Ki Chuan Do - one of the best Self Defense systems

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by oldyangtaiji, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

Hey, you want the real stuff? You don't like choreographed and good-looking martial arts? You are searching for self-defense that really works and that can be used in any situation? Ki Chuan Do is for you! It is also easy to learn.
    I have experience in various martial arts and I found that KCD is realy what I was searching for! Easy, natural, effective and instinctive self defense movements.

I was seraching fot combat (self defense) version of Yang style Taijiquan and I found about John Perkins (he also studied with the Yang style Taijiquan master Waysun Liao). When I found it I frstly thinked that is another commercial No explicatives hidden or otherwise please (as are many around), but I discovered that it is an exellent self defense system. When I was searching in analized it I found that it contain only movements that works! In my prior martial arts experiences (mainly Karate and Taijiquan with experienses with Ju-jitsu, JKD, Aikido and Kickboxing) there was a lot of stuff that were not useful in real selfdefense but are practiced because they are part of that martial art.

KCD is a simple and effective self defense sistem. It has only stuff that works. In my opinion is one of the best self defense sistems if not the best! I opened also a page dedicated to Self Defense and Ki Chan Do.

http://www.geocities.com/oldyangtaijiquan/samoobramba.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2005
  2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm curious how long you studied Aikido for and under whom. And the same would go for the other MA's you mention to have studied as well.

What in particular did you find 'not useful in real self defense'?

I am also curious how much of all of the above mentioned MA's you've actually had to use in real self defense.

And now that you have your snazzy new MA that works for real self defense .. have you had to use it yet?

If not... how do you know it works?! :confused:

If this...
    http://user21165.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/Grappling_against_KCD.mov

is an example of how your defending against a grappler... err... get a grappler...one that actually seems to want to take the person to the ground... the one is the video seems to know nothing of 'shooting' and appears unversed in a 'single leg take down'. Not very impressive. He doesn't look too intent of grounding the victim.

And this...

http://user21165.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/web_movie_4.mov

lol... sorry mate.. absolute RUBBISH!!!!!!!!! A very good way to end up dead.... right after getting bootstomped and stabbed in the neck and back. This is clip is pure BULLSHIDO!!!! :eek:

man... not to beat a dead horse.. but this...

http://user21165.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/GRAPKNIFE.mov

...is insane. The kicking techniques they're showing will get you stabbed in the foot or shin faster than you can blink. If you watch the kickers get's stabbed anyhow despite his attempts at kicking the guy.

The guy does do some nifty marketing though. Very much in the vein of combatives... some of it seems a wee bit pricey...

Ouch! Now that could hurt ya! :D

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

OMG!!! So funny!

The guy in the first clip doesn't know how to grapple AND has no intent to try and take down the oponent.

The second clip seems to show how you beat multiple armed attackers PROVIDING they dont stab yopu when your back is turned and in fact dont attempt to attack at all using the knife.

The thrid one demonstrates how you get stabbed if you grapple and dont in nay way attempt to control the knife and how you get stabbed anyway if you use kicking techniques.

Also a genuine question, is that post just ripped from the website by any chance?

4. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

hahahha, oh man, that was hilarious.

5. oldyangtaiji

Don't judge KCD too soon. Its "Attack Proof" section is dedicated for normal people (that are not trained) to teach them how to defend themselfs.
    This post don't want to be a commercial! KCD is a sistem that uses Close Combat strikes, Taijiquan sensivity and energy and native American groundfighting. It uses the best of the three styles. What I realy like is that it uses movements and principles and don't have any prearanged techniques. Also Systema use similar philosophy.
    I don't say that it is better than any other system, but I only want to propose that "natural flowing mowements" can be better than "fixed techniques". Also that in real life self defense some martial arts movements/techniques maybe will not work.

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

The grappling clip is especially bad as the gentleman attempting to grapple, as slip the jab pointed out, seems to have no idea how to shoot.

I've seen their material before and have never been particularly impressed by it. And it doesn't seem that I'm the only one, :)

- Matt

7. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

:eek: I like the enviromental aspect created for the elevator scenario but not controlling and neutralizing the weapon is literally a fatal mistake, especially in that situation. Pushing them off and keeping distance is great when you have the option to run. That trick works once then they start stabbing at your legs and feet.

;) Sure, this isn't a publicity stunt. :rolleyes:

8. Matt_Bernius

Great breakdown of the issues we have with the elevator scenario (and note that the kickers legs were being stabbed towards the end).

If it is a publicity stunt, it's probably not having the hoped for result (one of the reasons I'm letting this one stick around).

- Matt

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

So wait, lemme see if I get this straight. This system, which based on what I've seen is utter rubbish, for the record, is designed for the "average joe". OK, so you post it here, on an MA forum, with experienced MAers, and we can blow holes in it pointing out all the flaws.

If experinced MAers couldn't make it work without correction, how in the blue blazes can an average joe use it effectively without getting killed?!?

10. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

So how much commission are you getting oldyangtaiji? Sorry mate but we've heard it all before.

11. oldyangtaiji

Because KCD is mainly based on Close Combat I found that many similar elements can be find in Close Combat derivates like Urban Combatives (Lee Morrison), ShivWorks, Senshido (Richard Dimitri) and others, but they maybe lack in "sensivity and energy" (Taijiquan elements) and groundfighting (Native American Freestyle Fighting). Some Close Combat versions have developed very good self defense systems! But I fount that many are too much commercial. I hope that KCD will not becomed too commercial.
    One of its main part of self defense is Awareness! Maybe this can save a live to an "average joe", but an "experinced martial artist" that maybe will not timely escape maybe will be killed. I am not saying that an average joe will beat an experinced martial artist! I am only saying that in a real lile an attack could be different that one in the classroom or in the ring.

12. Matt_Bernius

The importance of awareness in self defense can never be understated.

Unfortunately, while you might find systems like Senshido overhyped, from what I've seen of thier material, I think their overall responses are superior to what I've seen here.

But if you've found something that works for you, more power to you.

- Matt

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I was trying to be balanced in my criticism but got stuck.

Sorry, but it's crap.

14. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

What I realy like is that it uses movements and principles and don't have any prearanged techniques.
    One of its main part of self defense is Awareness

A couple of you quotes here i will pick up on which maybe point out that you did not spend enough time studying the other arts you mentioned. Any martial art studied long enough should work towards this goal of not having prearranged ideas.Thats one of the ideas behind constant practise you do it enough times so you do not have to think about it. Also find me a martial art that does not teach awareness. If your previous clubs missed this out go and ask for your money back. Maybe you should spent a bit more time learning about yje other arts you played with.

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

OK, the creator of the style claims that one of the components of his MA training is ANCIENT GREEK MA. Am I the only one this sends red flags up for? He learned it from where? The secret cabal of Greek fighters who claim an unbroken lineage with some ancient greek boxer and have been handed down ancient greek secrets from generation to generation? Native American groundfighting? Taught to a gringo? C'mon, give us a little bit of credit!

This is a home-based DVD program. You're going to train aliveness how? With your remote? How can you teach self-defense without aliveness!

Believe what you want, but I guarantee this art has never been pressure tested against anyone of any reputation, and without aliveness it's a scam to get joe and jane blow to fork over ridiculous amounts of money to learn some crap this guy who's dojo-hopped claims is "self-defense". And when these poor schmucks get killed, it'l be because they didn't do something right. Thanks, but I'll take my pressure-tested alive REAL martial art over this hyped up scamjob anyday.

Pathetic.

16. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

LOL good laugh that, shouldnt this be moved to the jokes section?

17. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

im sorry but that deserves another LOL especially to the multiple opponents one,

18. oldyangtaiji

I don't think that the Close Combat or the (Yang style) Taijiquan are a joke!Close Combat is a (WWII and after) tested western self defense system (is simple and effective). Also Taijiquan is an exellent martial art, maybe one of the best (it is effective but hard to learn). They are the source for the KCD, so what could be wrong?
    Also the native american groundfighting looks great (I don't yave experience with it): http://user21165.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/web_movie_4.mov
    My opinion is that they commercial video si great: http://user21165.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/KCD_COMM_FIXED.mov
    It is only a mixed self-defense system that (in my opinion) is great. I was searching for something like this (simple and effective) since I began train martial arts (when I was 12). Maybe looks to simple that it could work!?

19. slipthejab

oldyangtaiji
    REPOST:.... maybe you didn't see my original questions to you...

I'm curious how long you studied Aikido for and under whom. And the same would go for the other MA's you mention to have studied as well.

What in particular did you find 'not useful in real self defense'?

I am also curious how much of all of the above mentioned MA's you've actually had to use in real self defense.

And now that you have your snazzy new MA that works for real self defense .. have you had to use it yet?

If not... how do you know it works?!

20. slipthejab

lol. Stop already... your embarrassing yourself no end here.

Some bloke in camo rolling around and takes out three guys armed with daggers.
    Not likely... not even close.

Any girl who ever played hopskotch could jump over this guys rolls and stab him in neck. Someone really trying to hurt him would do much worse.

You obviously have no concept of what it's like to be stabbed.

Become a paramedic or an EMT and then come talk to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.