Slow lifting makes you slow, or not?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JKD_forever, Feb 27, 2005.

1. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

In his book "Power to people" Pavel suggest doing slow lifting and lowering with weights. Of course, this means more recruitments of neurons and thus strength gains.
    But is it actually recommended? I mean, isn't that going to slow you down eventually? I always thought lift as fast as you can; lower in the range of 1-2 sec.
    What about DLs? You can’t just "jerk" monster amount of weight, you have to do it slowly, but then where is the part in DL when you perform fast action (don’t tell me when you drop :D ) ? Or does it even matter? :rolleyes:

2. Mobsta

Mobsta New Member

i see a lot of powerlifters working on speed but of course its less weight with dl,, a clean and jerk would be done fast, couldnt imagine lifting it slow,, i like to focus on the negative part and explode on the positive...to me it dont matter..

3. MattN

MattN Valued Member

I think that the amount of weight and just "trying" to make it fast (a big weight in ANY lift'll prolly make you slow)

Deadlift, I'd just TRY to lift it fast, not saying it'll actually happen, but you can try

4. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

dont do slow lowering in DLs.. so useless. It can cause injuries and lead to no strength gains.

5. MattN

MattN Valued Member

I'm sure it could lead to injuries if your form messes up, but i think you can make strength gains from it, being that the negative portion from other exercises provides a lot of gains (im not sure if thats the right word, but i just woke up so its stayin)

6. Forest Bill

Forest Bill New Member

Lift fast if you want to be fast, lift slow if you want to be slow.

7. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

If you lifted a really heavy weight slowly, but you were trying to go fast, would that be the same as lifting fast?

8. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

You want to have forceful punches I assume. So do forceful lifts. Your muscles have "memory" so if you do slow lifts they are going to remember the slow movements. Do forceful lifts and they'll remember the forceful movement.

Also remember that there are two different types of strength. endurance(think high reps low weight) and forceful(think low reps high weight.)

9. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

I'm not entirely sure what is classified as a "forceful" lift. I was under the impression that lifting something as fast as you can, regardless of how slow that may be, would be using fast twitch fibers.

10. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

When I do a heavy lift I can't do it fast, but I do it forcefully. That's how type2 a & b fibers are developed.

That's why I didn't us the word "fast." You can lift light weights fast, but you won't get the same amount of force.

11. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

Ok...we're in agreement then...I think...

12. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

yeah I think so too. :)

13. Forest Bill

Forest Bill New Member

You can use the same amount of force to lift a lighter weight as you do a heavier weight by lifting it faster.

14. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

Not true.

Serous Strength Training:

If the load imposed on a muscle is extremely heavy, then all or almost all of the motor units will be recruited, resulting in a maximal force output. If the load is light, only a small number of motor units are recruited and the strength of the contraction is low (Wilmore and Costill 1999).

15. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

...But the strength of the contraction increases when you lift it faster, so I think Bill's right about that.

16. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

I think it's the opposite. I think that you lift it faster because your contraction is stronger due to the heavey load, other-wise you are mainly doing cardio.

17. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Tell that to westside barbell :D

18. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

I would but I don't know who that is.

19. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Actually, you can train maximal lifting by lifting explosively at a 45-60% of 1RM or lifting ballistically at a 20-30% 1RM, not just by lifting maximal loads. And the motor units "work in shifts." Muscle fibers fatigue when subjected to continual stimulation. If all were recruited then you would fatigue quickly and might collapse. To prevent this, other motor untis take over while the fatigued ones rest, and the muscle as a whole can sustain long-term contraction.--Saladin

Adam, care to jump in on the technical aspect? It's no fair bringing Westside into this...they're practically not human :D

20. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

here