Ong Bak: Muay Thai Warrior

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by akira2000, Nov 8, 2004.

1. akira2000

akira2000 Valued Member

ong bak

Wow, this movie has the best effects I ever seen :D

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

3. Cain

Cain New Member

The movie rocks, the fights rock and there's enough threads of this movie :D

|Cain|

4. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

As long as I know from the making off I've seen there are NO effects (as we are used to in other "MA" films). The guy did his own stunts, no ropes no cheatting. Awesome movies :cool:

5. Judecca

Judecca New Member

The chase through the backalleys are just... insane. If I could do even one of things that man does, I would consider myself officially l33t.

6. I-BOD

I-BOD New Member

His moves in the backalleys are like 'jackie chans' but way more impressive and dangerous..certainly not ur usual family comedy moves...wicked!!!
    :p:p:p

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  7. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

So, who's going to watch this??? I now I will!!!!! :D

It's coming out on Feb. 11th here in America. Not sure about the rest of the world.

8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I just saw the previews and didn't realize there was so much jumping/spinning/flipping and such in Thai martial arts styles... the previews made it look like a Hong Kong movie. Anyone know what styles they use in the movie and if it's all wire work and such?

9. geves

geves Valued Member

No wire work (thank god) No graphics (double thank god) and muay thai. they used the first two to promote the pooh out of this movie (like it's the first movie to ever do it). It is a really good movie, but a word of advice: don't listen to the hype....it's a really really good movie, but there is waayyy too much hype surronding this movie for it to ever do the hype justice.
    watch it as you would any other kung fu movie... and you will be very happy. ;)

it sucks IMO they got a rapper to help promote this movie... :bang:

10. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

What rapper? Didn't this movie come out a long time ago. I watched it last year.

11. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

ong Bak: Muay Thai Warrior.

It says it in the freaking title maaaaaaan! :D ;) j/k

12. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Personally, I didn't think it was very good. Just like some old Karate movie with Muay Thai instead.

13. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Threads merged

14. geves

geves Valued Member

oh ok...lol i was wondering what was going on :D

one of those wu-tang goons. Rza i thinks... it was an incredibly annoying commercial.

it did come out already, i liked it. but it's hitting US theaters soon...i didn't catch the release date

EDIT: well more depressing news :cry:

hollywood is apparently ruining the movie, they're cutting and removing scenes (specificly two limb breaking scenes and more)...they're changing the ending (to make it happier)

i hate hollywood :woo:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  15. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

If you liked Ong Bak, then you may be interested in other Thai Martial Movies such as Bang Rajan, Suriyothai, they're not as Frenetic as Ong Bak and deal with aspects of Thai History.

Also movies like Nang Nak (Dead Curse), which is a ghost type film. Some really good stuff coming out of the Thai film industry now.

16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

When I saw the previews, they showed lots of jumping kicks, spinning kicks, running up walls and back flips... all techniques that I do not normally associate with my impression of Muay Thai. Hence my question... it wouldn't be the first time a movie centered around a specific art or culture and used practioners of different art... maaaaaaaan :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  17. CX Imran

CX Imran Valued Member

I've seen Ong Bak actually (own it on DVD), and it's a great MA film, Tony Jaa (the lead actor) seems to be a rising star in the MA world.

18. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Most of the techniques are Muay Boran (various)/ Ling Lom techniques, Thomas. The jumping stuff are often refered to as the 'Hanuman' techniques, named after the Monkey king of the Hindu and then Buddhist epic.

Not all Hanuman techniques are jumping techniques but some of them represent some of the more acrobatic techniques in the Muay catalogue.

In 'Ong Bak' Tony Jaa's character often names the techniques as he throws them, example a few times in the movie he shouts 'Bata Loop Pak' ('Foot touches face') (Various spellings)for a swinging kick either straight up through the guard or more commonly like a 'Crescent kick' usually from outside the guard to in. he also does this for other techniques during the movie.

Or 'Charoke Fad HAng' (Various spellings) (Crocodile swings tail) which is a spinning back heel kick.

Good Stuff eh?

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

LOVED Ong Bak. Bought a faulty copy of Bang Rajan. Enjoyed Suriyothai. Garuda is okay too. (Think Godzilla but with a Hindu god as the villain.)

20. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

There isnt even previews for it yet here in Ontario, but I read about it in the last issue of Budo magazine :cool: . It looks great, and btw geves, you're right that they shouldn't use a rapper to advertise a ma movie, but I train to wu-tang!