Shaolin Monk- Iron forearms/arms

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by sanj, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanj

sanj Valued Member

HI- Is it possible for a shoalin monk to toughen his body beyond steel/metal?? I know they do alot of intense training and qi gong- (iron wire set)- and this doubles the intensity in their forearms and body- but on a D&D website- I found out that it was possible for a shoalin monk/monk warrior- to break through diamond - the hardest substance- with any part of his super-conditioned body- i.e forearms- which is which I'm working on.

The AC points goes something like:

Wood= 300
    Rock/Stone = 700
    Iron/Metal = 1000
    Armour = 1500
    Diamond = 2000

Can this be possible for a shoalin monk- whether or not he decided to become a warrior monk- at what point does a shaolin monk become a warrior- does the head monk decide?? I think it's possible- but must be the summit of superhuman power- without becoming a celestial being/God.

2. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I very highly doubt that any human can cut through diamond with their own body. Diamond can only be cut with diamond. And as we are limited to bone/muscle, we unfortunately cannot obtain the properties of diamond, no matter how much conditioning you do. :cool:

3. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

You're working on breaking through diamond? You must have a lot of money.

First of all, I find it odd that a someone is claiming Shaolin monks can break through diamond, because it's not like there are just sheets of diamond lying around. How do you break "through" a small jewel? A sheet of glass, I could understand, but the idea of breaking through diamonds doesn't make sense to me.

Second of all, even if someone can break "through" diamonds, he still couldn't break through steel. Because of the crystal structure and rigidity of diamons, they can be cracked/shattered, whereas steel would just dent at best.

In any event, breaking diamonds seems like an expensive hobby.

edit: Also, I don't think you have to worry about Shaolin monks becoming "celestial human beigns" or "gods" any time soon.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  4. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Humans breaking through diamond! HAHAHA!
    Sorry, but you have more chance of punching a hole through 10 feet of steel ;)

5. sanj

sanj Valued Member

Shaolin monk

Quote: 'I very highly doubt that any human can cut through diamond with their own body.'

Bear in mind that the shaolin monks are more than just human- they have super levels of strength and power that even a very advanced martial artist- I'm talking 8th, 9th, 10th dans- don't have. :rolleyes:

Besides- if it is true that Sifus sometimes train on metal objects to condition- and possibly bend/dent the metal objects- then surely the monks of the highest caliber- would go even beyond this.

Also- why would someone want to lie about the possibility of cutting the hardest object- this was probably composed by a shoalin grandmaster himself- if you go to website on the kagata- or crucible- you'll see the various levels of conditioning for each part of the body- and it includes crushing steel objects- with the bare hands- yes- and this is only at level 3 or 4- out of 20- so I would assume armour and diamond would be like level 15- 20- with all that chi power!!

If diamond can cut diamond- diamond must be just as tough as itself- since no other object can cut it- so logically- if a shaolin monks forearms are harder than metal/steel armour- then they would be very likely to be as hard as diamond- which means yes- they could smash it- at the highest possible superhuman level- they would also know where to strike it- just like solid objects- if it's hit in the right place- it will crack- probably in the middle! :)

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

With all due respect, a DnD website, not exactly the most reliable martial arts source. And those "AC"s come straight from the player's handbook. I'd advise that you check a less fictious source in the future....

7. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Look, I know shaolin monks are very mystical and strong, but that does not overcome the fact that they are still human beings. The sheer force required to break through diamond is immense, and because of Newton's 3rd law (every force must have an equal and opposite force), the force relayed back to the striker would more than likely break the limb attempting the task. Diamond has a giant covalent structure, meach carbon atom uses its 4 outer electrons to form 4 strong covalent bonds with other carbon atoms, resulting in millions of pyramids all joined together, and the triangle is well known for being one of the strongest shapes. Metals have a giant metallic structure formed from lots of metal ions being in a lattice (layer). This is a considerably weaker shape than diamond. I am not denying that metal cannot be dented, i know this is perfectly possible, however, breaking diamond? I'll only believe it when i see it.

8. AZeitung

I don't know, to impress people, maybe?

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Sanj, with you logic, it's no different than saying that "oh monks are super human. That means they can fly"

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

It's all coming from Dungeons and Dragons, fer crying out loud. Version 3.5, the Monk core character class. They get special abilities such as "magic strike", "adamantium strike", and at 20th level, they become "outsiders" for game purposes. This sounds like another person thinking Radki.

11. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    HAHAHA ROFLMAO ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!well.....im working on becoming a super sayen, i heard they can blow up entire planets with energy blast, heard of any good dojos that teach this???

12. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

Yes it IS possible for a Shaolin monk of 18th level+ to break things like steel, possibly diamond at level 20+. The problem is it takes so much Chi power, usually so much more than a human body can physically contain that they must transcend their form first, and are usually given bodies such as those used by angels on Earth... very resilient with massive untapped energy potential. They also live for far longer than the average human, sometimes up to 300 years, and this is the reason why they live in the mountains and rarely come down from them. Don't let anyone here tell you that they cannot do it, because they know nothing of the true power of Shaolin. :woo:

(Bwahahahaha I can't believe he actually used a D&D website as reference and mentioned "levels"... that is hilarious! :D).

13. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Bwahahahahaha, I cant believe you guys replied to this post, I mean seriously who would be dumb enough to take this thread seriously and waste there time replying....

DAMNIT!!

14. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

because the poster takes himself seriously, and we should respect him for that :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

15. sanj

sanj Valued Member

Exactly- I like to find out info- now that just shows how many levels they are of shoalin monk training- let alone the sifus and even the 10th dan grandmaster of shaolin/karate- it's blooming fascinating and awe- inspiring :Angel:

16. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

Fair enough but how do you expect us to take someone seriously who saw something on a DUNGEONS & DRAGONS website (a FANTASY setting) and took it as fact?!?!?!?! Unless you're just very very young I s'pose in which case it's forgiveable... but only just...

17. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

I think we need to start a fund to send him to a reality boot camp.

18. AZeitung

Actually, you can pay to live and train with the Shaolins in certain schools. Maybe if we sent him there for the summer he'd see that these guys aren't smashing diamonds with their forearms (smashing them on what? If on a wooden table, wouldn't the diamond just get driven into the table?).

19. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

Honestly you need to get out of the house more, and Shaolin monks are extinct, unless you want to learn modern wushu. Anways check this out, it shows the dangers of playing too much D&D, as sanj just demonstrated.

http://www.cybermoonstudios.com/8bitDandD.html

20. sanj

sanj Valued Member

It's true- even my parents were a bit skeptical- but then- you could excuse them- for they haven't studied martial arts. But then- who could deny the breaking of ordinary karate masters- I saw 1st hand myself- in college, there were 2 black belts- one 3rd dan, the other 4th- breaking solid tiles and cement with their bare hands- punching through and kicking- consecutively- as it they were made of straw- for about 25-30 minutes.
    This was before I even heard of Shaolin training/monks. At the end- we were invited to feel the material- and even try to break it- at our own risk!! Well- one guy dared me to break it- I picked it up- felt it- and boy it was real- I didn't want to risk damaging my fist- as that was the only thing that was going to get broken- had I tried!! So I just held it- then put it down.
    So- if normal karate experts can do this for real- and the shaolin sifus/masters are more advanced- and the shaolin monks are super-advanced- as seen in the concerts- where they use their qigong as well as mental/physical conditioning- how can any serious martial artist dispute their breaking power?? I mean- even my bros thought that the breaking metal over their heads was fake- no- it's 100% real- it even says so on the cover of the DVD- anyone who still doesn't believe this is plain dumb and ignorant- and this is probably at level 5-8.
    So I'm sure that with continued training more than one monk can break diamond- that's appreciating the real power of shaolin power & training at it's highest caliber- not being unrealistic!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.