Interesting- your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by YODA, Apr 20, 2003.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

TURNOUTS: UNORTHODOX UKEMI
    By Gerald Lafon, 5th dan - USJA Master Coach

For the last twenty years, I haven't taught my students how to do ukemi, at least not the traditional ukemi one thinks of when the word is uttered. Modernists call that form of ukemi mat bashing. If you ask many Judo people in Southern California what they think of me, the very first thing out of their mouths is "he doesn't teach his kids how to fall" as they roll their eyes and imply that I am crazy. Of course, none has ever been to my dojo to see first hand what really goes on.

In spite of all the rumors surrounding our program, Judo America San Diego thrives with over 100 members practicing three times a week without the benefit of traditional ukemi training. And for this privilege I might add, Judo America students pay $50 per month. Obviously, we must be doing something right for it would be impossible to maintain a membership such as ours if students were getting hurt because we don't teach them traditional ukemi.

DEFINITION OF UKEMI
    Literally, ukemi means, "receiving the body" so as to protect it. There is no mention whatsoever of falling onto the back in order to protect the body. Just how ukemi has come to be strictly understood as falling onto one's back is anyone's guess. Perhaps it is because teaching the masses how to fall on the back was easier than developing the skills to land safely on one's feet or fours.

Perhaps landing on one's feet was deemed the domain of the smaller, more agile man rather than that of the slumbering, big man, or of the few exceptional players instead of the average players? Regardless of why traditional ukemi is what it is today, many modern participants in Judo, especially competitors, resort to all sorts of maneuvers to prevent falling on their back. For the most part, these skills are developed without the benefit of structured class training.

HISTORY DOESN'T LIE
    From a historical perspective, there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that landing on one's feet is not as unorthodox as some would like us to believe. Long before Geof Gleeson, the eminent British Judo coach, openly questioned ukemi- and kata and uchi komi and everything else associated with traditional post World War II Japanese Judo- some Japanese Judo exerts had been doing "unorthodox" things for decades. Unfortunately for us, many of those "unorthodox" skills or methods seem to have been lost or misplaced. Specifically, the story of Shiro Saigo comes to mind.

Saigo, one of the legendary four heavenly lords of the early Kodokan years, used to hang like a possum from the beams in the dojo. There he would practice falling onto his feet, not onto his back. Fukuda sensei states in her book Born for the Mat, "As a training partner for the late Professor Kano, he [Saigo] was thrown thousands of times until he trained himself to land on his feet no matter how he was thrown." In the 20th century, Kyuzo Mifune, 10th dan, also earned a reputation for being nearly impossible to be thrown onto his back. One could elevate him into the air, but throwing him onto his back without his permission was another story. Some of the aerial contortions he went through don't seem to fit the mold of traditional ukemi or behavior patterns.

The most compelling justification for unorthodox ukemi for me was a Japanese documentary on Judo that I remember watching on French television in the mid-60's. By holding a cat upside down about three feet off the ground and letting go of the cat, a small, white haired man in his 60's or 70's demonstrated the concept of landing on one's feet rather than on one's back. The slow motion very succinctly demonstrated the cat's response to being upended and falling, and the French subtitles indicated that landing on one's feet was a goal in Judo. Since I had only been in Judo for a few months when I saw this documentary, I had no clue who this old timer was. Today, I look back and realize that I had seen none other than Mifune himself.

PURPOSE OF TURNOUTS
    Although the primary purpose of turnouts is to minimize or eliminate scores in competitive Judo, turnouts have the added benefit for all students of Judo, competitive and non-competitive alike, of accomplishing the following; o Turnouts provide another means of falling safely onto a surface.
    o Turnouts allow a player to be in a position to counterattack after being airborne.
    o Turnout training increases kinesthetic awareness.
    o Turnouts help develop an entire category of athletic abilities that traditional methods don't.

Falling Safely
    While falling or rolling onto one's back certainly has its moments, so do skills that allow you to land on your feet or fours. So whether the environment is a Judo mat or the street in a self-defense situation, being able to land safely is easier if one knows two methods of falling- the traditional as well as the unorthodox. At Judo America San Diego, we stress turnouts because the skills required to not land on your back take much longer to develop.

Nonetheless, while we don't focus on traditional ukemi or spend time "bashing the mat," all our students learn how to fall on their back as early as their first lesson when they are introduced to throws via the crash pad. The big difference in our modern approach is that falling on the back occurs during practice only as part of drill training. However, unlike turnouts, falling on the back is never consciously practiced as a separate training component.

Better Transitional Skills
    Turnouts, especially the skills that allow you to land on your feet or fours, put you in a position to counterattack immediately during the transitional phase from one throw to the next, or from a throw to a ne waza situation. For the most part, falling onto one's back limits the transitional skills available to the player who was thrown. An example of this would be the turnout from Tomoe nage or Yoko tomoe nage. The turnout from these throws is a simple, safe round off which sets up a transitional skill into Kami shiho gatame. On the other hand, once you take a traditional fall onto your back with Tomoe nage, transitional skills are minimized. (Note: This sequence of being thrown with Tomoe nage and turning out and pinning the opponent with Kami shiho gatame was pulled off in the final of the 48kg division by Valerie Lafon against Ezaki at the Pacific Rim Championships in 1991. Ezaki was a two time World silver medallist at the time and a ne waza expert.)

Kinesthetic Awareness
    In addition to having good balance while firmly planted on the ground, Judoplayers also need to develop kinesthetic awareness, which is the ability to relate to one's surroundings while airborne and upended. For the gymnast, this means being able to gyrate through the air and find the ground with a firm foot plant. For the springboard diver, this means doing summersaults, twists and tucks, finding the surface of the water and entering hands first without a splash. And for the Judoplayer, this means being able to control his body in flight without exposing his back, and landing safely on his fours or feet. The practice of turnouts will help improve kinesthetic awareness.

Athletic Development
    Practicing and developing the skills to do turnouts will make you a better athlete. In the 19th century and the early part of the 20th century, gymnastics was the foundation for all physical education programs in the western world. Like gymnastics, Judo is a whole body activity that involves balance, strength and performing many complex skills. So while learning basic gymnastics skills in order to perform turnouts, balance improves, reaction options increase, body management skills develop and explosiveness reaches a new height.

TYPES OF TURNOUTS
    The core of turnout skills is based on the ability to control the body in flight by performing gymnastic-like skills. These skills are simple enough that just about anyone can learn them. This includes the 99lb athlete as well as the 240lb athlete. The fundamental skills required to perform many of the turnout skills from throws are the: o Round off
    o Handstand
    o Elbow roll
    o Head roll

Regardless of what behavior is used to perform the turnout, turnout skills can be classified as: o Under-rotation skills
    o Over-rotation skills
    o Turn away skills
    o Turn in skills
    o Scoot-around skills

Under - and Over-Rotation Skills
    For the most part, these skills occur without the benefit of a point of contact with the ground and usually result in landing on the side of the body and infrequently face down. Typically these skills are done after forward throws and minimize scores rather than eliminate them. These skills use mostly body control to speed up (over-rotate) or slow down (under-rotate) the rotation of the body. A good example of an under-rotation skill is called the back leg turnout. This skill seeks to keep most of the back off the mat to minimize the score.

Turn Away and Turn In Skills
    These skills are done after throws that take uke towards his back, i.e. O soto gari, Ko uchi gari or Tani otoshi. As the name implies, uke turns away or into tori to prevent from being thrown squarely onto his back. These skills usually minimize scores.

Scoot-Around Skills
    These skills are the most spectacular in Judo. They almost always have a point of contact with the ground and result in landing on one's feet or fours. Scoot-around skills typically involve a round off, head roll, elbow roll or hand stand and usually result in eliminating a potential score. They are mostly done after forward throws or sutemi waza.

BUILDING AN UNORTHODOX UKEMI PROGRAM
    The foundation of any turnout program is based on the acquisition of pertinent gymnastics skills and on an improvement in overall kinesthetic awareness. Training should be geared toward learning how to do a basic round off as well as the elbow roll and the head roll, which are nothing more than a round off on the elbows or head. The level of difficulty can be increased by adding height, movement and obstacles to these basic drills. Elbow and head rolls can be learned first from the knees, then from a standing position before finally being performed over a low obstacle to mimic a body.

Other fun, pertinent drills are the hand or head stand to improve kinesthetic awareness especially when movement is thrown into the equation. Walking on one's hands or spinning around in a head stand all contribute to developing some meaningful abilities for any Judo player. Another valuable skill to learn is turning onto one's stomach when falling backwards. This mimics rear throw situations in Judo and also the traditional mae ukemi but adds some relevance to it.
    Examples of Simple Drills
    Drill 1: Player stands on head with two hands on ground for support in a tripod position. On command, player spins to the left or right without falling down. If player loses balance, he lands on fours, side or feet but not on his back.

CONCLUSION
    As a competitive coach, I must provide my players with safe training methods on the one hand and with effective training methods on the other hand. I have successfully used an unorthodox approach to ukemi for recreational as well as competitive students for over 20 years. resulting in fewer injuries than when I taught traditional ukemi for a period of six years. Dennis Mercer, the former USJI insurance agent, once stated to me that the most costly exercise in Judo when it comes to insurance claims is the forward roll or zempo kaiten over several players.

Certainly, the most costly exercise in Judo in terms of wins or losses is the yoko ukemi with arm bash, which results in a full point. I admit that traditional Judo dogma is hard to overlook. For many coaches and sensei, I can see where, for physical reasons, the thought of teaching gymnastics skills can make the heart skip a beat or two. And for the die-hard traditionalists, well, the subject just doesn't get discussed. Nonetheless, history, pedagogy and the rules of the sport of Judo all dictate that turnouts are a valuable skill. So let's make them an integral part of our curriculum. Without compromising safety, we can give our students more choices on how to fall. We can make our students better athletes and we can help them be more successful as competitors.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Interesting. Being a Judoka myself I can say that no school I've been to has ever really stressed breakfalling. And my opinion of Judo Ukemi is quite low, because people are always trying to turn out to prevent the full back landing and giving up an ippon, and in turn injuring themselves!

This is where Judo has become a sport and not an MA!

Col

3. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

The definition of ukemi given here is what we have been always practicing in the Bujinkan. Both the physical recieving and the emotional (or verbal) recieving. "Though ukemi instruction begins with the physical techniques, in fact, in it's truest sense, ukemi can be seen as a concept of protection for the mind and spirit, as well as the body." Masaaki Hatsumi
    "Ukemi accomodating can be employed as a means of handling an assailants punches, kicks, or throws even at times when you are totally unprepared for the attack. No matter what the form, if a strike moves toward you and you avoid it that is proper ukemi" Masaaki Hatsumi

These are the concepts we work on every class, some of us every day. Saved my butt a few times.

4. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I found that article absolutely fascinating, though i don't understand all of the japanese terms...i do however understand the points laid down.

5. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

My new TKD school mixes Judo with our training. And learning how to fall starts a white belt. I had the "dis-plessure" of falling without doing a breakfall, and it hurt like a b*tch! Not to mention, it knocked wind outta me. I learned to do brealfalls REALLY QUICK. I know there could be ways to do throws and not get hurt, but I think I'd rather do breakfalls ;) Just my opinion.

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Very true Laurie, otherwise you'd not be learning a 'proper' throw. Good luck with the breakfalls ;)

Col

7. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

8. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Bizzare article

I can roll out of most throws but not all - breakfalls are important as many on mats I can roll from I will not on concreate as the margin for error is higher and I need to be able to fight without the aid of a soft mat.

Still an interesting concept - I never think to roll it just happens same as the breakfall. Body just picks which one it will be not the brain.

Breakfalls are important

9. BrothersGrim

BrothersGrim New Member

Very interesting,
    I train with an ex olympic 7th Dan who visits Japan
    on a regular basis, when he teaches and explains Ukimi, its quite
    different from just landing and breaking your fall.
    In Japan this is an art form itself and often seen in demonstrations is the amazing gymnastic ability, of the Judoka
    performing Ukimi, where they dont land on there back at all, most of the time they are rolling and getting on their feet, jumping from increadable heights disapating the energy correctly and landing back in a standing posistion.
    In most (club level) Dojo's I have seen/trained Ukimi is shown by slapping the mat as yopu land on your back, now the point is this is very important part of Judo but its not the full essence of Ukimi

BroGRim

"a black belt only covers 2" of your ass, you have to cover the rest"

10. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

Interesting

I personally ensure that at each session mu Judoka run through their breakfalls. I primarily use this to make them comfortable with being thrown. If your Uki is stiff with dreaded anticipation then he will be awkward to throw during practice or kata. In competition it may hold him back from attempting certain techniques due to fear of being thrown. Just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2004
  11. redbull

redbull New Member

nding on u'r feet or face down is important and should be practised. However, u cannot land on u'r feet on all throws, especially makikomi where there is just to much body contact. This is why both methods are important.

12. Jason Simpson

Jason Simpson New Member

Excellent article, very informative. When i was younger, and fighting competitively, i used to train like crazy at landing on my feet, and at the very least my knee's. It worked amazingly, i was very difficult to throw, and beat some amazing people, and was on the verge of breaking into the british team. Then, during the Juniour nationals, i had a slight accident. During the third round, my opponent managed to get inside, and pulled of an ippon seionage, of course i was twisting to land on my feet as i'd practiced, but he slipped and came off his fee, i landed on my head, with him on top of me, and fractured my kneck. I haven't really fought at a major competition since. I guess what i'm trying to say, is that landing on your feet is great, try to make sure you don't do it via your head!