bruce lee's view on karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by mani, Jun 27, 2003.

1. mani

mani Valued Member

Ive read on numerous websites saying that bruce lee critisized karate for its broken movements.

What did bruce lee mean by this, did he mean the katas which are in karate are broken up and are not fluid? im not quite sure

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I think he was trying to suggest that karate players move around in a jerky, robotic way whereas kung fu practitioners are ever so fluid and beautiful...

3. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

bruce lee disliked styles generally anyway, thats why he created jeet kune do (which he himself didnt like to call it that because that makes it a style)

4. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

Yeh karate is a waste of money. I think someone should reinvent it like the gracies did to Judo!

Whos up for the challenge?

Screw it I'll do it! I'll report back in 12 years so you guys can view the new product :D

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

LOL! Man this could trun out to be a good thread :D

*Sends wife out for popcorn

6. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

i think karate's changed alot since Bruce lee was around....who knows, it may of improved alittle....theres so many kinds of karate around..

7. mani

mani Valued Member

How can you possibly say that karate is a wate of money.

karate is very effective as are other martial arts.

Also if you think that karate is a waste of money I would like to know in what way

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Don't worry about Matt, it ain't the first time he's made a wild shot in the air :D

|Cain|

9. YODA

Probably not the last either :D

10. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

This could turn into abit of a flame war. Lol. Matt is on the frontline of it

11. Knight_Errant

Oh goodie goodie goodie, can I play too?
    The world of modern karate is heavily steeped in bollocks. Ancient, primeaval bollocks. Let me read you a few cringe-making examples:
    1.'Imagine slowly imagining the course that the air takes
    Through the nose it follows a path that takes it via the forehead and crown, down the back of the neck and down the spinal column. The flow continues under the base of the body then upward to the hara' - I don't know WHERE kanazawa studied anatomy, but it wasn't anywhere remotely sane!
    2.'instead of returning to Okinawa, Funakoshi taught karate at various universities, and in 1936 established the shotokan, a great landmark in the history of Karate in Japan
    In 1955 the Japan Karate Association came into being with Funakoshi as its chief instructor'- all factually, verifiably correct. But what happened in between 1936 and 1955? What in particular happened between 1939 and 1945? The word 'kamikaze' mean anything to you? no? how about 'nanking' or 'Pearl Harbour'?
    3.'Jiyu kumite is a most important part of overall karate training, but let's get things into perspective- It's just a part - and no more' Oh yeah? I thought it was the point of the whole course of training myself, and the only reason why anyone would want to study incredibly boring technical aspects of combat manouvers for years for- to learn how to fight! And while we're at it, I'd like to direct the following comment at all publishers of karate books: LOSE THE BOLD FOR GOD'S SAKE!
    more later

12. Cain

Cain New Member

13. Adam

Adam New Member

Hehe, nice one Cain. :D

I dunno, it seems like Matt and knight_errant are under the pretty normal assumption that karate = shotokan. Karate's a very large group of martial arts and there would surely be some styles that they would like, especially the hard-fighting ones. I myself do not like shotokan very much. Too kata-ish and doesn't suit my temper very well.

14. Knight_Errant

Yeah, but you can't argue that the stuff what I read wasn't sick-making. I don't say karate or any MA is rubbish..

15. Adam

Adam New Member

I do not know what stuff you're reading.

16. YODA

Hes' reading the back of a packet of breakfast cereal I think.

17. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Cool, look forward to seeing the new Karate in 12 years, hope it has some good kata's! :D

18. Knight_Errant

no, no, the mokuso thing is kanazawa's own words, or so I'm told, and the other two things come from 'John van Weenen MBE 7th dan, chief instructor at T.A.S.K'...

19. YODA

Actually I have Kanazawa's book here :D

The section you quoted is on page 16.

20. YODA

......and yes - I thought so - your 2nd quote is on page 5 of John Van Weenen's "The Beginner's Guide to Shotokan Karate"

---- The Yodarchives are indeed deep :D