Defendo / Combato?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jimmy Jitsu, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Jimmy Jitsu

Jimmy Jitsu Valued Member

Hi I am really interested in the Defedo / Combato ww11 fighting tactis does anyone know where you can get a book or instruction manual on it? I know there are a couple of schools in Canada. Does anyone know if there are schools in NY.

2. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

World War ELEVEN?! How long did I fall asleep for?!!!!oneoneone

3. Judecca

Judecca New Member

LMAO

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

LOL :D Where are the lazer guns and flying tanks?

Anyways, back to subject :)

Jimmy Jitsu, have you checked out the Defendo website? You should be able to find out some useful information from there.

You also might be able to find some books at such places as Amazon.com

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  5. Sinster One

Sinster One New Member

Combato / Defendo

Hey Jimmy,

Combato and Defendo were both developed by the same person - Bill Underwood. Bill was a Canadian who developed Combato during WWI. He was involved with the SOE, OSS, and BSC, during WWII and taught at the famed "Camp-X". Camp-X was located in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, and this was where all secret agents (ie. spies and assassins) in North America, (Both U.S. and Canada) were trained before they were dropped behind enemy lines. Anyone trained at Camp-X was sent overseas on top-secret clandestine operations. This was dangerous work and often consisted of one-way missions. These guys and gals needed something in the way of unarmed combat that was extremely effective. They got it...

Combato was designed specifically for killing.

There is nothing "Nice" about Combato. If you ever get a chance to see it, I guarantee that it will curdle you blood. Combato is simple and extremely effective and the outcome is always the same - Death. It consists of open handed stikes, neck or spine manipulation (often one-handed), with the intent to kill.

I have literally travelled the world and have studied various styles of martial arts for about 20 years now, and I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen anything that comes close to Combato in terms of effectiveness. Quite frankly it scares me.

It obviously scares the Canadian Government too, as everything about the system has been classified and locked up. They won't even allow the Canadian Special Forces to learn it because they are concerned about legal liability - That's the Canadian government for you!

As I understand, Bill Underwood died in 1986, and most of the people, if not all, that were trained in Combato at Camp-X, are dead. Either they were killed in action, or at this point, they have died of natural causes (ie. old age). I do know for a fact that there is at least one person out there that knows the complete original system, but if you are just and average Joe off the street, then there is no way in hell that you will get to learn Combato. Defendo on the other hand is another story.

Bill Underwood developed Defendo after WWII to be used by Law Enforcement. He basically revamped his Combato system and turned it into a defensive system without the leathality. Hence the name "Defendo". Bill taught Defendo to government and law enforcement agencies all over North America right up until his death.

A lot of people claim to know and to teach "Defendo" and maybe they even know some, but the only people that I know of that teach Bill Underwood's complete original system are the people with "Underwood Systems". (www.underwoodsystems.com)

If you are learning a punching system, then it is not true Defendo. Bill Underwood was a big believer in open-handed strikes. If you've ever punched a skull, you'll know why! Bill was known to proclaim that an agent behind enemy lines with a broken hand was no good to anybody. Both Combato and Defendo are based on this philosophy.

Defendo is all about "Maintaining the pain". It is a simple and highly effective system to learn. If you do find someone that teaches it, then I would definitely recommend you to give it a go. It is definitly worth learning.

Just remember, if someone claims to teach Defendo, find out their back-ground and make sure that you are getting what you are paying for.
    If someone is claiming to teach you "Combato", you can bet all you've got on the fact that it is not the real deal. There are several organizations out there that have "Borrowed" the names of "Defendo" or "Combato". As with anything, do you research and check their back-ground before you part ways with your hard-earned dollars...

Hope this helps.

6. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I've seen some of the Defendo/SOE stuff in full swing and it is really very brutal. If you get taught it well it is nasty! You use a lot of chops and so on and everything even when you practice it is done with maximum agression.