Might be taking up Arnis

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by CobraMaximus, Feb 1, 2005.

1. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

In maybe a week or two I am starting an Arnis class BUT can anyone tell me naything about the art.

I know it is a stick art and what a lot of the syllabus is but can anyone tell me in more detail about it, how far you get at 1 class a week, the costs (do you have to buy armour or sticks etc.) and also if there is a grading structure and so on. General info basically

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

The FMA is a very varied thing, it's a stick art yes, but it is much more than that, you learn stick as your basiscs, then your progress to other weapons as you feel more comfortable and without knowing it you learn the empty hand skills, it is also a blade art but more importantly it is a combat art. Is there a grading structure? again this depends which school you go to, and each shool will have it's own structure but generally in todays modern society most schools have some kind of grading structure.

The old way of training in FMA were more simpler, you followed 3 grades.

1. Your trained and fought in FMA
    2. You taught and fought FMA
    3. You knew nothing about FMA

But in order to help keep the art alive and promote it to the public many groups have adopted the grading structure so in general yes most styles or group will have some kind of syllabus they follow, but all groups worth there metal will expect you to be able to spar it and use it as a practical MA system. your best bet is to go along and try a class to see if it is suited to you and it is what you wish to do. If you have to sign a contract to take lessons then I would suggest you just walk away for you have just walked into a McDojo that uses FMA as an add on to attract more unknowing students into their money making scam.

But if you find a good school then I will take a bet that you will be hooked, but I am after all biased.

Two question's:

1. Where do you live?
    2. Which school are you looking to train with?

Just asked as maybe our FMA MAP members can give you some advise

I hope this helps

Best regards

Pat

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

it's pretty nice. what style/ system are you looking at?

i'm sorry. it's not just a stick art. it has knives, empty hands, and flexible weapons as well.

depends on your teacher. depends on you.

depends on your style/ system. old school is that you only buy 2 pairs of sticks (rattan + kamagong) and a decent wooden knife (bahi or kamagong). as for protective gear, old school systems have none. since old school is kind of too hard core for some, equipment requierments for sparring look like this:

sparring kits:

wekaf helmet (roughly Php2,500 or us$45.00)
    wekaf body armor
    wekaf light padded sticks (around Php250 a pair or us$5.00)

or

dog brothers style:
    fencing helmet (preferably saber training mask) around us$80
    hockey gloves (somewhere between us$40 - 80)
    rattan sticks (a pair is roughly Php200 or us$4.00)

[qoute]and also if there is a grading structure [/quote]

depends on the system. some systems go through belts like a regular karate class. some systems are like bjj. some systems (especially old school) have only this structure: teacher, student.

yoda and pat can give you a better view of the prices in the uk.

ps. you can contact either pat or yoda to get you equipment.

4. CobraMaximus

I know it differs from school to school was just askin in general.

Im Going to a Rapid Arnis class in Gorgie Dalry Edinburgh if anyone has seen this place.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Oooooh I think someone here MAY have seen it :D

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

See you tonight then :D

Paul's going to be covering some empty hand applications tonight! :D

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Nya nya told you so....... :D

8. Freeform

Cobra, The Instructor at Gorgie is Paul Smith, an Instructor under MAPs own Pat O'Malley!

You're in good hands! :D

He did, didn't he! :D

9. CobraMaximus

Won't be htere tonight. Playing tennis and stuf.
    Im startin maybe in a week or two, just into the mid-term break at school. How much do lessons cost and stuff could you please tell me because that is what will sway it.

10. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Instead of paying for tennis and stuff just go and do it, under Pat's umbrella I am sure it will be worth every penny what ever the cost.

11. CobraMaximus

Well I cant exactly anyway. Need a day to pipedown after many exams. Have no fear though, I didn't pay for the tennis and it was good. Havent played for a while. I just dont have the energy left though to go tonight. Jogged approx 2 miles this morning uphill and then sprinting round a tenis court for 2 hours in the afternoon. I am too tired lol.

Now back on track, what is the cost(s) and what do I need to buy

12. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

No better way to pipedown that to bash someone with a big stick I would say:D .

Anyway when you get there tell Paul I beat him in the beer contest last weekend;)

Paul is an excellent teacher you are in safe hands their, I would say he is one of the best in your area, he's pretty good at Wing Chun too:cool:

Hope you enjoy the classes.

Regards

Pat

13. CobraMaximus

Can anyone put me out of my misery and just tell me the cost lol :D

14. Freeform

15. CobraMaximus

I can only go to the Arnis class or KB one. Thing is I have Cadets on Monday/Thursday and i cant really miss it.