Karate and it place nowadays

Discussion in 'Karate' started by xplasma, Jun 19, 2003.

1. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Hello all,

I recently was reading an article on the history and evoluation of NHB tournments and UFC and I came across a quote "Boxers learned how to grapple, Grapplers learned how to box, and the Karate masters learned how to stay home" then later the articles commented on how before UFC Karate and TDK masters would go around a claim to be the greatest fighters, but when UFC came around most were tapped out in less then a minute. This got me thinking about Karate as a true fighting art. Is Karate just an old useless form of fighting for the modern day or something that can be adapted for use outside the dojo? I know that where I am we do not invite the Washin Ryu Karate guys to join the NHB matches cuase we think they will get hurt and do not pocess enough practical fighting knowledge.

2. mani

mani Valued Member

I definietly do not think that this is the case.

it really irritates me when people say that karate is not a lethal art.

karate is very effective and I think there is no doubt about if karatekas would be able to compete in tournaments such as UFC.
    I would also ask the question that is there anything that karatekas cant do that boxers or kickboxers can do, there is nothing special about these arts that karatekas cannot do and compete with them. I am sure there are some great fighters in Japan who train under karate and are very lethal and could easily compete in tournaments such as UFC. But they dont and this could be because of various reasons.

3. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

"karate is very effective and I think there is no doubt about if karatekas would be able to compete in tournaments such as UFC"
    ~mani

if? Anyone is allow to sign up for MMA tournments. Who stops them from signing up?

4. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Depends on the system of karate you practice really, and how vigorously you practice it. Also bear in mind that competition, any competition including NHB, uses a set of rules and therefore favours particular techniques and strategies. It is not a true reflection of how well a particular martial art performs in a self-defence situation.

I must admit though, much karate is pants when it comes to self-defence.

Mike

5. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Xplasma your talk off UFC.
    The grapplers are doing very well there.
    But if you pause to wonder if there always just one apponent? You get a diffrent view. If I have you one down in a lock is it any good cuz the other fella is kicking me in the head? I don't think so but I don't know about you.

One of my instructures told me: "there is no point in doing fancy movements to take out an apponent if they consume time. Because while fighting time is something you don't have. Quick effective techniqe and to the next one."

But we should train vs. one vs. many vs. no one and not for just one specific amount of apponents.

Because of this I think this is not a good question to ask.

Regards Kerling

6. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Karate works great... as a cultural art

Also good for people that want to say they train, but don't want to put the effort into doing it right, Black belt helps that as it gives "proof" of skill without actually having to step onto the mat and play.

Not being as effective as other options doesn't make it "bad" or that it has no place. No one ever give Tai Chi people a hard time about lack of success against others. But then Tai Chi doesn't have as many people claiming they could beat all those "Ultimate Fighters" if it weren't got the rules and the ring....

But as long as people enjoy it it will have a place.

:D

*Puts on flame proof suit*

7. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

I agree with Andrew 1 x 10 ^76 % (if that's possible). I mean It's one thing to practice an art and not compete, but it's a whole nother beast to hide behind your ignorace. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings here so I will say this carefully. For practical self defense some arts are better than others Lets face the facts: saying that no art is better than any other art is just being polite. If you went to a toaster convention and asked a toaster conisour what toaster he like best he would probably say "all of them are good in there own way", but every man knows a 4 slice toaster would kick a 2 slice toasters ass. Also the way one trains makes a big diffrence. Training the traditional way that we most know of; standing and doing 100 front kicks followed by 100 punches. is a waste of time. Learn how to do a move then spend the rest of your time learning how to apply it against a fully resisting opponent. I never said that other arts "sucked" or anything like that I am just giving this thread a dose of reality. As far as Karate in UFC . . . .most karate instructors have limited grappling knowledge, but if a Karateka where to learn some grappling I think he would be far better off.

PS- /me grabs his fire blankie

Last edited: Oct 24, 2003
  8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

*Gasp

Terry Mathes in "I agree with Andrew" shocker!

*Gasp :D

9. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

He has no choice ;)

10. Cain

Cain New Member

Either you bribed him or blackmailed him.......which is it????

:D

|Cain|

11. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I just choke him if he doesn't :D

12. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

The chokes . . . they hurt :(

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Gee! Such a wonderful thought :D

|Cain|

14. YODA

That's what I figured.

15. YODA

You mean you choke him MORE if he doesn't?

16. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

There are definitley schools of Karate that are for "sport" only and of course there are many that are based in reallity.
    If you observe a "sport" Karate school you might be tempted to say that Karate would be ineffective in a real fight, but observing real Karate would show you otherwise. Katate is most definitely a fighting system capable of producing good real fighters.

17. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

But it's fighters usually only fight under a standard set of rules that somewhat limit the effectivness of a real fight. No one is going to follow kyokushin knockdown rules in real life. I'm not trying to bash karate, I am just saying that NHB would be much more effective test of skill.

18. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Yeah, and no one is going to follow UFC rules in a real fight.
    Not everyone in Martial Arts is looking to be UFC champion, some want to learn one set of Martial Arts and not just a mix of something with no set tradition.

19. NMRD

NMRD New Member

all fighting styles are needed

there is no perfect fighting style you need to know how to grapple and fight standing up i feel the optimum combination is brazilian jujitsu and thai boxing since thai boxing is the ultimate standing style karate and other styles are too open for attack

20. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

And yet alot of Thai Fighter hold their hand up high,
    Let me know where Karateka are to open, please.