Buk Sing for a few years and have stopped recently, because of my school going downhill and anyone that is decent has left. Very annoyed, and still trying to find a new place to train at.

Anyways, Buk Sing had almost zero kicking. The only kick that is used in a practical sense, and the only one we would practise often, was a straight forward jab like kick, almost like an ostrich kick. You aim at the centre of gravity of a person, just underneath their belly button. If you can get ur balance and timing right on this, it would literally win the fight for you (assuming it was a clean hit). If it's done properly (timing wise, especially) its very effective.

About a year ago, one of the top students (trained from 14 years old, is currently 22) was taking on a very big MT (muay thai) fighter in the ring. The MT fighter had the front foot the entire fight, but Marko is quite a tough guy, and was taking the beating quite well. Few rounds in, Marko does the kick I explained above, and winded the guy, and a few arm swings followed, knocking the big mofo out cold. It totally swung the fight for him.

Personally, I never enjoyed the kick much, since I found it difficult to get my timing right and didn't get much power out of it. There were no real other kicks that we trained on a regular/sparring basis.

My favourite thing about CLF was the use of the fore arms. Forearm swing coming down to the opponents neck usually doesn't miss. If it is blocked, and your arm conditioning is good, it doesn't matter because you can really hurt someone even if they blocked you.

If I had to get my unfit **** into a street fight tomorrow, I would probably stick with using my forearms. Even though my conditioning would have gone down over the last few months, your arms don't go completely soft after doing proper conditioning for a long time.

Charp-Chui's (leopard fist strikes) to the face or neck are pretty bad and can turn a fight for you. Although I wouldn't recomend doing it if your charps aren't very conditioned, or you will definitely hurt your hand.

Either way, CLF is a decent art, and if trained properly and with dedication it will definitely make you into a solid fighter.

Good luck in your future training ;)

9. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

“Northern leg, Southern fist”
    The reference to northern leg usually refers more to CLF footwork than kicking.

10. Boogz

Boogz New Member

Hey thanks, I really enjoyed the lil' story. And how many(average) years do you have to be in CLF in order to use it effectively on the streets?

11. Boogz

Boogz New Member

Also, they only teach you kicking and punching? No breaking bones etc.

12. BendzR

BendzR New Member

Depends how long you train, and depends on the training enviroment, depends on your school and depends on the individual.

If you're able to train for a few hours a week, and you really are into your art, and its a decent school that does focus on the things that count, you can get pretty serious within a year or two.

But like I said, it depends. After 4 years you should be quite efficient, even if you're not going at a really fast pace.

As for breaking bones, thats one of my favourite things in CLF. I mentioned I enjoyed the use of forearms. Well those two sort of go hand in hand ;)

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Hmmm. . . . . the standup jointlocks are usually taught after the 10 Seed punches and a few forms, the are generally a bit more advanced.

However like BendZ (how are you btw? haven't seen you in a while) explained, you will be an excellent striker. Having him say his friend knocking out a Muay Thai fighter, I believe him. I don't care what art you do, getting hit solidly by a few Sao Choys is going to hurt.

Sao Choys are the forearm attacks btw, kinda like a really big hook coming down at a 45 degree angle.

Anyways, sorry about me saying Buk Sing has more kicking, but that's what I heard from people cuz they all say Buk Sing has more Northern flavor. However if you watch all CLF they all tend to have northern footwork, whether this is heavy or light depends on the lineage and personal preferences.

Your punching will be above average, your kicking will be average or below average, depending on how much you train in it.

And yes I'm confident I can knock some random street punk's ass down pretty fast.

14. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

It depends on the 'style' of CLF that you do. In my school we cover all the kicks, ranging from leg sweeps right up to jumping spinning crescent kicks, a few of us (i.e. me ;) ) can even do jumping triple front kicks (useless in a real situation I know, but it impresses the ladies :love: :love: :love:, well ok maybe not :( )

15. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Well, we have all that nice stuff, even jumping crescent kicks in our forms, but I'm never going to use them.

And no, I find talking about my latest KO much more appealing to the ladies than some flashy annoying kick.

16. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Kicking in our forms are very limited to flicks, push kicks, the odd side kick and jumping doubles, it's all about the hands!

However, I'm fairly sure women aren't overly impressed with flashy kicks, ko's etc. etc., but they do seem to be impressed by talking chimps :D :D :D

17. aaron

aaron Chinese Martial Artist

Its choy lay fut... thats my style.

Choy Lay fut fits in many branches, and 2 styles. Northern and southern.

The Northern style is all about kicks. This is due to people in china in the north that lived in mountains and and were tall.

The southern style is all about balance and punch. This is due to the people in china who lived in the south and were farmers.

There is kicking in choy lay fut depending what style. Southern style will have less kicking. Southern style is the best for fighting because it trains your basic skills and trains your stances such as horse stance.
    Northern Style is all about flashy moves and such. A person with Northern style seems to excel faster than the person with southern style in the beginning, but in the end the southern wins because its the main style of choy lay fut.

In history, Southern stylists of choylayfut had rivalries between wingchun users. But my master says there is a weakness with wingchun and its style.

18. PantherFist

PantherFist Valued Member

Southern styles are no better than Northern styles, as I have said before in another post, its the fighter that wins fights not the style. Not all Northern styles are flashy, take Baji for example a non flashy, but very powerful style.

19. Lam Tong Long

Lam Tong Long New Member

Hey Pantherfist,

Long time mate. Hope you are ok? You just vanished off the face of the earth a while back.

Gimme a bell and let me know what you've been up to..

Jay

20. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Well, I'm glad to see our CLF family is finally back up to speed.

What's up guys.