Street Effective?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Peng Mao Rong, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Peng Mao Rong

Peng Mao Rong New Member

Is Aikido really a street effective MA?

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

No martial art is exactly street effective.

Although training, awareness, experience, quick thinking, skill, stamina, the will to never give up, and other factors can tip the scales more in your favor, nothing is truly street effective.

If anything, luck plays a big factor in survival. One person might get stabbed one time and end up dieing from it, another person stabbed a dozen times and ends up surviving... what in the world kind of training makes you lucky?

3. Tank Gurl

Tank Gurl A Thorny Rose

I disagree. I'm alive today because of my training.

You may want to rephrase.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Fair enough, but read the second paragraph of my original post, I mention training in a list of things that can tip the scales more in your favor.

I use the term "street proven", not street effective, when describing training methods and techniques. It is better usually to employ street PROVEN methods and to train in them, however, it is a far stretch to associate street proven methods to EVERY SCHOOL in a martial art and to say that the martial art is thus street effective. Yes, a martial art can teach street proven methods and techniques. But how can ANY martial art be truly street effective every time? Hence, my reasoning that no martial art is truly street effective.

Personally, these days, in most real situations, I would take a police officer with five years or more experience on the front lines over most black belts in any martial art. What does that say about my opinion of training methods?

As for training, it is useful, but luck can play a big role in how things turn out. Sometimes I'd rather be the luckiest than the most skilled. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

[QUOTE="Aikido FAQ -- read answers here" thread at the top of this forum]
    Q - Does aikido work against muggers? Does it work in a street fight? Or in a bar fight? Does it work against people who are actively resisting you?
    A - Yes. Riot police train in aikido. So do beat cops. So do prison guards and parole officers and club/bar bouncers. It works for them.
    [/QUOTE]
    :)

6. ralphylad

ralphylad New Member

What Is Street Effective

:woo: RUNNING IS STREET EFFECTIVE

7. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I think everyone knows that already...

8. Jaric

Jaric New Member

Originally Posted by "Aikido FAQ -- read answers here" thread at the top of this forum

Q - Does aikido work against muggers? Does it work in a street fight? Or in a bar fight? Does it work against people who are actively resisting you?
    A - Yes. Riot police train in aikido. So do beat cops. So do prison guards and parole officers and club/bar bouncers. It works for them.

By that logic any martial art in the book is street effective, because somewhere out there in some country, martial arts of all types are praciticed by riot police, beat cops, prison guards etc. Its a flawed comment.

Some martial arts are more capable in the street then others. I always thought that JJJ was street effective, but I was at a seminar last week, and the 7th degree teaching said that 90% of your techniques are useless on the street. Food for thought before someone goes on rant saying, "my style is Made for the street!!!"

9. aikiMac

It's not a flawed comment. It's a true comment. Every martial art in the book is street effective.
    "You have much to learn, young Grasshopper."

10. Jim Kelly

Jim Kelly New Member

Any martial art that can stop an aggressor from following through with his intent can be considered street effective, to what degree a person can make the art work is more up to the person who is trying to yield it instead of the art itself, unless your art is composed of pulling a trigger, even that usually requires some personal strengths and training.

11. WhereMyRiceGo

WhereMyRiceGo Banned Banned

running=scared if u r scared to face minor physical pain

but running if faced with death situation such as knife or gun or even car , it is smart

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2005
  12. Jaric

Jaric New Member

Oh the ego you have. Like my mentor Count Dooku says, "Twice the ego means double the fall."

But In all seriousness I cant believe that you can say all martial arts are street effective with a straight face. Drunken Kung Fu? Ninjitsu? Soon you'll be telling me that Aikido and TKD are street effective also :D

13. aikiMac

Yes, they are street effective.
    You may leave now. Bye-bye. :yeleyes:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  14. aiki-jo

aiki-jo New Member

Jaric,

Most MA styles have some street effectiveness in them. Although I would say a majority of the techniques are useless outside the dojo. IMO, [oops - I'm trolling again]. I would say that TKD has some effectiveness, although stay away from kicking high. But the person is more street effective than the style itself. It doesn't take a martial artists of 20 years experience to figure out that a lucky punch can be street effective.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2005
  15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Why can't people use the search function? This debate has been done to death.

For what it's worth I think most martial arts do have some usefulness in a self defence situation. However the training the student receives and the students attitude to that training is the most important factor.

In the case of Aikido the majority of the techniques as performed in the dojo would not be useful in self defence. Where they are of use in self defence is in developing an understanding in the student of how the body works.

Such an understanding is paramount in prepairing for self defence as no martial art or martial arts teacher can prepair a student for every possible situation. Such training would take a life time to complete and perect. And many people refuse to acknowledge that such training would be useful. It seems that people today want a quick fix that simpley doesn't exist. By developing a knowledge of how the body works students can learn to adapt to many situations without having to be specifically trained for them.

To make such training useful students must take a very active part in their training. It simpley isn't good enough for students to turn up week in week out and copy in parot fasion what they see the teacher doing. No martial art will be useful as a self defence tool if learnt this way. Instead students must seriousley study the lesson being taught and revisit it until they understand it.

So is Aikido useful for self defence? Is it effective on the street? Yes it is. It is as effective as any martial art if you make it effective. And guess what? Students of other martial arts more readily accepted as being useful for self defence have to approach their training in the same way. That is to say if they want their art to be effective on the street, they have to approach their traing with that particular aim in mind.

For people who want to turn up to a martial arts class, Aikido or not, learn a few techniques and become a bad ass on the street. I'm sorry but it doesn't happen that way. To be good at martial arts takes time in the dojo training hard. It's that simple.

16. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

No superior martail art, just superior fighters.

My experience is I didn't get beat up, and I didn't get beat up in way that allowed the person who didn't beat me up to sue me.

He had the beer bottle not I. Not my fault he fell and hit his head on pool table. I was just trying to get out of the way.

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol... and you always are able to stand up to anyone that doesn't have a knife, gun or car right?

before you actually get into a scrap you're guaranteed that you will have only 'minor' physical pain right?

wow - the thugs in your area must be some nice blokes :D .

18. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Considering some of the Aikido Stuff I have seen I would say someone reasonably versed in this art could protect themselves quite well on the street.

19. ralphylad

ralphylad New Member

and what is gained from running from pain? Id rather walk away myself, its not worth the hastle, Running = Wise, in my book.