rankings

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by kharandhil, Mar 14, 2005.

1. kharandhil

kharandhil New Member

I've got a newbie ninjutsu question...

how do rankings work in ninjutsu?

can someone explain detailed?

dont tell me I'm lazy i should look it up myself

I just expect a good explaination form someone who is willing to explain it...

i would like to know what ranks you have how much time it takes what it takes to get higher...

2. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Dont worry about the ranks. If all your looking for is a belt, go buy one. Start training, then worry about ranks.

I know that sounds mean, but it shouldnt matter to you. I know a lot of reall really really really good green belts, and some sucky black belts. I know some greens that understand the system more than black belts do. Worry about yourself and your knowledge first, ranks come second.

3. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Ranking's not the same within the Bujinkan as in other arts and rank is awarded for a number of reasons not just technical proficiency, I'm not saying thats the only reason for rank in all other arts but it's just different in the Bujinkan .

Personally I use my rank as a personal guide for my progression by using it to set goals, this helps me approach my training in a systematic manner and breaks up some concepts into more manageable "chunks" :D

As Siphus said I wouldn’t worry about it just enjoy training.

Maybe someone with a bit more experience than myself can comment.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  4. kharandhil

kharandhil New Member

I said i didnt want any useless comment...if you dont wanna help dont says u dont

just help me if you are willing to

I'm just curious

I know belts don't mean a lot, but people still do aply them...

I've got enough patience but a lot of curiousity too....

maybe I'll be a black belt some day or maybe i won't it doens t matter to me right now..only time will tell if so or not

5. cj256

cj256 Valued Member

usually white /green/black and it takes a long time!!! and lots of hard work too :) well thats at the dojo i train in bujinkan anyway
    it starts at 10th kyu white belt then you reach green belt and become 9th kyu , at this point you will remain green belt all the way from 9th kyu up to shodan where you become black belt ,this is where your real training is just starting!! :)

hope that helps

cj

6. Banpen Fugyo

What I said IS help. You havent even started training yet and you have already questioned on how long its gonna take to get to black belt. Story:

A young swordsmen went to ask a great master to train him. The master, known as Banzo, said "you will never be able to meet the necessary conditions"
    "But if I work extremely hard, how many years will it take me to become a master?"
    "The rest of your life."
    "I can't wait that long. I am ready to endure anything so long as I can follow your teaching. If I become your devoted servitor, how much time will it take?"
    "Oh, maybe ten years."
    "But you know, my father is getting old and I will soon have to take care of him. If I practice even more intensively, how many years will it take?"
    "Oh, maybe thirty."
    "How can that be?! first ten, now thirty. Believe me, I am ready to undergo anything in order to master this art in the shortest time possible!"
    "Oh, well in that case you will have to remain with me for seventy years. A man in as much of a hurry as you are to obtain results can hardly learn anything quickly".

I've been looking for an excuse to type that story for a while, thanks.

lol,
    Ryan

7. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Most of them go by the Kyu-Dan ranking system, but it's still different amoungst schools. You should just ask at the school you're joining, but Siphus is right about not caring about rank, just go in to learn.

8. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

My appologies to Kharandil I took it that you already knew about the colour usage within the Bujinkan that's why I didn't go into it. Sorry!!!! :D

9. kharandhil

kharandhil New Member

ok forget about how much time it takes i just wanted to know...

but if some dont want to answer....

ok could you just sum up grades and requirements....

I will know someday so why is it soo wrong in knowing it now?

I dont know how much time it will take for me to progress... but its not that i am in a hurry i just want to know...

cj helped
    he offered the kinda help i wanted....

I'm not asking how i can become better as fast as possible...but just what kinda guys i will encounter.....while training...

its just to know what the difference will be between us....

I will discover it with or withour your help....

but maybe some are willing to help me a bit

10. David Field

David Field New Member

gradings

hi

The reason its so difficult to explain the requirements for each grade is that different instuctors use different guides or syllabus's.

The grades are generally

9th Kyu -1st Kyu Green Belt
    Shodan - Blackbelt 1st Dan
    Nidan - Blackbelt 2nd Dan
    Sandan - Blackbelt 3rd Dan
    Yondan - Blackbelt 4th Dan
    Godan - Blackbelt 5th Dan

and so on untill 10th Dan where its split into 5 levels making fifteen Dan(levels) in total.

The TenChiJin (heaven earth scrolls) are used by many as a grading guide for grades up to 4th Dan. Hatsumi Soke gives (normally) 5th Dan Godan, the rest are normally awarded by recomendations by other High ranking instructors to Shihans, Hatsumi Soke etc.

Sometimes time is a grade, sometimes technical etc.

But remember its the grading syllabus at the Dojo 'your' at is the one you'll be graded against.

I hesitate to post techniques but any further questions just PM or (all together- ASK YOUR INSTRUCTOR!)

11. kharandhil

kharandhil New Member

thanks I've got it now....what i wanted to know....I'll work hard to get as good as i can possibly be....

time will tell how i will progress....

12. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

David has it pretty spot on. The best way to find out the requirements for rank are to ask your instructor. Each dojo/instructor will have their own requirements for attaining rank. The Tenchijin is used as a basis for reaching Shodan (Beginner's Level), but is not broken down into Kyu rankings. My teacher and yours may base grading on their own experience or curriculum.

Ask your teacher.
    And leave your attitude at home. People here are trying to help you, just because you aren't getting the answers you want is no reason to get in a snit.

13. kharandhil

kharandhil New Member

duh i know i'll only learn the ranking sytem om my dojo by asking my sensei
    bukwa baka ya nai...

but i just find it hatefull to get useless information....I talked about helping me with just suming up the sytem notihng more...i know ofcourse that i won't ever know how much time it will get to get better i dont care about that seriously i'll just enjoy training....but the ranking system is still good to know....

i asked for the ranking system and my answer was answered....

i was just seeking for a way ...

lets just say I'm travellign from brussels to tokyo...

i've got many ways of getting there and the time i'll spend getting there is unknown...it just depends on luck and other things...
    i don't know if i'll ever get there but it still is good to know...how other people traveled like i'm going to do....

this topic has no use anymore....i have my answers....

14. David Field

David Field New Member

ps..time

PS.... as for time

meant to add the time to Shodan can vary as much as the individual syllabus's.

The quickest i've known is 18months.

The average is about four years.

some up to six years

but its all relative to what you learn.

Just enjoy and as your example of the trip to Tokyo just think as the grades as signposts.

Enjoy

15. Banpen Fugyo

You DO realize that sentence is no where near correct, right?

16. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

The school I study at is a bit more 'americanized' with the ranking system. We've got lotz of belt colors.

It goes like this:

No Belt for about 2 months, depending on your progress
    White Belt for about 11 weeks, depending on your progress
    Yellow Belt for about 24 weeks depending on your progress
    then so on to Green Belt, Blue Belt, Purple Belt, Brown Belt, Black Belt. It usually takes about 5 years to achieve Black Belt, but often takes much longer.

17. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

17 years to get my black belt and i still dont deserve it!! :confused:

18. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

17 years? Wow, you went too fast. Took me 21 years to reach shodan and I still don't think I deserve it. I think my teacher just took pity on me.

19. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Thats what i thought!! :D

Who cares, i had loads of notes before and the same amount of notes now, the black belt is just a bonus, its the info i want!!

20. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

He he, there's a lot of people in my school that have taken over 10 years, but once they hit 15 years they usually quit... I'm not sure if anyone in my school stuck with it that long without reaching Shodan... Glad you guys stuck with it, and it payed off for you, and don't say black belt doesn't mean anything. Now people call you 'Sensei' and you can make them do push ups :D