how to revive people after being choked out?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bruce lee 3 e's, Jul 20, 2005.

1. bruce lee 3 e's

bruce lee 3 e's New Member

hello. i was wondering if anyone could tell me if there were any special techniques to reviving people after they are choked unconciuos? if you dont do anything, will they eventually come out of it on their own? thanks. any info will be appreciated.

2. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Start by letting go of their kneck.

3. soon

soon New Member

Why? Just run.... :D

4. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

Well that depends on how long you held the choke on for after they went limp,hold it to long and theres a good chance you could kill them.
    Chokes work by stopping or restricting the blood and oxygen flow to the brain.
    Do you know the recovery position?its a good start if you do,usaully it dosnt take long for some one too come to once the choke has stopped and the blood and oxygen flow comes back to the brain,give the neck a good rub or a cold flanel on the face,oh and somepeople throw up when they wake up.
    Chokes are dangerous be very careful with them,I tap out just before the lights go out ,but I have been choked out a few times.

5. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

You're right, they're unpredicatable and could quite easily kill. That would be a bad day, start by having a bit of a laugh finish at the police station wondering if you're going to be charged with manslaughter.

6. bruce lee 3 e's

bruce lee 3 e's New Member

that is exactly what i am afraid of. im not trying to kill anyone. you talk about recovery positions, like laying them on there back? ive never been choked out myself yet(would prefer not ot either) so am wondering for my opponents safety and also my own. i once read that JUDO gene labell choked out a boxer and they couldnt revive him so thay had to get labell's trainer to do it. not a bad idea to know.

7. Punch-Kik-Choke

Punch-Kik-Choke Banned Banned

It's VERY unlikely (read: almost impossible) to kill somebody 'by accident' with a standard blood-choke.

Usually the person will come to in a matter of seconds.

How many people die Via RNC at MMA/judo/jiujitsu competitions?
    I have not heard of a single fatality.

8. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

If the victim is not consciouss you procede with CPR.

First check if the victim is still breathing. If not, start ventilating, then check pulse, and all that.

It would be a very long post if I explain every detail of how to do CPR.

It would be nice if you take some first aid classes.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I guess someone forgot to tell the L.A.P.D. that one eh?

And they must have also missed the San Bernadino County Sheriffs Dept.

It became such a problem on the Police force that they had to re-write procedure and now the technique is technique is technicallly illegal for them to employ.

To the original poster:

Get yourself to a first aid class... anything less (like assuming that you could realistically learn it of a MA forum.. is foolish in the extreme!)

10. Punch-Kik-Choke

Cops are killing people with Correctly trained and applied rear naked chokes?

source?
    http://www.aikiweb.com/techniques/gunther1.html according to this they were poorly applied air chokes.

Check this out http://www.grapplearts.com/BJJ-for-Police.htm

Yup, still using the RNC. scroll down to the bottom for pics.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  11. slipthejab

Here's a start for you... with valid sources and previously published in respected peer review publications.

If you still find this unbelievable there are plenty more references to it in the popular news. On the more anecdotal level my family has been in law enforcement for next to forever.. my mom can slap a choke on people faster than most can say Jack Robinson. LOL!

12. Punch-Kik-Choke

Again...

"correctly applied RNC"
    The cases you posted are 2/3's about strangulations (air chokes) and the final third relates to improperly applied chokes by people not trained to do them.

Right at the bottom of your article.

2.To revise the police training manuals to emphasize the above procedures. These are the procedures and principles taught by judo instructors which have prevented deaths caused by shime-waza in the sport of judo for over 100 years

13. slipthejab

LOL... and half of the noobs rolling know correctly applied RNC's?
    Not likely. Whether or not the RNC was 'correctly' applied is infinitley debateable after a person is dead maybe.

14. Punch-Kik-Choke

I dont doubt that air chokes are very dangerous indeed... Blood can be dangerous if done wrong, but c'mon after 2 judo classes you should be able to do it right.

so, Any reference to Judo/BJJ n00bs dying from RNCs? :D

15. slipthejab

No, but I think the subtle but crucial difference here is the Judo/BJJ nOObs have an instructor around to keep things from getting out of control.

Wher as Police officers and the like have a myriad of other issues present and don't necessarily have someone who will step in and say.. ok back it off.

16. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

You should have added "Any responses in the next couple of minutes would be very handy, thank you"

17. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

First a first aid course is a good idea but they are not going to address how to bring someone around after a choke out. Unless they are martial arts instructors they are just going to tell you not to choke people. It is however a very good idea to learn first aid including CPR. There are various ways I have used from a couple of slaps to the face or rubbing your knuckles on the sternum. There is also the old judo standby, which is sitting them up and using your knee in their back to bring them around. The point being for your sake and your training partners you need proper supervision when you are using chokes. As far as killing someone with a choke unless they have a medical condition you have to be trying to hurt them to damage them. Once they are out you just back off the choke. The cops accidentally kill people most off the time by trying to hold them down on there stomach which collapses their lungs. This happens when 4 or 5 cops are on someone trying to get control of them. Now a lot of departments mandate you must turn the suspect on their back once you gain control to help prevent this.

18. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Why are you choking someone to the point of unconciousness anyway?

Your instructor should be well aware of what to do, as these things do happen occassionally when someone thinks..."I'm sure I can get out of..." and then they go limp! If that happens let go straight away

I personally think chokes are one of the most dangerous techniques to be using without supervision. If someone doesn't come around within 20 seconds max, then you need to start worrying!

There are Katsu techniques that work, but you can't learn them from a website. You are better off sticking with basics. Recovery position first and allow them time to come to by themselves. Giving them a gentle few slaps and trying a bottle of smelling salts may aid quicker recovery, but if not...call an ambulance.

If the damage has been caused by throat compression there will be very little you can do anyway!

19. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member