Usefulness of weapon training?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Adam, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Excactly how useful is it to train with conventional weapons (staff, knife, club, nunchucks, swords etc.) for self-defense situations? I mean, it has become illegal to carry most weapons (at least it is here) except for small knives. Can you train using weapons in defense nowadays, or is it more of a sport?

And no, I don't know anything about weapons training.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Unfortunately your attacker (The Criminal) doesn't obey the law.

Weapons are all around us - better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

3. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I think Bokken and Jo training is pretty practical because it can be applied to many things, like sticks, brooms, mops, etc.

4. YODA

I prefer to train with sticks, brooms, mops, etc :D

5. Adam

Adam New Member

But what if you don't have something sticklike at hand when you're attacked? Wouldn't you have to carry the weapon yourself to use it? A broom sort of sticks out if you have to carry it around on your night out with the boys.
    Many people carry knives. Wouldn't knives be the most useful skill to learn?

6. YODA

There is almost ALWAYS something at hand that can be used as a weapon.

Often the attacker will be carrying it - take it off him & beat his mates about the head with it :D

7. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Though i haven't done as much weapons training(some knife & a little stickwork) as i'd like, i think it is very important to have the knowledge!

It MIGHT just save your life sometime!

8. YODA

Like any form of training - you need to put a LOT of training in with weapons to be functional with them.

I mean REAL training - realistic drilling, hitting things, realistic sparring - not just kata and what amounts to "oriental medieval reinactment".

One thing that REALY p1sses me off is the (for example) Karate guy that does a 3 stick seminars then says he "also does Eskrima" - He'd be well brassed off if I did 3 Karate sessions and then advertised that I "also do Karate" :woo:

9. Adam

Adam New Member

Interesting Yoda. Can you give some examples from real life?
    Most people seem to get into fights in discos or bars, so maybe glasses, bottles, chairs or potted plants might be useful to learn?
    Do you train in improvised weapons, like carkeys/pencils?

10. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Well people like to pick on my on my way to Kendo, so just incase they attack me I have a Katana with me. :D I don't think I would really ever use a sword on anyone unless they were gonna kill me or something but katana can be applied to sticks (the ones that grow off trees) or some other things.

11. Adam

Adam New Member

Haha, that would be a sight to see.
    Mugger: Don't mess with me, I've got a knife
    Jedimasterchris: That? That's not a knife! THIS is a knife. *pulls katana, hooligans scarper* :D

But you can't stab or chop with a stick, just beat. Surely that's not the same thing? The parrying might be the same I think.

12. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

That's me, Crocodile Dundee. :D

Slashing isn't the only attack with a sword,There is also slapping and hacking technigues that can be applied to it. A Hanbo or Jo is probably the best all around I want to take it up pretty soon.

13. Adam

Adam New Member

Short staff isn't it?

14. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Stabbing techniques can be applied to a stick but it won't penetrate the same way, if you want to stab with a stick you should aim for certain target areas like the stomach, chest, sternum, and face. If a stick is heavy you could try for a hack to the collar bone or to the face, lighter sticks aren't as good for this.

15. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I'm not sure if my memory is correct but a Hanbo is 3 feet and a Jo is 4 and a bo is 6 feet.

16. Adam

Adam New Member

To get back to the original question: Is it useful to learn weapon fighting for self defense today?

17. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

As Yoda said, yes it is. Look around think what you could use. And not only that, some will say weapons training increases your speed/timing.

18. YODA

Sure it is. In fact I'd say is vital.

19. Sc0tsg1t

Sc0tsg1t New Member

I agree with Yoda

Weapons training is vital I believe for the martial artist. The training itself (whatever it may be with) will aid the spacial awareness of the exponent and improve reaction time and speed. In my case i also find it helps my 'empty hands' skills. After training with weapons, and the adrenalin rush you get from that, hands and legs seem to move that bit slower.

Not that by looking at the state of my face you could of course agree to that.

20. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

its vital if only for the fact that you should know how to fight against weapons.

You never know when some nut job weilding a cheapie katana will come charging at you. It may be life saving to know how to at least disarm the nut.

And wepons do move so much faster than an empty hand ,mostly,
    I can swing a stick or a sword faster than I kick or punch. A

And there is that whole crocodile dundee scene as mentioned earlier
    Me to mugger with a switch blade : nice knife but this here is what I carry *pulls out a long sword* now run along befroe I get annoyed

:D