Favourite

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Saz, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Simple question, whats your favourite Martial arts and non martial arts book and why?

My favourite MA book is Mas Oyamas Complete Karate Course. Its relevant to my style, which is rare in books, and it goes through basic techniques, katas, breaking, conditioning and even tells you how to kick a cigarette out of someones mouth (don't try it at home kids)

My favourite non MA book is Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. Its really creepy and atmospheric, plus its got a slow build up to a good end. Last time I read it was in a thunderstorm, it was scary as anything! :D

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

MA: The Making of a Martial Artist - S.K.Shim

Non MA: LOTR :D

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

My favourite MA would be - The Tao of JKD by B. Lee

Non MA - Jackal by John Follain/Dune by James Herbert

4. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

havent read any MA books but i love Lord of the Rings i've read it 9 times in two years before that i had only read about 4 books.

people say its too big but by the end of it all you want is more

5. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Haven't read MA books, flicked through the tao of JKD and a couple of books on escrima

non ma: 8million ways to die by Lawrence Block

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

MA- SAS self defense by Barry Davies (though I am open to education)
    non MA- LOTR. I'm currently reading it for the 9th time. Approaching my first LOTR decade!

7. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

MA book- Tao of JKD-Bruce Lee(only other MA book i read was on Judo and that was a long time ago)

Non-MA- The Hobbit.

8. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Favorite MA book: Was the Tao of JKD, but now it's Understand? Good. Play! by Masaaki Hatsumi.
    Favorite non-MA: Strangers by Dean Koontz and Shibumi by Trevanian.

9. Peaceful_John

Peaceful_John New Member

Don't read alot of martial arts books.

Probably "The Wheel of Time" series. "Breakfast of Champions" was good too.

10. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I've gotten a few MA books from the library, but nothing too good, so I can't really answer that.

As for non-MA, It's hard to pick, I've read so many :D "Regina's Song" by David Eddings was fantastic. I love Eddings, although some of his books weren't too good, the ones that were more than made up for it. :D

11. booksie_girl

Have you read the 10th Wheel of time? I read the first 9, and that was all there were at the time. I haven't gotten around to reading the 10th, mainly because the plots are so complicated, and I can't for the life of me remember what happened, so I'd be pretty lost. Is it worth reading?

12. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

MA BOOK: Easy...... Jackie Chan's auotbiography!

FAVE BOOK: Possibly REAPER MAN by Terry Pratchet but usually my favorite book is the one I'm reading!!!!

READING: Carter beats the Devil

13. booksie_girl

Quite right, it's so hard to pick one, and the ones that are fresher in you mind is usually at the top of the pick. Reaper man was one of my favourite Pratchett books, but the best was IMO the last continenent, but I'm a bit biast in that :D.

14. Knight_Errant

I love the last continent :) It rocks!

15. booksie_girl

But you probably didn't get as many of the more subtle jokes as I did. :D. You have to live here to get them :D.

PS love the sig

16. Knight_Errant

I might come to australia just to get the jokes. It'd be well worth it :)Do some surfing while I'm there :)
    At last, I've finally got a realistic sig. I was thinking of changing my status to 'mindless scum' or 'MAP's very own man in the steel plate' :D

17. booksie_girl

Stick with what you've got, it's much better :D

18. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Balisong-Iron Butterfly by Cacoy Boy Hernandez is a good one. Sort of his life story, mixed in with a how-to-do manual.

Non MA Book 'Kiss your Ass Goodbye' by Charles Williford
    He was a great Hard-Boiled Crime writer.
    Also anything by Harry Crews

19. Red Dragon 1961

Red Dragon 1961 New Member

Favourite non MA book - Shibumi by Trevanian. I first read it as a teenager (I'm now 42) and make a point of reading it at least once a year. It had a profound impact on my life.

Favourite MA book - I haven't read one worthy of that title, yet.

20. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

havent had a MA book yet, getting my first one soon

lord of the rings is still my favourite