Gum shield whilst grappling?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Freeform, Feb 28, 2005.

?

Do you wear a gum shield whilst grappling?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Do you wear a gum shield whilst grappling?

And why? (Or why not?)

:)

Col

2. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

No I don't, but I'm considering it. On the one hand, I think it would be good when you get knocks to the head or face to absorb some of the impact. On the other hand, I find them a bit suffocating when someone has you pinned with your face into their chest. Can't decide at the moment. :)

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Only if strikes are allowed.

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

No, but I'm for the dentist for a couple extractions tomorrow, so I'll mention it to him when Im there, cos none of those generic ones ever fitted me properly. And Im getting back into rugby, so that'll help! :D

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

We have a great mouth guard here in the states, its called "Shock Doctor". They have a variety of styles. Check into them or look them up on the net. Maybe we could get some for you grappler guys overseas if you can't get them there. I'd be willing.

6. samharber

samharber New Member

Getting face barred, or having someone weigh 250lbs crushing your face make me wish I'd put my gumshield in. I remember it most days now...
    ---------------
    edit - I use a cheap single. Its easy to breath with and was simple to fit.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

the shock doc is a very nice guard, i don't usually wear a shield, but if i do its a shock doc.

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Those Shock Doctor ones look pretty good. Nice & cheap too.
    I've been thinking about wearing my gumshield when grappling purely due to the amount of accidental faceplants I keep taking, but I don't wear one at the moment

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  9. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

If you do wear one, is it a single/double? Why do you pick that particular one?

10. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Yes, you can get ShockDoctor mouthguards in the UK. They're great.

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I'm the same; for the past few weeks ive been considering wearing mine for grappling. I can't count the ammount of times ive had a knee or elbow dropped onto my face. Only a matter of time before my teeth take the punishment.

12. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Only when GNP is included and even then I tend not to most of the time - bad boy!

13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

There are a variety of schock doctors available, even one for people who wear braces. They come in single or double teeth guard, with or w/o lanyards (for american football players) and youth and adult sizes. They also come with dental insurance depending on which one you buy. I thought they were kind of pricy ranging from US$10 to US $24.00 where I shop. Plus, you don't have to boil them to make them soft to fit.

14. Tyrant MMA

Tyrant MMA New Member

hell yeah, I don't enjoy having people crush my teeth

15. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

I started wearing one after I got headbutted in the chin (causing me to bite my tongue, and since I have braces it made my gums start bleeding...) but when I started wrestling I stopped wearing them again. It's nice to be able to breathe easier.

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I always end up biting the inside of my cheek. My jaw will get knocked, resulting in me biting a chunk out of the inside of my cheek. - then for the next few days, I end up tounging the shreds which are hanging off.

I've tried the full 2 mouth peice, but they seriously restrict breathing, so I find the singular ones much easier to work with.

17. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Funny as I bit the inside of my cheek and the side of my tounge the other week rolling.

Hurt like hell I can tell ya, hard to speak and eat as well

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol yeah :D It sting like crazy when it came to brushing my teeth at night, the mint would get into the wound and hurt like hell! :)

19. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

I like to wear my gumsheild whenever I train, such as pad drills, running, skipping etc.

I have only started wearing a gum sheild when grapping after I had a 17.5 stone (245lbs) guy roll on my head. I felt my molar teeth gnash agaisnt each other. :cry:

20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

After training at the Matt Thornton seminar in Glasgow yesterday (which was great by the way! :D ), I think I'm gonna start wearing a gum shield :)