Most powerful kickers?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Adam, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

In your opinion, which style breeds the most effective and powerful kicking fighters?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Muay Thai

3. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

i second that kicking the crap out of walls and trees all day man thats sore stuff

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I have to agree and say Muay Thai.

The body mechanics are yet to be bettered.
    Take the technique of a scrawny 65 Kilo Thai, add the physique of an 80 Kilo Western Athlete, and watch out!

Anyone doubting, just needs to see that clip Yoda posted a while back of Ernesto Hoost.

5. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Muay Thai here too.

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Muay Thai.

7. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Tae Kwon Do, without question.

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'd say Muay Thai too. Add in the hand/elbow techniques, and you've got a fighter I'd never want to go up against.

9. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Of course I am only saying Muay Thai because I do it. It really depends on the student.

10. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-I honestly think it is more a question of the mechanics of the kick rather than the style(nor am I merely trying to be PC). In "classic" muay thai, you really only have two kicks (though a fighter can adapt any kick they choose, of course), the front push/heel kick and the round. Muay thai is mainly about loading the hips to hit with maximum power. For this reason, we begin our white belts with this in our cirriculum. IMO, MT is the fastest and most direct way for students to learn this vital skill. However, many systems use the front push kick w/ the heel as a secondary version of the kick. If you look at body mechanics a properly done side kick or back kick generates FAR more power than even the thai version of the shin round kick. I would say though that roughly 75-85% of black belts do these kicks incorrectly, though.

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

MT with added TKD effect. deadly combination
    otherwise i'll say Muai Thai too
    -TkdWarrior-

12. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Muay Thai, if there was a better way they's start using it....

I agree, but more power is not always better. A side/back kick requires you to turn sideways which makes it easier for the other guy to get behind you and a bigger window where you can't effectively sprawl.

Maybe I can get more power on a punch by winding up or going from the hip, but I'll get knocked out more too...

With the right timing and setup they can deffinately work, they are just a lesser used tool.

A butterfly kick could probably knock someone out too, I just choose not to use it as the opportunities to use it, the risk involved and the training time required don't balance out to make it worthwhile for me to train it.

13. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Took the words right out of my mouth, Andrew Green. :)

I say mauy thai too, I used to kick kickboxing-style, but I get soo much more power now I kick thai style. :)

14. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Easy

Thai Fighters!

From my experience there is no question, they may not be the flashest Kickers but power!

No contest

SONSHU

15. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Not too sure myself, i'll say Tie Fighters, because i seen some of the people at my place kick and it scares me, and forces me to hide in salvation behind a punchbag :D

16. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Assassin

You say tie fighters - were they not in star wars - i would be more worried by the lasers mate!

SONSHU

17. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Yeah mate, hehe. Ig you could help me out as we are on the topic, since i taken up MT, i spend every minute i have free at home practicing my roudhouse technique on a target i made. I don't kick it really hard, but just to get my technique right. It's a pretty basic kick, but i just can't get it right. Should this kick be adapted quickly, or will it take time? I don't need tips coz there r loads in the Thai section, but i was just wondering if it takes time to get the right technique, even on this basic kick (btw i practice aiming at thigh height)

18. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Muay Thai.

Is anybody else noticing a trend?

Col

19. Helm

Helm New Member

Even though i do TKD, i'd say Muay Thai.

I think this was talked about before, Muay Thai kicks are thrown differently to TKD kicks. A TKD "Full" Roundhouse (we call em half-turning) is thrown chambered, and slams into you and through you for a few inches and bought back, a Muay Thai kick is thrown clean through you.

I think this is because the aim in Mauy Thai is to knock your opponent out or hurt them, because this isnt an easy option in TKD the kick is adapted to be faster, and chambered so it can be changed at the last moment.

Although the TKD kick looks simple, in my oppinion it is by far the hardest TKD kick to master, my TKD teacher generates huge power in his kicks, even when hes holding it back, through my body protector hes winded me countless times kicking so gently, this is because he chambers and snaps the kick so hard, you dont even notice the chamber, it feels slower but its so effective, and its a kick native to only the WTF style i believe, as the ITF kick doesnt feature a full 180o twist of the hips, and i've only recently realised this, having done TKD for 4 years now...

20. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I think I will be different but the same my vote goes to Khmer Kick boxing;)