Studying Taekwondo in Korea!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by MDN, Feb 26, 2005.

1. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

Studying Taekwondo in Korea! This is something that I really want to do. If anyone has done this before, I would definitly love to hear stories/advice/opinions/ect...

2. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11941

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12667

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10143

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=19895&highlight=Taekwondo

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=27382&highlight=Taekwondo

After you got through these, do a more in-depth search. If you've still more questions, ask away...

Cheers,

DH

3. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

i cant be bothered to check all those threads, but visit www.taekwondobible.com as the guy on it tells you how to organise it all!!!!!!!

4. Yang Dae-han

I can't be bothered to roam about that web-site...which page in that web-site explains, in detail, about how a non-Korean may train/practice TKD in Korea?

Questions that need answering are (on the most basic of levels):

visa status - (length of stay permittable)
    housing
    employment (depending on visa status)
    education and/or training (again, depending on visa)
    types of gyms, clubs, organisations, schools
    language barrier(s)
    quality of training (respective on the prospective student's level)
    acceptance
    age of prospective student related to plausibility of training

I did a cursory look-see and I didn't (easily) find it information that could answer such vital issues.

Cheers,

DH

5. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Could not find anything about training in Korea on the TKDbible. Are you sure there is something on there.

6. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I know for certain that you could PM Thomas. He always has good stories , is well written, and seems like the type of person that would be willing to do a Q&A with you. G'luck.

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

I wanted to post the same thing :)

yes, you should ask Thomas, because he trained in Korea. We have already discussed this, so please do a SEARCH and you'll find his posts.

8. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

the website has really changed since last time i went on it. but the guy said at some point he would be happy to arrange everything for someone to travel to korea, so you could always email him!

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

[ears perked up]Take a look at my threads and let me know if you have any other questions... I'd be happy to answer what I can. Also, Yang Dae-han knows a LOT about training in Korea and is probably more current with the legal aspects than I am.[/ears perked up]

10. Yang Dae-han

Danke.

Actually, I am trying to get visas for my high school and college kids to go with me to Korea this summer for 2 months of trainings. If all goes well, I'll post what needs to be done.

Then again, it's much easier to go with people who know where and how things work, than by oneself for the first time.

Cheers,

DH

11. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

For any ITF type people there is also ITF TKD in South Korea (beleive it or not)...

For more information contact:

B1 Gyoungsung Sangga #1418 Galma 2-dong Seo-gu Daejeon City 302-172
    Tel: 0082 42 526 1231 ~ Fax: 0082 42 526 1232

12. Yang Dae-han

Yes, and I know a few masters of ITF TKD and ATA TKD. If you want me to contact them....actually, I demo-ed ITF forms for a Kukkiwon show...

But, you see, the problem does not lie in the ability to find a school that teaches your style, but rather one that teaches your style in a way that you:

Can comprehend what is going on (language)
    Fit the age group
    Fit the level/quality
    Fit your expectations

as well as be able to cater to a SLEW of issues a tourist-trainer would need catering to (again, time on the master's...or one in the circle of friendship... schedule to adhere to such needs).

Not to mention knowing where you can find room and board and ALL issues that pertain to travelling to lands where you understand 0% of the language and/or customs-culture...and no, knowing TKD does not mean you'll understand Korean culture.

If you do not have sufficient Korean ability OR a guide that speaks a language you are proficient in...your holiday experience MAY be severely handicapped.

Cheers,

DH

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  13. Thomas

Great post and great advice!

14. Still Waters

Still Waters New Member

I agree with Dae-Han and Thomas. As foreigner currently living in Korea their comments match my own experience.

I'll use my own experience here in Daejeon (a fairly large city in Korea) as an example.

One qualifier though. I started learning taekwondo after I came to Korea, I don't know how the difficulty/intensity differs from that in other countries.
    My guess is the intensity is in general a lot lower from what I have heard from other people, probably because it is mainly kids that are being taught.

I know of 1 definite program that caters to foreigners in my part of town. Unfortunately the class time clashes with my work schedule.

So most of the time my classes have been almost purely in Korean.

Most of the classes available are focussed on kids. At the really huge school I went to (about 250 students) there was one mixed adult/kids class at night and a mother's class during the day.

When I attended the mothers' class was the only time I was only with other adults. The mother's were pretty amazed that I could cope so well in the classes, mainly because I speak so little Korean.

As most schools are busy full time operations there will probably be very little scope for private or extra lessons in the school's schedule.

At the taekwondo school I'm at at the moment I'm very lucky. Recently a couple of high-schoolers started so there is now an older class including me and three high school boys. Also, when I pass my second dan test my instructor told me he will start to teach me the ITF forms. Just in case there are only ITF schools in Australia (his thoughts not mine).

Visa's become an issue depending on how long you plan to stay.

http://www.moj.go.kr/immi/08_english/04_data/terms_01_f.html, describes in detail about visas. You would probably want a C-3, D-1 or D-2 visa, if you are coming for a study tour.

15. Yang Dae-han

Still Waters,

First off, good on ya for practising TKD whilst in Korea. Maybe I will be able to watch you test for your 2nd dan..when do you plan to test?

As for the visas you mentioned...although a prospective student would be studying, the Korean MOJ do not consider students of TKD eligible for student visas...or for cultural/arts studies/training....so it's back to the tourist visa.

As I mentioned, I am in the process of obtaining visas for my group (multi-national)...proving bugger hard.

As for learning ITF forms after earning your 2nd dan...why wait? I learned, as a part of my curriculum, ITF and WTF (old and new) forms. I tried to get other KTF masters to start teaching ITF forms...but alas, only a few masters actually came to my school and learned them.

If anybody actually went through the links that I posted (especially those located on the Dave's ESL Cafe board), they'll see that I wrote in detail about issues that you have mentioned, and TKD in other realms of learning possibilities.

Maybe I oughtta cut and paste everything and make a 'sticky' of it?

Cheers,

DH

16. Still Waters

Still Waters New Member

I plan to test on Sunday morning, in Daejeon.

Why wait to start learning ITF forms, you ask...
    Well, I only just recently moved to the dojang I am at now, and the teaching style and additional curricula is a little bit different, so I have had to aquaint myself with the new school's material and get used to the slightly different style of classes. (They do alot more self-defence and falling among other things than my old school)

Samantha

17. Thomas

Anyway to make this a "sticky" perhaps... great info about a common question (or an inspiration for TKDists to travel!) :D

18. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

I would definitely love to do some special practice in Korea someday, either in the Kukkiwon, in the mountains, or elsewhere.
    As far as finding a regular school and training there, not really interested. As my Korean-born Instructor told us once: just like in America, 95-99% of the Tae Kwon Do is crap. You'd either have to look really hard or have special connections to find a school worth going to. Going to an average or subpar Korean school just practice? I can practice on my own thanks. rain with a bunch of kids? I love kids, but have no desire to train with them. Ditto for a "Moms Class".
    If the day ever did come when I could go to Korea to practice, I would ask my Instructor as to what schools he would recommend. He could conceivably give me a short list of Instructors he knows whose classes are worth going to.
    Or he might say "Practice on your own."
    Problem is, people have this misconception that practicing in Korea is inherently better than practicing outside Korea, and it's not. Unless you have access to the top instructors with knowledge of what's really going on, practice is practice regardless of where you do it.
    Would like to meet Mr. Uhm though.

19. Thomas

Looking at it from a purely physical (or technical) point of view, I would completely agree. There are lots of crappy schools everywhere, and lots in Korea. There are also good schools everywhere, and in Korea. So why go to Korea to train?

1. Travel and adventure - it's cheap, fun and easy to get around.

2. Opportunity to try out many schools - every town has many TKD schools (and some HKD ones), the cheaper costs plus ease of public transportantion will allow you to sample a lot of different schools and different practitioners if you want.

3. Actually experience the culture that surrounds TKD and see it from a Korean point of view. Try out the food, walk around the local markets, do your poomsae on top of Udal Mountain... that will inspire you and breath fresh air into your training.

4. Try out the language and learn how to actually write and pronounce Korean words... there are a lot of people who can't, but a short time in Korea will fix that!

Regardless of whether you find a good school or not in Korea, getting to experience Korean language,food,culture, and ettiquette in "real life" while surrounded by Korea and Koreans is a wonderful way to broaden your understanding of the art and where it comes from. To me anyways, the art is more than "just" the physical... it's the underlying culture and philosphy that I like as well.

20. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Husband *may* be going to Korea for work...

I couldn't believe it when he told me. He looked at me and said (very nonchalantly): "I may have to go to Korea in the near future" and then he FROWNED...like it was a BAD thing! I very excitedly and loudly replied: "OH MY WORD, NO WAY, EXCUSE ME WHILE I WIPE THE DROOL OFF MY PILLOW" !!!

Then he said it's not about TKD :bang: YES...but it COULD be!!! Ack! I am so going to find a way to go with him!! Okay, so that's really rash but oh man do I want to go :love: !

Maybe some of you "been to Korea...done that" people are thinking well, yeah, go to Korea...of course...but this would be insanely HUGE for me (I live in Michigan and have never so much as been to CANADA!).

He had no idea why I thought it was a big deal. I really don't even know where he'd be going in Korea but getting there is a ginormous step in the right direction.

I'm not even sure what is compelling me so strongly to go I guess. I just want to see it for myself...experience it. I feel tied to TKD and to Korea...kind of like I belong. Yet I know so very little about both!

Anyway, it would be a fantastic adventure! Although he may not "have" to go :rolleyes: , it's an exciting prospect and I wanted to share.

Since I'm on the topic and didn't really post anything constructive: for those who've been to Korea...

What impacted you the most on your trip?
    Was it what you had expected?
    Why did you go?
    Would you go back if you could?
    Why?

Anything you want to add in addition to the answers to my questions would be great!

Thanks!

Kelly