Yang Shao Hou's small frame?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by inthespirit, Apr 4, 2005.

1. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone can identify the form in the following video. By its characteristics and lineage, I guess it could be the Yang Shao Hou small frame, but that’s just an educated guess.

Its performed by a disciple of Wu Tu Nan, who in turn was a disciple of Yang Shao Hou and Wu Chien Chuan.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=master

7 mb file,may take a while to load...

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

nice clip!
    thanks

I can see elements of Yang/Wu styles. Judgeing by the opening - definately small frame. I think it could be a Wu fast form set. The reason I say that is that it looks like a fast form with slow bits, rather than a slow form with fast bits if that makes sense. Also as I understand it small frame is not a different form altogether but a level/style of practice that you evolve into over time. I would assume its those kinds of people who then are taught a fast form/set.

As I understand it there were 9 versions of the old Yang form and subsequently 9 versions of the new yang form and also a masters form. As a student progressed up the scale-hidden moves were put in, moves done a bit differently etc. - getting progressively more difficult. As it would be so difficult to learn the highest expression of the form right off the bat. The old form was practiced at varying speeds also. But this form does not seem to have enough moves/postures to be a small frame version of the old form. Sometimes short fast set were added to the end of a long form.

It's all guesswork really though :)

Was that the whole form in that clip?

Regards
    geo

3. noblenicky

noblenicky New Member

It looks more like Tang Lang rather than taiji. His hands are clearly moving independently from his waist.

PS. Something about the look of his back structure doesnt feel right. Cant put my finger on it.

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

It would not surprise me too much if it was, I know this man studied Shaolin since a young age, it could well be an amalgamation of some sort. But, saying that, I can see elements of Tai Ji in that form, most noticeably the ‘ward off’ in the beginning and ‘shoulder stroke’ near the middle. Also I know that more advanced forms have more subtle movements, so large movements are not overtly perceptible, this is more so for Wu style, more internal less external, as opposed to Chen style which is the other way around.

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hi there inthespirit

I came accross this site recently, it describes 'inside the door' Yang style training, forms etc. you may have seen it before. Not sure how it fits in, or how much of it is legit or not (like with most of this stuff) but interesting nonetheless and seems to come from a good lineage source.

http://www.whitewillowtaichi.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=76

On that form, I also recognised 'wave hands' and 'single whip' and another move that is in new yang that I don't know the name of. the bit were he waves his hand about in front of him waist height, although he does it much smaller frame and faster. The old yang I practice does not have that move. But the new yang I'm currently learning does (got to it, recently). Old yang starts off medium frame, deeper stances. New yang starts big frame, higher stances. Although the start off points are not same, I think the idea is still to practice both useing all the various combos over time, untill you evolve into your own expression of small frame. I doubt you would find 2 masters form to look exactly the same. so something like trying to gauge what xyz's form looked like is next to impossible. Although most/some? of the routes they took to formlessness (YLC) can be. If formlessness is the goal ?

hope that helps,
    regards geo

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  6. johnchow

johnchow New Member

re Yang Shao Hou's small frame?

Hello inthespirit,

That is an interesting videoclip you found. I would say it is Tai Chi and not Tang Lang. Peng. Lu, Chi, an is followed by Single Whip, and Brush Knee and Twist Right after that. Also, Parting Foot, righ and left, is soon followed by Advance and Punch Downwards. etc etc etc .............

Where did yu get this video clip? Can you tell me the source, the name of the performer, and whether there are mmore of the series? I would like to see more to determine what this lineage and specifics is.

Thank you very much in advance.

Please reply to my email address as I do not read this Martial Arts Planet forum - get there usually when I stumble upon a Google search.

Warmest regards,
    John Chow
    vajra_master@yahoo.com
    http://www.yellowbamboohk.com

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Thanks Geo, interesting link.

John, I sent you an e-mail.