Muay boran in Ong-Bak

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Viking, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Is the spinning and flying kicks shown in this movie really belong to Muay-boran or Ling-Lom?If so,can anyone gives informn about those kicks?

2. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

Well I know jack about traditional Muay Thai, but if you are looking for the quickest answer to your question google would be your best bet.

3. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Apparrent Tony Jaa studied some Korean arts (TKD for example) so I'd say its more likely the flashy kicks are from Korean arts. But I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that...

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

most of the kicks that arent muay thai looked like capoeira to me. but Tony Jaa has extensive training in "movie fu" as well as muay thai and tkd. and no, those spinning kicks are not in muay boran (afaik)

5. john888

john888 Valued Member

Hi There,

What you see in Ong Bak is a mixture of TKD, Muay Boran and Gymnastics. Tony Jaa studied at a school not to dissimilar to Samo Hung and Jacky Chan. He has being learning Muay Thai for around 4 years. His main martial art is TKD. The director of Ong Bak coached Tony a lot for the majority of Muay Boran moves you see in the film.

A great film and helps to raise the profile for Muay Thai in the UK/US.

John

6. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

There is ONE aerial kick from muay Boran...if you recall the scene where he flips backwards and somersault kicks a guy after putting out the fire on his legs. That's about it.

While his kicks are not muay Boran, they are nevertheless "thai-ish" in that he at least follows through with many of them and twists his hips for power and penetration.

7. georgestando

georgestando Valued Member

There are some high jump kicks and some spinning but nothing overly elaborate. Tony Jaa was using a theatrical hybrid for the movie based on some muay boran techniques. So you see with the fusion other techs from other systems to brighten it up for the theatrical experience.