Aikido Against Combinations

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by DragonDude, Apr 14, 2005.

1. DragonDude

DragonDude New Member

Can Aikido deal with boxing hand combinations or rapid hand Kenpo type combinations?

As all the demos you see a person sticks out their arm like reverse Karate punch, but single punch.

What about combination kicks? Like Tae Kwon Do.

Again all demos you see it is against single kicks usually basic front & side kicks.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

:love:

As for the original question...

Geeze, Aikido is both a way of life and a fighting system to some. As a way of life it is not all about fighting but more about personal development.

As a fighting system, it is just like any other system, it is only a starting point so that people don't have to re-invent the wheel all the time.

A starting point is a means to build a foundation, but you can't live on just foundation, at some point you must build and add on to that foundation.

If you want to ask HOW an Aikidoka deals with combinations of punches, there is no one answer, but you will find that a foundation in Aikido tends to lead to striking very similar to what people would more commonly think is Filipino martial arts. You have to think outside the system to find the answers. By outside the system, I mean you have to look beyond the foundation the system builds and look at what is built on top of that foundation to find specific techniques and strategies that people use.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  4. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

One option would be not to wait to be attacked but go straight in and take them out, or attack the front while you irmi round the back to choke or damage the neck. An Aikidoka's worst option would be to go toe to toe against say a boxer or mutiple puncher and kicker, unless they have that kind of background as well and have managed to incorparted there arts. There is no one way for Aikido to be done. I hate the way most Aikido schools demo there art. especially the old uke running around in circles after toris arm all the time.You need to look at Attacks like yokomen and the defencive movements to these angles, then free your mind up and play with the disatnces, If you are wanting your art to be good against a fighter you have to be able to take a good hit especially in the face. If you have this vision that you can avoid being hit al the time, your art will never work, its pure fantasy. True budo would be to accept your not invincible, but to still go and and give as good as you get.

5. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

The stock answer I have for question such as these are...

"You train to whatever level you wish to acheive"

IF you want to be able to deal with boxers' go practice against boxers', if you want to deal with Karate-ka, go study and practice with them. Otherwise 'standard' aikido waza which is weapons influanced won't be enough, nor will a student's understanding of the combative environment found when dealing with a person who is proficiant in both kicking and punching.

As was posted in this thread, don't wait to be punched or kicked with combinations. Dump the sucker on his **** first.

People have to remember that an "assault" may start long before fisticufs are brought to bear so, once a person appears to be beyond reasoning with, I'm taking control quickly, this may happen within a few short seconds or after some dialogue, either way I'm NEVER waiting to be punched or kicked before I respond; thus in answer to your question. "YES"

Dave

6. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Nice point - in the UK assault does not need violence (that becomes 'battery') and if you reasonably believe you are being threatened with violence it's OK to strike first.

If a guy adopts a fighting posture or clenches a fist or puts his face in mine, that's enough in my book. That's where Aikido scores - no need for dramatic postures to telegraph a fight.

Our dojo building was shared with a boxing club. We didn't volunteer to get in ther ring and they sure didn't volunteer to get on our mat. One guy did both and he was awesomely equipped for the street.

I'm agreeing with Dave Humm, I think. - Again??? :)

7. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

It happens with everyone eventually (lol)

Dave