History of Martial Arts in China and India

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kennethtennyson, Jun 13, 2005.

1. kennethtennyson

kennethtennyson New Member

Martial Arts in China and India

Through my readings of martial arts history, I discovered a disturbing trend. Many nationalistic Indians are trying to lay claim that martial arts and kung fu, karate, and all of the East Asian Martial arts originated from India along with the transmittal of Buddhism. Unfortunately, India today in terms of written historical text, is in a state of flux. For the last few decades after the end of British colonial rule, the Hindu nationalistic political parties have been distorting historical texts and in general the history of India to "reclaim" its history (see the Hindu Warrior's post in October 2004 here, the debate on the origins of the Taj Mahal and whether it is a Muslim or Hindu temple, and the "Institute for Rewriting Indian History"). Many of these distortions have engendered their way into the internet age on websites and have been self propagating especially with Indian writers. The result of this is that parts of the history of India in present time, has been distorted in some way as to make it difficult to separate fact from fiction. The purpose of this article is to dispel the myths that are currently being propagated by Nationalistic Indians online. In this article, Kung Fu will relate to Chinese martial arts, and Shaolin Kung Fu relates to the Kung Fu style originating in the Shaolin temples after 500 A.D.

To begin with, very few historians believe that martial arts originated from one place and spread throughout the world. Most historians believed that human beings created some form of systemic defense system as an improvement over random punching, hacking, and kicking. Most military powers in their history have invented some form of martial arts, such as wrestling and self-defense in ancient Egypt, Sparta, and Greece. Most historians believe that many of the martial arts even in Japan (lost in legend with oldest accounts possibly 27B.C.), Korea (Silla Kingdom 57 B.C.), Southeast Asia, and South Asia developed independently to some degree and perhaps mutually influenced each other centuries after their invention. Most of these martial arts share similarities possibly through influences on each other, but most likely secondary to the fact that armed or unarmed combat by human beings employs similar principles and the human body is similar. The reason why the East Asian Martial Arts are so popular today is due to the fact that they have been so well codified, their ease of use and effectiveness in self-defense, their use of scientific principles for self-defense, their focus on personal development, and especially the popular media.

The oldest evidence of Kung Fu, or Chinese martial arts, as it is practiced by the military goes back to the Zhou dynasty (1111-255 BC). The first written history of Chinese martial arts comes attributes it to the legendary reign of Huangdi of the Zhou Dynasty (1122-255 BC). Records attribute Huangdi with being the founder of China’s oldest known martial art – chang quan (long fist). The oldest reference to institutionalized wrestling in China dates to 700 B.C. Further, the Taoist monks were practicing physical exercises that resembles Tai Chi (or a soft form of Kung fu) at least during the 500B.C. era. There are texts referring to qigong like exercises from at least the 5th century B.C. During the Spring and Autumn and the Warring States Periods (770 - 221BC), a method called Daoyin was evolved to promote health. Further, during the Warring States Period (770-221B.C.), various poetry was written down attributed to Yuh Niuy describing philosphical approaches to sword play that is read to this day by wushu practitioners. As well, there are a few statues of unarmed soldiers from the first Qin Emperor's terra cotta army that are in distinctly martial "kung fu" poses that date from the third century B.C. In 39-92 A.D. , the "Six Chapters of Hand Fighting", in the Han Book of Arms were written by Pan Kuo. Also, Hua To developed the "Five Animals Play" - tiger, deer, monkey, bear, and bird for self defense during 220 A.D. As stated earlier, the Kung Fu that is practiced today developed over the centuries and many of the later additions of Kung Fu, such as the Shaolin Kung Fu style, later animal forms and the drunken style were incorporated from various martial arts forms existing later on in China or have accurate historical data relating to their inventor.

The Indian belief that India is the origin of Kung Fu (Chinese Martial arts) and most Eastern martial artists is initially incorrect as the Shaolin style is connected in popular media with Chinese Martial arts and thus the general public thinks that it is the oldest and only martial arts in China. The belief further centers on the contention that Bodhidharma (Pu Tai Ta Mo in Chinese or Daruma Daishi in Japanese) the creator of Zen Buddhism came from India, notably south India, and spread Zen Buddhism along with martial arts from India to China sometime in 450 AD. To begin with, history does not know the origins of Bodhidharma, as most of the biography relating to him has been lost in legend. Bodhidharma has also been associated with the discovery of tea (unlikely as the Chinese have historical records of tea use predating the birth of Buddhism and even an ancient encyclopedia stating that they have been drinking tea since 200 B.C. or so) and that he could bore a hole into a wall by looking at it. Further, no historical efforts have accurately shown where he originated from, and many accounts differ. Some suggest India, others suggest Central Asia and perhaps Tibet. The earliest record existing in China suggest Persia, which is dubious.

Secondly, historical records suggest that Bodhidharma might have taught the Shaolin monks meditation exercises in 500A.D.; however, historical evidence has shown that the Shaolin monks during this time and before this time (the Shaolin temple predates Bodhidharma) harbored retired soldiers, who taught the monks self defense styles that they had learned during military training and that were preexisting in China. Not only that, various meditation exercises such as those within Taoism and Tai Chi that simulate martial arts, existed before this time that predates Bodhidharma by a millenia, and were being practiced by the monks previous to 500A.D. The Shaolin monks, in order to protect themselves from bandits and criminals around 500A.D, began to codify what they learned into a "Shaolin" Kung-Fu style; however, the development of Kung Fu (or general martial arts in China) goes back centuries before this.

Third, unfortunately, there is very little historical evidence to lay claim to the Indian contention that their various martial arts predates East Asian martial arts. Mythology does exist in India as to their creation of martial arts going back a few thousand years, but mythology exists in every culture even Persian culture relating to the origins of martial arts going back a few thousand years. Mythology does not equate historical evidence. The earliest written reference to kalapriyyattu goes back only to the 16th century A.D. by the Portuguese in British India. During that time they noted that it was a form of dance/martial arts practiced by citizens of Kerala and that the citizens had perhaps been practicing it since the 13th century A.D. During the 18th-19th century A.D., the British outlawed it in Kerala and the practice decreased substantially. In fact, the various Indian martial arts, especially Kalaripayattu, had very few practitioners before the advent of the modern age and especially the "Bruce Lee" era. With the worldwide interest in the Eastern Martial Arts, the Indian Martial arts began flowering once again. Contemporary Indians in India were just as fascinated with Kung Fu as regular Americans in America were. Very little historical evidence suggests that Indians were practicing their martial arts as it is in its current form even two centuries ago. What historical evidence exists suggests that the East Asian martial arts predates the current Indian martial arts. Whatever similarities exist are either due to the innate requirements that the human body requires in order to defend itself, or were additions to the Indian martial arts, possibly through Mongol or Muslim conquest later on or within the last century with international trade.

The first historical interpretation of the origin of the Kalari system was given by Elamkulam Kunjan Pillai. He points out that this fighting art emerged during the 12th century from the military exigency of the "Hundred Years War" between the Cheras and the Cholas. This theory was reiterated by later writers without question. Today, as the concept of Hundred Years War has been questioned and rejected, the theory of the origin of Kalari during this War, has lost its ground. Moreover, it is unlikely that a martial system will emerge suddenly from a war.
    As stated earlier, the oldest suggested existence of Kalarippayyattu date back to the 13th centuries A.D. The earliest recorded evidence of kalarippayyattu date from Portuguese descriptions during the latter 16th-17th centuries. It is more likely that the Chinese martial arts greatly influenced Kalarippayyattu after the incursion of the Mongols from China into India during the 13th and 14th century A.D. or the incursion of the Muslims.

Another interesting concept is the idea of "chi" or life force energy. Many Indian historians contend that they invented this concept with their ideas of "prana." However, historical evidence suggests that various cultures have a similar concept, even within SouthEast Asia and South America. Historically, "Chi" developed from Taoism and Lao Tse Tung from concepts that predate 500B.C., and this invention predates that of Buddhism's introduction introduction to China. Further, Tai Chi, which is the soft form of martial arts exercise developed with Taoism also predates Buddhisms introduction to China, and historical books related to its breathing exercises go back to at least 500 B.C. Finally, Indian contention that Karate and Kalarippayattu share common ancestry due to their similar sound is doubtful as both words are Anglicized constructions for English speaking people of multiple Japanese and Indian words, both of which have totally unrelated meaning. Kara-Te in Japanese means "Empty Hand." In India, "Kalari" is an arena for combat; "payat" stands for a system of combat.

The historical inaccuracies that are being propagated by nationalistic Indians on the web and in print are concerning. Even today, some Indian children are being taught that the East India Trading Company was created in India, when in fact, it was a British company. As to the influences of the various martial arts of India and China on each other, no one knows as no true documented evidence exists.

However, it is a long stretch of the imagination to believe that all of the East Asian Martial Arts or even Chinese martial arts had their origins in India through some legendary traveling pacifistic monk. The historical inaccuracies are dangerous for India, as the Indian martial arts should be a source of cultural pride for Indians. However, by stretching the truth, at times fabricating the truth, and making fallacies of reasoning, nationalistic Indians today are lending doubt to the whole history of Indian martial arts.

-Kenneth Tennyson, Ph.D

2. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

nice. thanks for the post. it answered a lot of questions i had about martial art origins. but i'd like to ask what sources u used to get this information. not that i'm doubting you or anything, but just to be sure.

3. kennethtennyson

Well, you can open up most historical textbooks or encyclopedias written about martial arts history or Wushu history (kung fu is actually a misnomer).

For kalapriyyattu, the author mentioned above would be a good start. Also, Phillip B. Zarilli is a UK professor who has written a book on it.

For the martial arts in china, you can actually look up the individuals that I mentioned who were involved in creating chinese martial arts online or:

The Complete Book of Tai Chi Chuan: A Comprehensive Guide to the Priciples and Practice (Tuttle Martial Arts)

The Cambridge History of Ancient China : From the Origins of Civilization to 221 BC

The Cambridge History of China by Denis Twitchett

Martial Arts: The History (Lloyd, Bryant, Martial Arts.)

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

This has been researched and re-researched by many martial artists, including myself.

Instead of posting a repeated version, I could pm a continued version.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Some interesting points.

If you think the Hindus are good at rewriting history... lol..

China takes the cake. Try living here and wading through even a single version of Xin Hua daily. lol... not possible. :D

The two countries always seem to be competing neck and neck for who would win the title of National Insecurity Champion. :eek:

6. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

i really do hate to post on this topic seems as it was only to counter mine, which by the way it would be nice if you would simply post this on my topic were you could get a real discusion, were as here people might simply ignore you becuase of the topic cloning.

you make it sound like you can simply open in general text book and find this info, but i opened the nearest text book and from what people are posting, have found somewhat different info than you? (scratches head)

if you were well known for creating a martial arts system, and didnt actually create it, would you try to hide the fact that you didnt create it.

and maybe i did go a little far in implying that there were no MA in china before the hindus were there. i find iut funny that you read a few books and chose to believe what was in them. i read books too, they say different things than what your books do, who right? whos wrong? i dont know, that is why i started my post.find the truth.

MY TOPIC
    i really would like you to reply here please :Angel:

you can get a real discussion here

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34209&page=1&pp=15

7. slipthejab

DOH!!!

don't ya just hate that! :D

8. gray fox

gray fox Valued Member

India does play a significant part in Asian martial arts, religon and philosophy, but many Asian countries proably had a basic system of self defense (military or tribal). Influence from India like Buddahism, mediation and physical exercises like yoga and India martial arts were accepted into other Asian culture. The other Asian cultures proably took certain aspects from their Indian pals and added it to their exsisting systems of self defence.

9. slipthejab

It always seemed to me that China as a country is keen on the idea that they never took anything from anyone. Ideas, philosophies, technologies etc.

That kind of outlook can only wash so far.

India has always been a big rival nation for China. So you can hardly expect the Chinese to admit to taking or being inspired by anything Indian. They became a Communist country... but to hear them tell it... Lenin, Stalin, Engels and Marx were Chinese. lol. Obviously the rest of the world doesn't think so.

Much of the rivalry between India and China is due to the history of the two countries always being traders. It works at times and at times they've had big problems because of it. When India was colonized by the British Empire they often used Indian soldiers to police Chinese territories. As you can imagine this didn't wash well with the Chinese... all of a sudden someone from a completely different culture, wearing a turban and with very dark skin is now around to control things. This is but one of many instances where hard feelings have developed and remained.

Chinese culture has for centuries been incredibley xenophobic so that they should not want to be seen as borrowing or accepting anything from other cultures is not surprising. Confucianism is still the order of the day in China... it may have all the drapings of Communism or a busy modern country... but the Confucian ideal still holds sway over the vast majority of the population.

Given their history I don't see the Chinese as ever being able to accept that other countries could have possibly developed martial arts without influence from them.

10. 47MartialMan

Evolution of Man=Evolution of Martial Arts?

It has been argued that the evolution of man (African Anthropology/stone age man) is synonymous with the evolution of martial arts.
    Hence;
    Martial arts go way beyond in past history than Shaolin. (By the way much of that is legend and folklore tales told via raconteurs and written like Grimm's)

India has much ancient culture as Egypt. (Egypt isn’t the only cultural/social structure. Sure they built large cities, but this cannot solely define them as the oldest.) And China/Iran/Iraq/Persia has as much as India also.

The martial art is man vs. man. Not so simply as stone-age man (tribe) vs. Stone Age man (tribe)

The term martial, being Mars/warlike, and arts, the study of, martial arts could also be defined as any system of fighting/defense, under one category. (Webster’s has it defined inappropriately. And why not, its editors and researchers are probably not martial artists and did not dissect the wording per etymology.)

Hence, and such system that can be taught, or have one trained, under a system for war/fighting, is a martial art. Since martial arts were developed systems of man against man, than it has developed almost since cultured/social man against another cultured social man. (Cultures social meaning a large human dwelling of cultural and social exchanges, not tribal)

So, can Stone Age man ever be considered as the first martial artists?

If one is to examine the "complete" timeline of each country;
    China/Iran/Iraq/Persia/India/Egypt-Africa/South America

Than none can treuely claim "total" origin based upon human development.

The martial arts, like all of human cultural ideals, became a huge melting pot or stew.

Each culture/country, contributing their own "ingredient".

11. 47MartialMan

1.) It is not only China, but almost all Asian countries as well. It is the pride/"face" mentality.

2.) India and China were not big rivals as Japan and China.

3.) Given this section, I cannot see detailed data on India and China being huge rivals.

4.) Chinese culture has for centuries been incredibley xenophobic? On the contrary. The periods when emperors ruled, they always accepted things outside their culture. They were extremely eager to learn and accept. In some events, not so eager to share.

5.) Back to number 1.)

12. slipthejab

Agreed. But it's roots are deeper than that. Much of it's based on a Confucian ideals and model of thought. I find the amount of racism in China to much higher than that of just about anywhere else in Asia. I am usually at a loss to understand it... so I've come to regard it as a by product of xenophobia.

This is obvious... but I didn't point out otherwise.

Most people wouldn't unless they lived extensively in several areas of China and other places in South East Asia. There is not much love lost between the Chinese and the Indians. My opinion of this has been formed after many years living in China. Speaking Chinese I am often privy to comments that most people wouldn't be... over time it's given me a good insight into the way Indian people tend to viewed by Chinese people. This to some degree applies to the way Chinese tend to view most Southern and South Eastern Asians. Nepal has always been somewhat of an issue in regards to this... there is widespread discrimination in Hong Kong against Nepalese. Again much of being a direct result of the Nepalese working with the British and having darker skin.

My comments relate to China's closure to foreigners around 1400 A.D. and up until the establishment of the Peoples Republic of China at the hands of Mao. There is a subtle but crucial difference between being open to acquiring materials, resources and trade goods and be xenophoric. Chinese history tends to be incredibley selective as who it puts forth as being Chinese role models... primarily it tends to only Han Chinese.

13. kennethtennyson

In regards to the posts above
    1) Some Chinese can be racist, just like in any other culture. If you want to see racism, try to be asian american or black american in white suburbia. The fact that you are not Chinese but have been able to live in China without being beaten up by some Chinese skinhead gang means something. If you were black or asian american, and lived in the middle of a rural area of white america or Germany, you could very well get yourself killed.

2) all of the kalaripriyattu websites including the tourism website claims that they are the "mother" load of all martial arts due to the Bodhidharma legend, a legend which exists only in the Shaolin Chan branch of Buddhism. Specifically speaking, the legend only says that he invented two of their many stretching meditative exercises. I could've posted on "Brahmin's" post or "Hindu Warrior's" post but their posts seemed intentionally started to cater to preconceived notions. I'm sorry to state this, but kalapriyattu has no documents - no martial arts manual, no historical books, nothing that date to before the 13th century. It practically disappeared during the 18th-19th centuries.

3) None of the wushu association websites or tourism websites in china as regards to martial arts make these claims.

4) I just decided to post this because as a historian, I get irked by factual inaccuracies.

14. slipthejab

I do't know that I neccessarily disagree with your post... however ... there have been many Asian who live in 'white suburbia' without being beaten up s there have been Black people. Is there a more likely chance of them being beaten up in a 'white' neighborhood than in an Asian neighborhood? Yes and no. If race is the motivating factor in the attack... then the answer is likely to be yes. However if you take a look at many of the trends in crimes against Asians and in particular Chinese you'll find that much of the violence against Chinese is at the hands of fellow Chinese. It's not an uncommon trend for Chinese to victimize Chinese as they're often reluctant to make any police report or contact the authorities.

If you want to consider the rural areas of China... it's probably much the same as rural areas in Germany or America. Execpting that in America or Germany at least people have some link to the 'outside' world... in rural China they generally have little information on anything a province or two away. Yes there are many places in Germany that can be bad for racism... I know I lived there - many of the areas were rough for someone who appeared to be Caucasian but non-German. Surprisingly one of the places where I found it to be bad was Switzerland. Firebombing against Turkish families was at an all time high when I was there. I was always curious why much of it never made the newspapers in the states? Though I shouldn't really be surprised.

You do bring up some interesting points on Kalaripariyattu in relation to not having any supporting documents and all but dissapearing during the 18-19th centuries.

15. 47MartialMan

1.) have heard about this froma Chinese friend. There are good and bad neighborhoods, towns, and people, all over.

2.) Yes, there are media deprived areas. The international media is only after things that would stir up things affecting more than one country globaly.

3.) The discovery of this art is not so "new" to me. I had first learned about it back in '70. I had a Indian (India) friend (actually a whole family moved into my neighborhood-which back then were mostly Italian). The Indian family wasnt to readily accepted. There wasnt any violence or such, but people in that area didnt much speak to them. Except I, became friends with the 13 year old son (We were near the same age).

Anyway, his father had spoken of this art, and he and his dad (grandfather) had practiced it. there werent any physical evidence, worldwide sort to speak of. They (family), had a hand-written manual. I couldnt read it, it wasnt in English. I was already in martial arts for about 4 years then, as I had many volumes of a personal written journal, I made an entry on this as well. (The journal was a inspirational subject since I was around 10. I had a reading/writing problem, as I have do dysgraphia/dyslexia. My mother had suggested and somewhat inspired, that I write a journal. Since my sister, like most girls in early years, was writing a diary, I had once thought, from a boyhood persepctive, that wrtiting down day-to-day events was girlish. I guess my mother had figured it will help. It is difinitely amusing to go back and re-read, many times over.)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  16. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

An old sifu of mine (DR Tim Sheehan) claimed a strong link between India and China with the creation of Shaolin. Theres no doubt that, even if apprehensively, the Shaolin temple accepted Indians to some degree.

Also of interest may be the similarities between certain Chinese arts and the Indian art Silambam, which is, to my knowledge, of completely Indian descent.

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

You can only believe so much that the chinese tell you. They (and others) re-write history so often its funny. Whatever current idea is in vogue, they write it down as if to prove, "well here it is in writing, it must be true". And they are the ones blasting the japanese for denying historical facts.

So in a nutshell, most people I've talked to (even Korean GM's) believe that the origins of most martial arts occurred in India, specifically the western border areas in what is now pakistan.

18. kennethtennyson

Oh, please

Look, that is the most bigoted statement that I have heard. You act as though no other culture confabulates or exaggerates in its history. I've been reading up on recent Indian history as I was thinking of Shoring up my investment portfolio, and let me clue you in on this religious/political movement in India that's been present for a few decades. Basically, after the
    English left, the Hindu majority party at the time decided that the last 1000 years of India's history by Mongol, Muslim, and British rule was foreign and decided that you couldn't trust anything from that time so they decided to rewrite history.

Look up Hindutva, look up P.N. Oak and the "Institute for Rewriting Indian History" (Yes, that is the name), look up the current contention by many revisionists in India over the Taj Mahal's Muslim vs. Hindu origins. There are kids in India who are being taught by the government that the Britisth East India Company was an Indian company. Look up the current Indian debate on whether or not the Aryan invasion hypothesis is true or not (though it is generally accepted in most historical circles for the last 5 decades), look at how many Indians are stating historically that they invented acupuncture (unlikely as all practicing acupuncturists in India can trace their lineage back to one Indian accupuncturist who trained in China in the 1950's), and how they are currently trying to "date" the Vedas to 5000B.C. by using astrology written in the Vedas (not considered scientific). It goes on and on. Every country confabulates to some degree but as I've always stated, very few people are going around stating that they are the "mother" load of all Martial Arts.

19. 47MartialMan

kennethtennyson,

I have to agree. Once again, I must state it is a issue of pride/"face".

Cultures can isolate and alter what ever they can pretense with their history. However, much of history, for any culture, has been written, with old books, artifacts, and items, seen in museums, distunguished libraries, and known by historians worldwide.

India did indeed contribute to martial arts, just like any other culture.

Timeline each culture of old-ancient, and will find intelligent civilizations millenium ago.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  20. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Jeez, just telling you what I've been told. Whom should I believe, you, who I don't know. Or a bunch of chinese and korean GM's I've known for five years.....lets see.....

Sorry to get your blood pressure up, you must have a real axe to grind....