Healthy eating tips and hints

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frodocious, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I have noticed recently that a number of people seem to be suffering problems that may or may not be diet related and, whilst they recognise the problem exists, they are not sure how to go about remedying the situation.

Many people seem to think that healthy eating is:

a) hard work,
    b) expensive,
    c) time consuming,
    d) boring,
    e) involves taking huge amounts of supplements.

Now it can be all of the above, but it doesn't necessarily need to be. I am starting this thread so people can post their suggestions / recipes for healthy eating options. These can be for any meal of the day from breakfast to supper and include snacks and drinks e.g. smoothies. They can be for any nutritional requirement people want, whether it's high protein or whatever.

My first suggestion is for a lunchtime meal.

Instead of buying a sandwich or burger for lunch try a pulse 'salad'. It requires a little planning and preparation and the amount required is dependent on your appetite size!

Buy some tinned pulses (chick peas, lentils, cannelli beans, kidney beans, borlotti bean etc - preferably the ones without added sugar). These are not expensive - Tesco's do their value kidney beans for 10p per tin, and the other beans are around 37p per tin.

I find that 2 tins give me enough for 4 lunches. So open 2 different tins and mix them in some kind of sealable container. Split into portions, take out your portion for the next day and place it in a sealable container. Add around 0.5 of a can of tinned fish e.g. tuna, mackeral, pilchards (pilchards can be picked up really cheaply, 15p per can in Tesco). Then if you think that's too boring add some dressing of some kind - I use tamari dressing or a Thai lime and coriander one.

You can alternate the fish with tofu (I soak it in the dressing for a couple of hours before adding it to my mix), or cottage cheese (with chives if you like them - but I find that I don't need dressing if using cottage cheese). You can also add some vegetables to the mix, e.g. chop up a tomato or some celery. Take the mix into work and eat. I also take a small tub of mixed nuts / seeds (sunflower, sesame and pumpkin) with me which I sprinkle on before I eat. Preparation time is around 10 minutes on a Sunday evening and then a couple of minutes each evening.

Before I started with the above lunch I was having a white bread sandwich that never really filled me up and often when I got home, full of intention to go and do exercise, I was too hungry to do anything but make dinner. Now I don't have the same problem and am doing a lot more exercise. So even though I am eating more than I was I am losing weight.

2. Long_Distance_R

Long_Distance_R New Member

Dont Eat junk Food

Dont DO CRACK!!!!

3. Frodocious

That's not really very helpful, is it?

If you can't contribute anything helpful to a thread, please don't bother!

4. MattN

MattN Valued Member

I thought soy (tofu) or soy protein (any difference?) was evil.

5. Funky Phantom

Funky Phantom Valued Member

Just replied to another thread agreeing with you and I have to agree again on this. :D

I didn't touch any soy stuff before, but now I definitely wouldn't do so. From what I've read at places like T-nation, its best left alone...

6. Frodocious

I think it's like everything, in that if you consume it in moderation it's ok. However if you use it as a meat substitute for practically every meal, whilst consuming soya based protein supplements etc, it can be a very bad thing!

Come on people :) , someone must have a suggestion for healthy food ideas. I've seen some great threads on other forums with really useful recipes such as homemade energy bars, but these are for endurance sports such as cycling and I was hoping for some suggestions more appropriate for martial arts training

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  7. MattN

MattN Valued Member

As far as healthy stuff goes im thinkin plenty of:
    Meat
    Fruits
    Vegetables
    Oatmeal/whole grain bread
    Water

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Hi,

Get yourself some oranges and squeeze your own juice, the crap you buy in the bottle is heated up to preserve it, all the enzymes are destroyed by this process. In effect it is a dead substance with nothing good in there. Also if you can try and get some raw goats milk. The milk you buy in your supermarket is hymoganised, again destroy most of the goodness.

9. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Buy a juicer, drink some wheatgrass, eat more blueberries, have oatmeal for breakfast, make sure you get veggies at every meal. Eat good quality protein with each meal. Try and eat 6 times a day. Eat cottage cheese. Consume some fish oil tabs or caps, snacking on walnuts, pecans, and almonds. Cut up some veggies and take them with you for a snack.

Go to www.johnberardi.com for excellent nutritional advice and some quick snack/food ideas.

10. NaughtyKnight

Thanks for the site.

11. NaughtyKnight

Here is some more advice.

Go to your nearest, biggest hill. Now run up it, then jog down it, then run up it etc. Keep doing it till your so tired you think your going to die. Give your hill a name. Battle it everyday and you will find that your kicks become much more stronger and your endurance.

Also make sure you eat enough animal fat. I know everyone tells us that fat is bad and makes you die young. Well fat is needed to catalyse the absorbtion of vitamins and minerals and protein from other foods. Think about it.

12. Rick-n-dayton

Rick-n-dayton New Member

Can someone tell me why soy (tofu) products are bad? I've been eating nutrition type bars after workouts for a long time because of the amount of protien in them. Thanks

13. Splush

Splush Valued Member

Well my diet is simple but effective:

No Soda
    No snack/ little junkfood
    Limited proccessed food
    Eat until satisfied, not full
    2% milk
    lots of protien and carbs

Plus the weight room and TKD burns alot of calories. :)

14. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Can you give sources which back this up? Fats or oils are needed for some vitamins but there is no reason for them to be animal fats, you also need salt for some, and vitamin c for other minerals.

15. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Great post mate, not really much more to add! :D

Why soy is lame: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461709

16. NaughtyKnight

My sources are:

Spartan Health Regime
    The works of Dr. George V Mann
    Framingham Heart study

You are correct in saying that they dont have to be animal fat. Though alot do, most you can get from vegetable oil. Though I would avoid most vegetable oil such as Conala, soy and Sunflower oil, as they contain high levels of Trans-fats.

Trans fats are alot worse for you than Saturated. Trans-fats are fats that have a chemicaly chaned structure due to being heated. Every fat has a point to which it can tolerate heat. Once they pass this set temperature they are damaged. Here is the problem, during the extraction of most vegetable oil, they are heated way above this point.

Trans fats are found in margarine and most comercially baked goods.

So my point is that Id rather have saturated fat than trans fats, purely for the reason of not dieing before 40. However the best oil of them all, one that contains no trans fats and little saturated is Olive Oil. This is very tolerant to heat and so is safe to eat.

Hope that anwered your qestion

17. Rick-n-dayton

Rick-n-dayton New Member

Gotcha,, thats enough to make me avoid the soy for now on. Thanks

18. NaughtyKnight

Soy has been promoted as the miracle health food. Asian eats soy, that is true, but only femented soy and in small amounts.

Soy is a bean, nothing more. Soy food and Soy milk is 100% man made, and as usual such food is junk.

Soy has been advertised to increase female hormone levels, do you really want to eat something that has female hormone effects?

Here is why Soy is really bad.
    1. It contains high levels of phytic acid. These block the assimilation of minerals in the body.
    2.It leads to deficiencies in calcium and Vit D due to its mineral blocking actions.
    3. Soy inteferes with normal protein digestion in the body due to it's trypsin inhibitors.
    4. The soy Phytoestrogens disrupt your bodies endocrine functions and cause infertility. It's like taking a female birth control pill. :eek:

19. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Yeah I already use spreads that have no tranfats (its not the same as marge) Theres a range called "Pure" and also olive oil based ones (I am using one just now called Biona which is extra virgin Olive Oil, water and a small amount of Palm oil which is naturaly saturated, I think its the only common veg sat fat) Rapeseed oil is bad for transfats, other than the odd slice of wholemeal bread I avoid comercial baked goods as I dont do dairy (the odd bit of goats cheese is cool though) or refined sugars, you know glucose, sucrose, etc. Thanks for taking the time to answer me it is appreciated.

20. NaughtyKnight

Very smart on the sugar front, but dont boycott dairy however. Get some raw goats milk, very good for you.