Gimme dat Jing, gimme, gimme, gimme dat.....

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Taiji Butterfly, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Further to the 'Fast...' discussion here is a list of Jings shamelessly stolen from another forum lol :rolleyes:

Hope this is interesting and/or useful. All constructive input from fellow Taiji practitioners is welcome.
    Peace
    N :Angel:

2. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Cool, except for the last one which comes out the rear-end of bovine males.

Lots of crossover into mantis with it's short-power, shock power and float,sink, swallow, spit.

Rgds,
    David

3. Taiji Butterfly

I wouldn't be so sure.
    I have seen and felt evidence of this last power in training. Sure the idea of knocking someone over and/or out may be hard to swallow, but it is possible to affect someone's energy at range, so surely with a lot of practice..... maybe.... I guess what I'm saying is that I can feel energy 'hands off' and I practice (fa gong?) qi healing without touching always. I can match a partner's centre with my own with eyes closed and sense their movement a lot of the time. Sure, I can't hit someone like that yet (not really sure I want to anyway lol) but I believe it can be done, maybe after another thirty or forty years practice.... who knows?

4. silksword

silksword New Member

interesting, so which forum did this come from by the way?

5. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

Nigel,
    I've been reading a book from my local library about the energies but in another area as it's also connected with healing (I'm not going to live this one down lol) it's called Sexual Healing through Yin and Yang, (Zaihong Shen) it's a very good book concerning the different energies from the male perspective lol, quite amusing from the females as well but I'm not going there at this moment, we'll have to chat about that one in the cafe sometime as a group lol.
    As before the energies aren't much different to what I've read about or even used in certain areas already, through a different source as you know lol. Have you read the book The magic of healing as well (Richard Lawrence) as it's also a good book which also shows that you don't have to actually touch anyone physically to be able to send that energy to anyone, there are many more books on the market for this purpose but if you are getting used to the different stages of using this type then I suppose it can be used as defence as well ( I'm being good not to mention the r word or the craft lol). I am starting to use the symbols though and I think you could use them to tease others while they are training lol, as if I'd do such a thing lol. I have seen some weird stuff with energy and it does make you sit up and take notice of how you can abuse some of the giftings which people have and how it can manifest in the person receiving it, I suppose you have to be careful no matter even if your the one who's on the receiving end or the one giving the healing, you still have to respect where it's come from in the first place as we can all get to involved in what's happening and forget that it's a gift and not from ourselves anyway.
    lisa xx

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Very useful and interesting, thanks.

Which one's fa jing again? :D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  7. Taiji Butterfly

Energeticsart at Yahoo. A chap called Richard Dunn posted it if I remember right
    N :cool:

8. Taiji Butterfly

OMG don't go there lol :rolleyes:
    Fa jing is (I now realise lol) as far as I can tell - and depending on what school you learn from - a generic term for 'issuing power'...
    the list of jings above are more specific ways of both issuing, receiving, neutralising and manipulating 'power'. I have heard of other types that are not on that list - particularly the Yangs (reputed) ability to cause a burning pain with a sustained touch...

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

yeah, just kidding around TB

I see that it's all about the different ways of useing jing(skills), I find it interesting that the list includes a couple of references to psychology. I think it is the subtle interplays between qi,shen,yi,jing that can manifest these jings(skills) that lead to some interesting psycho physical effects.

It is also interesting to note that the Yang family in particular has gone the furthest in this field of study, and this in turn has led to Yang taiji being seen as the more 'metaphysical' of all the styles of taijiquan.

Just as important as physical song is mental song and when harmonized can lead to the senseing and comprehension of the different manipulations of 'energies' a seasoned taiji player may gain access to.

I for one look forward to lots of years ahead of exploring the many levels of taiji practice.

10. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

A complete waste of 40 years. It's a gimmick at best and will never work martially. Reiki etc: cool; fighting: well I might lmao and die from that...

Rgds,
    David

11. Taiji Butterfly

Sorry you feel that way, I respect your opinion - even if I disagree with it lol.
    But seeing as I've already decided to keep practising Taiji til I drop dead anyway it won't be a total waste of time for me - if I ever develop that power then I'll come show you it ;) , if not, fair enough - you were right! :D Someone asked Tian Yin Jia (4th generation Yang style master) if he had Lin Kong Jing and he replied "not yet"....
    LOL - he's 74!!
    We're dead patient us Taijiers.....
    Peace

12. Taiji Butterfly

Git lol :cool:
    Yeah completely agree - I think people who trash qi and jing in TJQ MA don't realise that. Qi can also mean 'mind' in one interpretation. Jing is as much about psychology and mentally overpowering the opponent as any 'mysterious energy'...
    Yeah cool :cool: never thought about it that way before. Good point
    Too true Blue
    Ditto likewise
    Peace

13. reikislapper

HI Taiji Butterfly,

Just a tiny question, I've had another look at the list and see that you use some of these already ;) ;) .

How many of the jing energies do you think you use when your training as I'm sure you could use a combination of them all if needed. Is there any one you'd like to have as there are quite a few to have I suppose and would you use it in a defence if needed.
    Hope you don't mind this questioning Taiji :D
    lisa xx

14. Taiji Butterfly

Hi Fallentoa
    No idea LOL I don't really think of it like that - I just relax and feel what's in front of me then see what happens. I suspect I only use the first few and maybe bits of others at this stage....
    (I do like 'folding power' in particular tho ;) )
    My belief is that these things will develop in time if I keep practising and keep myself receptive - Mr Tian confirmed this also last year when I asked him about it....
    Also as I have no teacher at present who can teach me how to develop and give me specific exercises to quicken the process, I am taking the patient route.
    There are always two directions round the Taiji circle - yin and yang - both meet, overlap and transform one into the other at times.
    The 'yang' route is the structured, theoretical, systematic way of development which ultimately leads to spontaneous flow and 'sung' - freedom from structure. Most modern Taiji classes run on these lines.
    The 'yin' route is the soft, receptive, free-form, relaxing, yielding way of inner exploration, meditation, spirit-world communication and instinctive wisdom which ultimately gives rise to understanding and structure arising from within - freedom in structure. I learnt from this route and teach this way also.
    Ultimately - One becomes the other.
    If I could choose a jing? Obviously the last one - Lin Kong Jing :rolleyes:
    lol
    Peace

15. reikislapper

Depends how long the distance is doesn't it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: lol,
    I'm so pleased you can't reach me from here lol.
    lisa xx

16. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Nice post i can never remember all the different jings. One of Dr yang, jwing mings books has a really good write up about them all. But TB i am a little dissappointed with you putting in the the no touch stuff. Most of what you say i go along with and i like the way you put it down.I think you and i have have both been training alot of years. In that time i have played with a lot of teachers and not one of them has ever proved to me anything in that direction and most would probably laugh at the suggestion.

17. reikislapper

Can anyone suggest a good book to get into the different jing energies please as I'd like to study how they work and try and see where I'm going wrong in this area.
    lisa xx

18. Taiji Butterfly

Not sure of my wisdom saying this openly:cool:

Sorry bout that, friend moon. The 'no touch' is nevertheless documented and listed in the classics, Yang Lu Chan and Yang Jiang Hou supposedly had it, Mr Tian believes in it and so do I. To doubt one jing surely undermines the validity of all of them, no?
    I would again say - it's not the movies, but it is possible imo.
    Are you making a pass at me? LOL Seriously tho, thank you for that. So, ask yourself why would a sane, rational, worldly wise person like myself make such a claim? (Reluctantly I shall answer my retorical question below - I did consider pming this, but hey why not be open and see what happens I always say...?? :rolleyes: )
    I think that's true in many ways too. I have certainly come across much bovine foetor in the MA world too lol
    Interesting - but that does not mean there aren't teachers out there who might be able to prove it to you. I was taught stuff I've never seen in other TJQ classes and that often surprises students who've trained elsewhere - nothing outwardly impressive, just qi development stuff and types of form movement... but it shows there is a broad range of Taiji teachings :cool:
    I've never seen a Blue Whale or the Northern Lights - does that mean they don't exist? Two students at the school I learnt at claimed my teacher could do 'no touch' strikes and demonstrated it once, but I didn't see it. I trust both men's word tho. My first ninjutsu teacher taught me part of a technique that I have since seen demonstrated in full on Mind Body and Kick Ass Moves - moving someone at range from behind with hand gestures. I can usually do this on a passive volunteer with no priming, it's quite resistable if you know how to centre and only produces a small movement, but it is a 'no touch' technique.
    I also managed to influence someone's balance and make them stumble once when I was angry, this may have been coincidence, but it was what I was trying to achieve.... I have not attempted it since as I consider it somewhat unethical lol.
    During circular form practice one of my senior student's produced a 'no touch' punch accidently which really freaked out the student next to them! lol
    I also practice healing without touching and you can see the body respond to it with tiny movements the recipient is entirely unaware of.
    Now don't get me wrong, all this is small potatoes compared to striking someone at range, but the principle is there. Given enough time and the right training and attitude... who knows?
    Personally I do not really aspire to it as such (unless I can reach Derbyshire with it LOL) I always think these things are a bit show offy really. If I can break or dislocate your arm by twisting my body in the right way, who needs 'no touch'? lol I would be happy just to be able to launch someone a few feet with 'hands on' or maybe just be a competent Taiji boxer or half decent healer by the time I check out, but as I said before, I'll just relax and see what happens!!
    Peace

19. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

In that case we will have to agree to disagree. I have trained with some brilliant martial artists my present teacher lives in the east which allows me to meet some very interesting people and the no touch for me does not work. The healing part of no touch maybe i am a qualified shiatsu practitioner and i feel my work is much better with touch though some work with very little contact. I also did some Reiki and its idea of not touching again did nothing for me, though others swear by it. I will believe the no touch idea in martial arts when i am at the wrong end of it. As for making a pass if you look like Vanessa Paradis i could almost be tempted but the fact you are the wrong sex would put a real dampner on it and i bet you dont have a french accent either.

20. reikislapper

There's only one answer to that Taiji Butterfly, as in your words Bawhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :p :p :p .
    dream on lol.
    lisa xx