Article on Balance

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Coges, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Coges

Coges Valued Member

In searching this site I found many questions on how to increase your balance (not sure if that is the right phrase, but anyway). I came across this article and thought some of you might be interested.

http://www.gambetta.com/noticia.php?id=2&SesID=bf4b25a34c1c7b102a7ef9f43fcadb72

I think this is truly relevant in the martial arts as so much of our training is based on balance and as the article says that much of our troubles with power, speed and flexiility can be attributed to poor balance.

2. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Fairly good article. I say balance is probably one of the most important things a MAist should posses. I find not enough practicioners train their balance. I for one, devolped incredible balance from skateboarding.

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

HeHe...so many fighters with so little balance. Sad fact.
    I've seen soo many street fights (half my income is via selling underground fighting footage to DVD companies in LA. ie: Bumfights etc...) so I see alot of them.
    Almost EVERY fight I see is lost either by the fighter simply having NO technique or having poor balance.
    I can certainly agree balance is a major part of what we do.
    Nice article Romulus.

4. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

As part of our class each of the advanced students is supposed to come up with a class to teach that has different material than normal. One of our students just did a class specializing in different balance training exercises. I have to say, that I thought my balance was improving, but after that class I realized how much better I can get. I'm going to add the exercises from the article Romulus just posted to my routine too. Thanks for posting that!

5. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Nice article :D well that's boosted my knowledge on balance.
    I always knew balance was the most important thing but not to that much detail.
    thanks again

6. sayian

sayian New Member

wow , extremely interesting, thank for posting, Gosh, didn't seem to think balancing really matter.. I sure do have a long way to go then ;\

7. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

KSW Paul: can you post some of the exercises you did in that class here? I'd be interested. thank you

8. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Yes same here Paul.

9. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I think kung fu offers excellent balance, especially Southern Styles, because a large part of our attack relies on rooting and sinking.

10. Wu Wei

Wu Wei New Member

Great article, I recently started working heavily on balance training, so that was a real help. Thanks!

BTW: KSW Paul, in addition to Ren-shi-shin, I would also love to hear additional excercises, please post them.

- Wu Wei

11. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

i took a yoga class for my college art credits. my balance has increase 100 fold lol. it helps you balance, know your body alignment, breathe properly and increase flexibility.

12. spqrrowhawk

spqrrowhawk New Member

I know what class Paul was talking about (I train with him).

The excersises are a little hard to explain but i will try to for a few...

One leg toe Touch
    Stand with one knee cocked (a crane stance) for a count of 10
    Lean foward and touch your toes with one hand while sitcking the other leg back and hold for another cound of 10
    go back to crane stance and hold for a count of ten
    repeat

Balance-Body Weaving
    Stand Straight, feet together, elbows bent, hands under the chin
    Bend your torso down to the left, so that it is parallel to the floor
    rotate the torso to the front and then the right
    staighten and repeat

One Leg balance
    Stand on one leg knee bent arms out to the sides
    tilt your body to the left side as far as you can
    tilt to the right
    return to standing
    repeat

These are just a few of the things we did. I started doing the one leg toe touch ~three times a week and it has done wonders for my balance. As I understand it all of these drills came for the book Training and Fighting Skills by World Champion Benny "The Jet" Urquidez and i suggest you check it out for a more detailed discription.

13. doublekey

doublekey New Member

Thanks, very informative article.

14. Chris Umbs

Chris Umbs New Member

15. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

since we are all martial artists here, i'd like to know if there are balance exercises specific for martial arts or they're something all sports have in common?