steve babbs

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Haduken, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

whatever happened to steve babbs... anyone know?

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Did a Google search under his name - found this:

I knew Steve Babbs very well. He was my instructor from 1975 to 1977. At the time he was light heavyweight full contact champion. Just about everyone in the club used to follow him to tournaments around the UK. I only ever saw him get beat once and it was a semi contact Kung Fu tournament at Pickets Lock in East Ham. In the final he was fighting Frank Lynch, who was Heavyweight and a good friend of Steve. Frank bit his lip to make out Steve had used Excessive contact, Steve got disqualified, and Frank won the trophy. Steve later said Frank always dose that he bites his lip to get me disqualified. I have not seen him since 1977, I have tried internet searches a few times and he was so good I can’t believe that there is so little information on him, but I have just found this link to what seems to be a tournament he took part in. http://www.vma-international.com/secure.html the video is called Clash of the titans 2. It is strange seeing this post as it is only three days ago that I met one of my old teammates and enquired if he had heard or seen anything from him. He said he seems to have disappeared of the face of the earth, and the last he heard he fought some American and won the world title. I used to have quite a lot of pictures but sadly can only find a couple of poor quality images now, it would be nice to see him again.
    Stan Snowball. Hartlepool.

Please do the same for further information :)

3. northernant

northernant New Member

Hello!

Stan, I am Tony Smith and I believe you may have trained with my Dad in Lau Gar 'back in the day' with Steve Babbs, etc... My Dad's name is Mick Smith. I'm trying to keep up the family trend and currently practice JKD Concepts.

I saw this post and brought it to his attention and he asked me to reply... I know this post was left quite a while ago but if you still use this site he would like to hear from you.

Cheers,

Tony

4. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

I dont know if it"s the same guy but I used to train with a Steve Babbs in the early eighties in KF/KB @ Swansea leisure centre.

5. Stevebabbs

Stevebabbs New Member

Writing this blog Steve who is a very good friend is probably looking over my shoulder - we are researching and trying to locate some footage - old pictures, tales etc with the intention of writing Steves' autobiography which will divulge everything from Barbados beaches to Army life in the Uk, Lau Gar, the fights and the latter years - if you have any info please contact me - Phil - we see each other several times a week and will be having a pint this weekend - Steve is alive and kicking!! - not so much **** these days!! but if you know and respect Steve - the way most of his competitors did - you won't have found a worse opponent in the ring or better friend outside - a true gentleman!!

6. thejarv

thejarv New Member

Hi, just thought about a tournament in the Midlands, there was Steve Babbs and Frank Lynch talking to one of their team mates, on his uniform was the name Beefy. Who passed away later that year may he Rest In Peace. He was really tall, well over 6ft and someone wanted Steve and Frank to do flying side kick from both sides to his head to take a picture. And with minimum amount of effort both were way above his head. I can’t remember the gentlemen’s name? Was it Jeff or Ian? My apologise if I got the name wrong. Now there’s a photo I’d like to see. Cheers for now, thejarv

7. Swanseaguy

Swanseaguy New Member

Sorry to report the death of Steve passed away last night in Swansea.

Had been waiting a kidney operation.

RIP Steve.

8. thejarv

thejarv New Member

Rest in Peace Steve Babbs
    It was a real privilege to know and train with him, what a Legend

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I heard via Alfie Lewis this morning....very sad news indeed

RIP Steve Babbs

10. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Steve sadly passed away.

THOUSANDS of martial arts experts, family and friends are set to descend on Swansea to celebrate the life of 'The Legend' Steve Babbs.

Steve (Stephen Sandiford), who friends say was rated one of the best, all-round martial artist of all time, died aged 63 on April 27.

Read more: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.c...tory-29268712-detail/story.html#ixzz49Ex4tpgL
    Follow us: @SWEveningPost on Twitter | SWEveningPost on Facebook