UFC Reality TV

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

http://www.theultimatefighter.tv

Premiers Monday Jan 17th.

Basic Reality TV, people wanna try UFC get contract...what-ever.

Chuck Liddel and Randy Couture are the trainers apparently.

Us Brits wont be getting it on telly, so you guys in the US have to tell us all about it and stuff.
    We'll probably get it on Bravo in about 3 years time or something.

What do you guys think?

PS I have managed to watch an ep of Swimsuit Illustrated Model search..another Reality voting thing..but with women in Bikinis for 6 weeks.:D:D

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

This will probably do two things: bring the UFC to a slightly bigger audience and help promote the fight in April between Couture and Liddell, and will add some new cannon fodder to the UFC ranks. Any word if the candidates have actually trained/ competed in MMA before?

3. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

I think the website said something about them having previous training, although I don't know if anyone of them did actual MMA training.\

I don't really like reality tv, but this might be interesting.

4. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

at least one of the partcipants has heavy mma experience. he trains out of the hardcore gym in georgia, usa. the gym is an sbgi outlet. the guy won a fight despite a broken clavicle suffered early on during a match.

5. Covaliufan

Covaliufan Valued Member

Actually, I think most if not all of them have mma experience. I went to a class taught by one of them competitors last week, Kenny Florian. He's a bjj blackbelt and fairly experienced mma competitor. He wasn't allowed to tell me how things went for him, but I'll be rooting for him when they start airing the show.

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It's just a shame we can't get this over here in the UK :(

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I'm sure a lad as resourceful as you can find a way, Yuki ;) I know I will

8. killer_kicks88

killer_kicks88 Banned Banned

if you buy the most recent issue of american health and fitness (the one with randy couture on the cover)...there is a good sized article on the ultimate fighter...all of the guys are trained...they say that they are the top unsigned MMAists in the united states...i have a great video about the show on my comp...once i figure out how to host videos...i will upload it

9. JamieD

JamieD Valued Member

I know this is going to sound that I'm an miserable old bugger but is this kind of thing good for the UFC.
    Now I know of course this is going to open it up into an even wider audience, which can only be a good thing. People who have never even thought of training in MA are interested.
    However is this glamorisation of the arts beginning to have a detrimental effect on what this is all meant to be about. After watching the UFC 40 Vendetta I finished feeling somewhat dissapointed.
    After seeing the return of the Tank, storming onto centre stage and bad mouthing the competition, I was waiting for 4 other men to run in with someone shouting "Rumble".
    Whats happened ?, wheres the humility gone. I know the sport is growing and the dramatic rise in gate takings will result in fighter getting paid what they deserve.
    Being a drama queen myself I love the intros and effects but leave the acting out, what ever happened to growing old gracefully.
    Forgive my old school affraid of change attitude, just tell me it aint all that bad.

Thanks

J

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Tank is an anachronism. He's pretty much someone that they just wheel out to get old school fans buyrates and give someone an easy win. If you watch some of the more recent events, particularly since Tito's decline, by and large, there is a lot of humility. This show has Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell as the UFC representatives, and I don't think they could've picked two better guys - aside from their being probably the most high profile competitors, they're both very laid back guys who are great ambassadors for MMA. They're both good sports that show their opponents respect but still get it done in the cage.
    I agree with you to a certain extent about the "acting;" I think it's unfortunate, but it's also a necessary evil for the UFC to grow in the US. A large portion of its fanbase has either come from WWE/ crosses over with pro wrestling and Dana White feels that they need to address that section of the audience. Sorry, that's my long-winded way of saying that it's not all that bad :)

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Tank certianally isn't the most popular fighter. Alot of the other legit professional fighters don't agree with Tanks methods, and feel he doesn't do the sport any favours in helping promote it as a safe, respectful sport.

I'd definatly have to agree with Sever on the judgement of Couture. Randy Couture looks like a normal, kind and respectful guy. - He's definatly going to help portray Mixed martial art's in the light in which it should be portrayed.

12. JamieD

JamieD Valued Member

From the limited time I have been watching and studying the UFC they have picked the right representitives.

I'm not directly picking on Tank Abbot (although I really don't like the guy), I was horrified at the pre match conference between Tito and Ken, I think someone actuallly picked up a chair!.
    I have tried to show non MA friends the recent bouts after they have watched the older stuff and they have been put off because it beginning to look like WWF/E

I know its for the greater good I just hate to see these athletes under played as some sandwich short of a picnic idiots.

Ok rant over, only time will tell I guess.
    I have ordered the most recent 3 on DVD, I will judge again after watching.

Thanks

J

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

UFC 47 was an excellent show with some truely excellent fights. Watch out for the Lawler vs Diaz fight, it's nail biting stuff lol. I was on the edge of my seat the whole fight :D

I'm not a huge fan of the way the fighters play against eachother; but I guess Zuffa feel they can help make the UFC entertaining to all (even the non MMA people), by playing the fighters up abit; give it that extra bit of tension.

14. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Im really looking forward to this one. I think it will be interesting and kinda good. Now i will most likely change my mind after the first or second show but for now im excited about it. :D

15. notquitedead

Except for Genki Sudo. He's the most respectful fighter I've seen. If MMA had more top fights with an attitude like his then it would probably have a lot better image. I wish the UFC would get rid of the pro wrestling-ish stuff.

16. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Yeah, Genki would've been great, as would Andrei Arlovski and quite a few others, but they're not as high profile and there's a language issue which would no doubt cause problems for the show
    I'd rather they got rid of the WWE trappings as well, but for the time being it looks like they're going to be a necessity until audiences get a clue as to what's actually going on in a match. Maybe this show will help with that

17. notquitedead

I just hope MMA doesn't become some huge fad that everyone wants to do, especially if it has a WWE image.

18. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

We all just have to be greatful that they haven't used such fighters as Tito Ortiz to present "The Ultimate Fighter" TV program. He'd do alot more harm than good to the way people perceive MMA.

19. notquitedead

True. Chuck and Randy aren't bad choices.

20. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

They're some of the best choices out of the UFC fighter list if you ask me :)