RHEE Tae Kwon Do

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by oni_sensei, Nov 30, 2004.

1. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

I know that this was posted a few months ago, but I thought I'd respond, since I made the post that triggered your responce.

In both Rhee and traditional ITF, Won-Hyo first moves into L-stance/Backstance, with the twin forearm block. Now, the ITF knifehand strike for Won-Hyo is directed half-facing (roughly 45°), whereas from what I've seen of Rhee, it is aimed towards the defender's front. Trying to strike with the rear hand to the front in an L-stance like this kills any power the technique may have, hence the use of the forward stance, to get the body facing the right direction so the hips and shoulders can rotate into the technique.

Both movements can generate the same amount of power, when performed correctly, however, they are aimed at different places, hence the change in stance.

2. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Ahhh, ok now I understand and thank you for your explaination sir :)

3. imonetwo

imonetwo New Member

Won Hyo Hyung

The first movement in this pattern starts in back stance with twin forearm block, second move is knifehand strike while remaining in backstance however the upperbody rotates to face the striking target,third movement is midsection punch executed in fixed stance. For anyone who thinks that this knifehand strike has no power,I have broken two one inch boards with this technique. The power comes from twisting the hips toward the target and moving the opposite fist to the rear shoulder simultaneously. This combination should be used in three step sparing so students can fully understand its application.This is how Master Rhee Chong Hyup taught it to me,and how I have taught it for 25 years.But you must also remember most basic movements ie Hyungs, are not taught as fighting moves,but rather movements practised to develope balance,coordination and power when executing certain combinations.

4. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Might I suggest continuing this discussion in the TKD forum ???

5. imonetwo

imonetwo New Member

Rhee TKD

Thats exactly what this is.!!!! A discussion on the school of Rhee TKD

6. rtkd-badger

Thats strange, I was taught to change from back stance to front stance before executing the knife hand strike, I graded in front of Master Rhee Chong Chul and he didnt correct me on this.

7. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Just so we are thinking of exactly the same thing:

The first move is twin forearm block in a right back stance. (left arm forearm block, right raising block/high section block)

Second move is: extend left arm and grab. Pull left arm into chest while executing an outer knife hand strike with your right hand. (think of grabbing someone by the hair and pulling them into your strike). This is still in the same back stance

The third move is step into an extended back stance (move your left foot foward more) and execute a side punch from your right back stance.

OK, that's the first three moves. Or how i've been taught anyway. Has everyone in your class been taught that way Badger? usually if there are alot of students going through with bad technique Rhee will pick on the instructor, not the student. It would be the instructors fault for not teaching correct technique. Ask your instructor about it.

/Xio

8. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

9. rtkd-badger

Yes everyone, Maybe this is something that should be brought to the attention of our Regional Instructor?? We have Gradings this Saturday (so wish me luck) and I will be sure to watch the green belts and see if they all change the stance or if only some do. I will keep you posted

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

well good luck then :)

and do keep us posted :)

11. rtkd-badger

Thank you Maam *BOW*

12. imonetwo

imonetwo New Member

Rhee Techniques

Yes Xio you are right, sometimes black belts interpret a technique in a way that feels right to them, however they do so without fully understanding what is required. For instance in Yul Gok Hyung, I have seen many senior Black Belts perform the 23rd movement as a high section side kick, when it should be midsection, the reason why it is a midsection kick is very easy to understand. The midsection side kick is necessary to double your opponent over in such a way that you can grab the head from behind and execute a elbow strike to the head. If the kick was a high section side kick your opponent would no longer be in a position for the grab or elbow strike, as he would be pushed back too far from the attack. I might add that I have seen many black belts from other styles of ITF also make this simple mistake. The answer to this is to always ask your instructor what specific combinations are for and if it doesnt seem logical, ask again.
    Good luck on Sat Badger though somehow I dont think you will need it :)
    BTW If any of you are every in Victoria, you are most welcome to train with myself and my club in Noble Park.
    PS. Rhee TaeKwon-Do ( Noble Park ) is now 2 black belts stronger.

13. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

Forward stances? Back Stances? Wat the heck ? You guys have some really messed up tetms over there. As for the movements, the stances stay the same for the twin forearm block and the knifehand strike (both in an L stance) and then moves into a fixed stance for the side punch.

14. rtkd-badger

Thank you sir for your well wishes and your invitation to train with you, if I am ever in that area I will most definatly take you up on that offer.
    Also congratulations to you and your 2 new 1st Dan students.

15. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

NReese...

Dear NReese,

Please understand that the Walking stance and the L-stance are both specific to the ITF and are relatively new terms in the history of martial arts (as is the sitting stance, fixed stance, ect.)

Karate was the main style in Korea during and immediately following the occupation (Karate=Tang Soo Do)...therefore the terminology carried over, even in the original texts of Gen. Choi he uses the terms Front Stance (a longer walking stance), Back Stance (Displaced L-Stance), Horse Stance (extended sitting stance), ect.

Many dojangs which are viewed as ITF "style" TKD still teach the 20 pattern set of hyungs (tuls), and still preform the movements accordingly!

Remeber TKD as created by Choi Hong Hi was a work in progress until 1983!

TAEKWON
    Spookey

16. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Yes, that's some top advice. When your doing your patterns/Hyungs or just learning them make sure you learn if completely (know every technique and stance perfectly and it's usage). By understanding what the technique your executing actually does you'll feel better using it and will be able to improve if you know it's purpose. And really don't be afraid to ask, NEVER BE AFRAID TO ASK. It really matters that you understand all your techniques and combinations for when you go for your 1st Dan and maybe want to instruct.

ok, Good luck badger, i'm sure you'll pass easy. Yes keep us posted about your grading.

/Xio

17. Taekwonfox

Taekwonfox New Member

In Competitions you find people do there best to kick as high as posibble, even if the kick is supposed to be middle section. the reason being is to show your flexibility and control. its a lot easier to hold a middle section side kick than a high section side kick. I've never seen anyone do it at a grading but I think almost everyone does it at competitions, I was at an open in Italy last year and almost all the kicks that people did were high section.

18. rtkd

rtkd Z-boyz

yeah i have seen that also that some people do side kicks always at head height. the thing is if the pattern calls for a high kick u do a high kick. If it calls for a mid section kick then do a mid section kick. If people are doing it to show how flexible they are and how controlled they r, then in my book and in most peoples book they arent doing the pattern right. Mid section kicks especially for side kick are common because u are aiming for the largest part of the body, and its very risky to try and side kick someones head for if u dont connect it leaves u in a bad position.

19. rtkd-badger

Well as you can see from my sig I passed with flying colours. The day was as hot as hell and I thought I was going to dehydrate but I got there.

20. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Nice work.
    Our last grading was a hot one too. I'm looking forward to going for my BB in february next year. Heh, THAT WILL BE HOT.

/Xio