TKD and weapons training?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by hybrid_TKD, Jun 30, 2003.

1. hybrid_TKD

hybrid_TKD New Member

I was just wondering if many other TaeKwonDo schools teach weapons training? Our school teaches a few like Sword(Katana Type),Bo Staff(Bong), and Nunchakus.

I think from what I have seen most TKD schools do not teach weapons, is that true?

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Tae Kwon Do is primarily an empty-handed style, so the use of weapons is rare, although some schools that do train and incorporate many traditional weapons used by other martial arts into their practice.
    We have had staff (bo) and nunchaku training at our school offered as special training "worshops". Training with weapons does give the students an understanding of body dynamics, alignment, and how to generate power and increase reaction speed.
    Presently there are more than one thousand instructors in some 60 countries who are teaching the art of Tae Kwon Do .... so you are bound to have differences within the curriculum.

3. darlph

darlph New Member

My instructor does nunchus, but we have 2 "absorbed " 2nd Dans who are tournament Bo Staff competitors who give seminars every so often. We also have knife defense. An Escrima person from our sister school teaches it ocassionally. Alot of times we go to other seminars to get instruction on different weapons and/or techniques. I am working with the sai thru a friend from outside the MA world. Special forces, retired. I know most of the other TKD schools in ther area, have no weapons training, what so ever.

4. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I think we have some knife defence at higher belt levels, but that's about it.

5. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

We do alot of stick work, some nunchukus as well, and then move onto Boken/katana. 2nd Dan students start working with staff . . . although sticks are primarly what we practise . . . Yoda, interested in coming to wack a bunch of canucks? :D

6. DarkKnight1967

DarkKnight1967 New Member

Our school has limited weapons training that I take every chance I get. It isn't a regularly scheduled class and it isn't taught by the master but one of her 3rd dan students. Primarily (so far) it has just been staff and nunchakus, but we're supposed to eventually move on to swords and sais as well. You can only do the weapons after you reach red belt level.

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sure - whacking people with sticks is what I do best :D

8. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Ever fought against a hockey stick :D

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Nope - sounds scary - definately a well timed entry and close it down job I reckon!

10. hwarang

hwarang Guest

we do a lot of weapons training, but mainly for senior belts, because the instructor doesn't want to be liable for misbehaving junior belts.

nanchaku, knife, short stick, long stick, korean kendo, belt, sword

but i guess what you learn with a particular weapon, you can always pick up something similar in size and shape and use that - not many people would be walking around the place carrying 6 foot poles or swords, etc...

11. popop

popop New Member

well no weapon right here =(
    our teacher use a kind of staff, called "the medic"
    It's a solution to every kind of sickness : either you are a bit tired, can't do anymore push up or so, well the "medic" is here to heal you.
    Well, believe it or not but it works ! Must be some kind of magic staff :D
    More seriously, I had never been told of weapon training during tkd classes before. Yet some higher ranked student do train on their own. It's fun, even if we lack the formal training.
    Consequently, I only got a "Bruce-lee based" experience with weapon. As KickChick said, I don't have the feeling that the position, gesture and cie are that different from the way we train when unarmoured (keep in mind it's just a feeling, for i have never been formaly introduced to weapons)

12. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Our school teaches Taekwondo and Combat Hapkido. We really don't have any weapons training in our TKD curriculum, but do offer weapons in Combat Hapkido. Normally we recommend at least 1st dan TKD rank to begin weapons (for fear of distracting students from the basics of TKD). We do offer training in Knife, escrima sticks, staff, short stick, and cane as well as classes on firearms retention, knife defence and attacks, and so on.

13. clutchdoctor

clutchdoctor Tae Kwon Do Do

my master told me that we'll learn three weapons...but not till later when i'm more advanced, cause i'm a yellow belt. oh well i can't wait, i would like to learn how to use a Cane, but more than likely its gonna be the bo for my main weapon.

14. Knife Hand Man

Knife Hand Man New Member

Weapons

Yeah it is mostly empty handed style but i have to say i would prefer nunchaku over empty hand ne day just because of the speed and power. Thats why now newhere i go i always take mine with me.

15. Sekmet7

Sekmet7 Valued Member

At my school, weapons are mainly reserved for students on our demonstration team. Demo team member sare the only ones who use weapons. We get to use nunchakus, bo, double short sticks, swords and the coach is about to introduce fans to us

16. Taeho

Taeho New Member

We have "Samurai" sword fighting class for blackbelts.

TKDshane Ÿ

17. nunchaku8587

nunchaku8587 Valued Member

i do alot of nunchaku, katana, and bo staff stuff, mostly just mix it up from different styles that have those weapons, i'm the only one that does it at my school though

18. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

From what I've seen around the local Tang Soo Do dojo...err...doJANG, we have:

Chinese Broadsword
    Bo
    Knife
    Cane
    Nunchaku

Whoa...FANS?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2003
  19. spacepimp

spacepimp Valued Member

weapons in taekwon do

From what I understand (and I could be very wrong here). Taekwon do, in essence does not really incorporate weapons as part of it's style. It has evolved to include it into the style, but it was not originally there.