Judo Or Sambo - Street Effectiveness Aspect

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by NewFighter, Apr 5, 2005.

1. NewFighter

NewFighter New Member

Hello all.

I'm totally new to Martial Arts, and i already want to start my trainings for the first time.

Basically i have 3 available MA styles that i can pick from (location issues):

The main 2 are Judo and Sambo, and the third one is probably what you call "Free wrestling".

I'd like to know which one of those 3 will be the most effective on street, will raise my self-confidence and help me to stay calm and in control (reminds me of a tampon ad oO).

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  2. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

As far as I know Judo and Sambo are quite closely related, as many Judoka also train in Sambo, and some schools have close ties with eachother. Judo seems more throw based with less attention paid to groundwork, while Sambo is a bit more grappling less throwing.

I imagine free-wrestling (bit general) would come in very handy in a real situation, but then again so can Judo with some adaptation. However, Sambo im not too clued up on really, but like the others I imagine it could be used in a real situation perfectly fine if you know how to apply it.

They are all good arts. :)

3. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

My friend free wrestles, and yes it's very handy, infact he helped me out of a scrap just the other day. Smashed the kids face right into his shoulder and locked the kid until he gave up while crankin his arm and threatenin that he'd break it.

4. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Is the wrestling freestyle wrestling?

If I were you I'd try them all out. I wish I had sambo in my area.

5. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

^That is the BEST signature.

Anyway, assuming the instruction and equipment is equally good, I would go for Sambo.

6. NewFighter

NewFighter New Member

Yes, it's Freestyle wrestling.

My father useed to do that back when he was young in Russian, and he suggests that i'll go to Sambo, he said that once they had like a little tourney on the street involves various of MA styles, and the Sambo guy was just amazing, it's very effective he says, but it was probably Comabt Sambo, and as i know they teach it only at the military/police...
    Obviously, it depends on the person, but it seemed like a really nice MA as he said, but looks like there's not much people who train in Sambo, people hardly mention it on fourms etc.., i wonder why...

Anyway, any more suggestions?

7. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Sambo is a fantastic art and one I really enjoy it is a solid and reliable art.

At least give it a try.

8. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

Free wrestling is freestyle wrestling???- I take it you are in America. You are spoit for choice- however at the risk of being awkward I would say for "street effectiveness" you have to know how to hit- or deal with a guy throwing bombs at you since it will be a while before you are an expert grappler.

Like sonshu says, sombo is good- it has advantages over judo- less restrictions on grips and some rules- but I don't know if they do chokes- (which I would say are v, useful on the street)

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

both. it will depend on you. if you know how to use it, it will work. judo and sambo (even freestyle wrestling) are effective forms of self-defense. but you have to make it work.

10. ClubbellTrainer

ClubbellTrainer Fitness Coach

All 3 art good for street defense, provided you have a quality instructor that makes you work. Until you get some decent skill, your conditioning will have more to with success than will the specific art that you choose to practice. The ideal combination is a highly skilled instructor that makes you work AND teaches you to be effective.

With a teacher like that, you will become able to do some great things in 6 months or less.

11. JACKOFALLTRADES

JACKOFALLTRADES Banned Banned

Sambo it doesn't use the the gi as much

12. Foresight

Foresight New Member

Think just like all things it depends on how you train, if you train to compete you will be a competitor or if you train for self defence you will be better at that! This is where finding a club that meets you specific training focus is key!

Tom

13. jinroh-81

jinroh-81 New Member

Why not train in both?