How many 9th Dans are there?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by McCririck, Jun 24, 2005.

1. McCririck

McCririck New Member

Are there many? General Choi was a 9th Dan I presume? have you ever trained with one, and if so how awesome was it? If not what's the highest Dan you've trained with?

2. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Some background info here:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28371&page=1&pp=15&highlight=ninth+dan

Also, I found this:
    From this thread:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32001&page=1&pp=15

The highest level I have been in the presence of is a 7th dan, although I have never trained with him.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Apparently I missed a more recent one as well. Here you are: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31154

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  3. DavidSJ

DavidSJ New Member

Stats for WTF Black Belts

7th Dan
    Korea: 1,448 Overseas: 323 Total: 1,771

8th Dan
    Korea: 639 Overseas: 66 Total: 705

9th Dan
    Korea: 212 Overseas: 51 Total: 263

10th Dan
    Korea: 5 Overseas: 0 Total: 5

The highest I've trained with was a 9th Dan. But all in all, he wasn't the "best" I've trained with, mostly b/c he was older and couldn't demonstratea lot of the advanced techniques, plus he wasn't a serious competitor in his prime.

4. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

I think my instructor mentioned there being an American, British and New Zealand ITF 9th dan, anyone have more information about this?

I've trained with two 8th Dans and a 7th Dan before, great experience.

5. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

American Ninth Dan...

Dear Sir,

Speaking of those promoted to 9th dan by General Choi...there is only one non-Korean 9th Dan. Mr. Charles E. Serref!

TAEKWON!
    SpooKeY

6. 98765

98765 New Member

Chang Hun 9th degrees

Leong Wai Meng, ITF, Australia
    Choi Jung Hwa, ITF, Canada
    Park Jong Soo, ITF, Canada
    Son Myung Soo, ICTF, Canada
    Salleh Sabree, GTF, Malaysia
    Rhee Ki Ha, ITF, United Kingdom
    Charles Sereff, USTF, USA
    Cho Pyung Kyu, GTF, USA
    Duc Dang, ITF, USA
    Hwang Kwang Sung, UITF, USA
    Kong Young Il, ICTF, USA
    Nam Tae Hi, ICTF, USA
    Van Binh Nguyen, ITF, USA

http://changhun.1go.dk/?page=masters

GM Van Binh Nguyen and Duc Dang was promoted by Gen Choi. they are Vietnamese.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  7. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

what school?
    I think the TAGB only has one, but I could be wrong
    Mr Dave Oliver 9th Dan

8. Jesse@RTKD

Jesse@RTKD New Member

I read in a magazine that master Jhoon Rhee (USA) is 10th dan or something...hes 74 and does 1000 push ups a day!

9. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Dave Oliver is a 7th dan.

10. calleo14

calleo14 Banned Banned

1,000 pushups a day that really motivates me to train harder thats incredible

i think i might try and do 500 + a day

11. McCririck

McCririck New Member

How many does he so in a set if he does 1000 a day?

12. someone335

someone335 New Member

My master (Won Kuk Kim)'s father Bok Man Kim is a tenth degree blackbelt.

http://home.comcast.net/~ibbo/bokmankim.htm

not sure if that site is good but he is.

Ninth Degree Black Belt

Senior Grand Master level. Ninth degree black belts have served a lifetime of dedication to the art of Taekwondo. Their years of sacrifice and service to Taekwondo have made them an integral part of the art itself. They have internalized the art until they have actually become a part of it. The rank is so respected by peers and students that even a casual statement by a ninth degree may affect the course of the Taekwondo for years to come.

just a description from http://tkdtutor.com/04Students/Goals/BlackBelt.htm

13. jcurtis

jcurtis Valued Member

My Grand Master is Tae Zee Park. He was the youngest person to be promoted to 9th Dan by the WTF. He has been teaching TKD in the US since 1974.

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

There are a lot of 9th dans out there who are not ITF or WTF. Those two organizations aren't the end all, be all in TKD. Though a lot of people think they are. You can be very very good in TKD and not be certified by either organization.

15. TKD-Red Belt

TKD-Red Belt New Member

The highest i trained with is a 6th dan, i didnt think there was such thing as a 10th dan. I was told that 3 is a sacred number in korea and so there can only be 3 dans to each category (novice 1-3rd dan, expert 4-6th dan and master 7-9th dan) a 5th dan told me that and so i believed him. Also someone else said being a 10th dan must mean you are perfect at it and so you cant obtain it because everyone has flaws. Is there such thing as a 10th dan?

16. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Pretty good way to get a nice muscular imbalance. Also a pretty poor way to train. Doing more push ups gets you better at push ups, and not a lot else.

17. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

Yeah, but I bet he'd destroy you in a push-ups competition!

I attended a seminar with Choi Jung Hwa 8th Dan. He was very impressive, and I enjoyed the session very much.

What about the guy who heads up AIMMA or whatever? Erm, He Il Cho? He's supposed to be 9th Dan, not sure who promoted him though...

In our organisation 9th is the highest rank anyone can be promoted to. That's not to say there may be others who feel a need to extend this to 10th. That's possibly partly due to black belts coming through much younger these days in some schools.

18. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

Taken from another post I made about training with Grandmaster Hee Il Cho (9th degree) and Master Philip Ameris (7th degree)

19. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

20. Tetsujin

Tetsujin Valued Member

Hmm..9th dan?..the highest ranking black belt in our dojang is 7th dan..and he's only 40 years old...I dont know if there are tkd black belts that our that high in our dojang..all I know is if I cant beat a 7th dan...then I'm not worthy to become a 5th dan black belt...woo!!...if their is a 9th dan black belt in our dojang i bet his unbeateable ( in a controlled enviroment of course... :)) )...