101 things to do when you're injured

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ghost Frog, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Ok, starting from two premises:

(a) We all get injured from time to time and can't train.
    (b) We spent loads of time on MA forums when we're injured 'cos we can't train. :)

Can everyone put down their ideas for keeping yourself occupied/ less frustrated when you've got an injury? That way, everyone who comes on here can find something on the list that will help them out!

Anything is good, whether exercise related, psychological or just amusing. :D

Here are some to start us off:

1. Make sure you get the right treatment and a decent physio so that you're doing everything you can to make sure the injury will heal, and to lessen the chance that it will recur.

2. If you get given exercises to do by the hospital/physio, do them!!

3. If the hospital/ physio tells you not to do your sport for a certain period of time, don't!!

4. Make a plan to maintain your fitness and work on aspects of training that don't stress the injury. Now is the time to go for those push-up, sit-up, pull-up, squat records that you don't normally have time for. Then you can start threads about them on MAP. :D

5. Make sure that you keep stretching as much as possible so that you can still reach the tv remote without having to stand up.

6. Read Art of War and Book of the Samurai then learn all the most amusing quotes out of them to say to your mates when you get back training.

7. Examine your training programme and plan how to improve it in order to reduce injury risks. If you keep a training log, try and see any patterns in your training that increase the risk of injury, e.g. 35 consecutive nights of full contact sparring.

8. Create a photo comic of all your training partners using photoshop.

9. Watch classes. Go down your normal class and watch, if you can. You can learn loads by watching other people and it will keep your brain working (and your social life, if it's that type of club).

10. Spend ridiculous amounts of time on MAP.

11. Try and resist eating pie and chips every night to cheer yourself up. It'll take ages to shift that belly.

12. Now is the time to watch your mates collection of UFC/Pride/"3000 karate breaking techniques" Dvds.

13. Buy some MA books that people have recommended. Read them.

14. Buy two Action Men on ebay and take pics of them posed in grappling positions.

15. If you're on crutches, work out some strike combos using them.

16. Maybe now is the time to give Tai-Chi a go?

17. If you have a cast on, work out a potential tattoo design for your forearm and draw it on with biro.

18. Practise seated and one-handed techniques.

19. Take the long view. If you presume that you're going to train until you're 75, most people have got plenty of sessions left in them. :D

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I like to watch Chop-Saki movies and watch the training/rebuilding parts and wonder if it might just work. Some of it has helped I think!??! :D

3. slayed

slayed New Member

20: Buy / rent books about the current martial arts

21: Do technques in your mind and picture them

22: visit MAP =D

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Erm... were all of those not already listed?

If you have an injured limb, do strength training on the other side. This actually helps to rehabilitate the injured leg somewhat and helps to retain strength. Strange but true.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Some great tips there GhostFrog ... as I mentioned in chat there seems to be a high percentage of injuries here on MAP (... and maybe that is why the increase in posting activity (??) :D )

My personal favorite is to watch cheesy HK flicks ... and of course JVD movies ;) ;) ;)

I haven't been severely injured except for that mean fall that set me back a few weeks.... and I found myself spending more time here. :)

6. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

watch Crippled Masters. Guaranteed to make you laugh if you're injured.

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Number 10 is a no-go for me :(...

Cant spend any more than 24 hours a day on MAP :D

8. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

If you're an electronic/RC freak like me, you could always wrench on your RC car! :D:D:D There's always room for improvement in performance...;)

9. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Solve a rubix cube.

10. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

That just leads to years of anger management and more injuries...:D

11. robbjedi

robbjedi New Member

I can solve any rubiks cube in 30 seconds seriously :) spent a month figuring it out actually gave me quite strong wrists :) lol

12. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

gobble on nothing but big macs and pizza so that you gain 40 lbs and actually have something to "do" (namely, get back on shape) when you're not injured anymore :D

13. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Go trolling on the Health and Fitness forum for the sake of karmic justice. :D