Kuji in/kiri

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Miran, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Miran

Miran Valued Member

I'm not particularly interested in the spiritual aspects of kiji but I don't like mistification surrounding it so I'd like to clear this up.Is it so secret or nobody actually asks about THE AUTHENTIC nine symbols (in).I don't mean rin,pyo,jin...or whatsoever!I mean ninpo in symbols.I found out the two of them (no symbolism nor order though):uchijishi no in (does anyone know how to write this in kanji) and akuma fudo no in.
    Uchijishi-uniting action,reality (circumstances) and intention;
    Akuma Fudo-Immobilizing the devil;

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  2. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Many ninjutsu practioners never learn this nowadays and it very rare to find someone who teaches it. I do know that Tanemura Sensei is one of the highest level kuji practioners in the world. But again this is Hiden. Go train Miran. Your answers are in the Taijutsu.

3. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

It's mystifying because people automatically connotate kuji with ninja magic. Kuji ( 九字 ) is a Buddhist spiritual practice and was not invented by ninja. I have studied Buddhism for a long time, and I actually learned kuji before I started any martial arts training, so when I saw that ninja used kuji, I thought "sure, why not."

Also, another common misconception people have is because "kuji" is the generic term for hand symbols - called the "nine syllables" or "nine seals;" "nine slashes" etc. etc. some think there are only nine of them. There are in fact hundreds, or at least one hundred that I have seen.

"Rin pyou tou sha kai jin retsu zai zen" - is often called "the nine syllables." and is a phrase (one of many) that one can chant while performing certain hand mudra.

q.v. http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=228123#post228123

I think in that same thread I posted this link which is useful:

http://www.geocities.com/fascin8or/jsp_kuji.htm

It clears up the difference between kuji no in, and kuji kiri - both are a small subjection of sanmitsu (the three mysteries; the uniting of thought, word, and action).

For a modern interpretation of sanmitsu, do some research on NLP (neuro-linguistic programming).

Miran: "uchijishi no in (does anyone know how to write this in kanji)"

Not sure if this is correct, but it's the only thing I can find: 家実施 (uchi-jishi, lit. "household enforcement," putting things into practice or action).

"Uchijishi-uniting action,reality (circumstances) and intention;"

"and akuma fudo no in."

悪魔不動 (akuma fudo, "devil immobile").

xplazma: "Go train Miran. Your answers are in the Taijutsu."

You do realize that this is such a generic and worthless response, right? It's another way of saying, "I don't know how to answer your question, and I don't think you should worry about it anyway."

Please note that Miran was not asking how to do kuji or ninja magic, etc., but rather asking about the nature of such practice.

Those answers are not "in the Taijutsu." If the question was, "How do I do ninja magic?" then the answer would be, "go train."

4. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Thats the point. Today there are too many people that instead of training, just read book and research. If you want to know about these aspects, just train and many answers will come when you reach them.

5. Miran

Miran Valued Member

Come on guys,let's not gouge each-others eyes over this.I'm sorry if you misunderstood me Xplasma.Sshh,you got my point.
    Everybody seems to be quite ****ed off over kuji in being displayed to the public as a string of nine "samurai" (as I like to call them) mudras.Even Sensei Hatsumi disaproves this.So,what are we going to do about it?I agree that taijutsu is the key for achieving spiritual powers but that's not what I'm interested in.Even if you would get some super-secret scroll on kuji I wouldn't recommend messing with it without a proper guidance and even so...A few years ago at one seminar a 5th dan Sensei from Canada (I suppose it would not be appropriate to write down his name) explained that kuji has to do with spiritualism and conjuring good spirits to speed up your progress but,as he stated,there is a possibility of summoning an evil spirit by mistake (that is if "you are not of a pure heart").This is why I think it's so important to posses a benevolent heart (jihi no kokoro).When I think of it I saw Sensei Tanemura performing kuji kiri "before his ancestors" in the "Way of the warrior" on Discovery channel.
    Sshh,Akuma Fudo should mean "immobilizing/paralizing the devil" (悪魔不動) and what do you think of this interpretation of uchijisshi-打ち実志.
    Just to clear this up:I WANT TO KNOW ONLY HOW TO ENTWINE FINGERS FOR EACH OF THESE NINE,WHAT IS THE CORRECT ORDER,HOW ARE THEY CALLED/WRITTEN!I'm not interested in their spiritual value,vizualizations,mantra,etc.This is simply an informative inquiery.So if Sensei Takamatsu and Sensei Hatsumi could strike poses before the camera exposing these "highly secret" mudras not revealing their essence than will it hurt to show their appearance to the public?

Attached Files:

6. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

This Book, might have the answers/definitions/explanations you are looking for. I had a copy, gave it to my teacher (turns out he had a copy) and left it at the old dojo for a loaner. Has lots of excellent information in it.
    By the way, welcome to MAP Miran.

7. Miran

Miran Valued Member

Thanks Kurohana though even if I had money it would be painstaking process (where I come from banks allow you to receive cash from abroad but do not permit you to make payments abroad except to your closest relatives [read:family members]by law).

8. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

blah

xplasma: "Thats the point. Today there are too many people that instead of training, just read book and research. If you want to know about these aspects, just train and many answers will come when you reach them."

As you can see, and like I said. That is not the case here.

Miran: "Just to clear this up:I WANT TO KNOW ONLY HOW TO ENTWINE FINGERS FOR EACH OF THESE NINE,WHAT IS THE CORRECT ORDER,HOW ARE THEY CALLED/WRITTEN!I'm not interested in their spiritual value,vizualizations,mantra,etc.This is simply an informative inquiery."

Besides, there is nothing wrong with intellectual curiosity. Physical training is the best way to improve physical skills and to understand the art at a deep level, but it is a hard way to learn history, terminology, and categorical information.

Some people like to do one, others like to do the other, some (like myself) like to do both.

Miran: "Come on guys,let's not gouge each-others eyes over this."

I don't see any eye-gouging. ??

"Everybody seems to be quite ****ed off over kuji in being displayed to the public..."

Depends on how it is done. I've seen kuji being done in movies, books, and even cartoons. It's not too big of a deal. Then again, it is a centuries-old Buddhist spiritual practice, and those people that are serious about it, when they see someone messing around with things they don't understand might take offense at it. Quick and dirty analogy I can make right now would be if a noncatholic did the sign of the cross, or simulated taking communion without understanding any of the symbolism behind it. I'm not catholic, so I wouldn't give a darn, but a serious catholic would look at it and call it a profane act or something similar.

And for those superstitious enough to think you're going to conjure a demon if you cross your second finger over your fourth when you were supposed to cross your fourth over the second . . . they would caution you against playing with something potentially powerful and dangerous.

I believe that you can screw yourself up if you try anything like kuji without understanding exactly what you're doing, but just playing around with finger knots that you see in a book or in some movie should be harmless.

"Sshh,Akuma Fudo should mean "immobilizing/paralizing the devil" (悪魔不&#21205 )"

That's what I said, or at least what I said is equivalent/synonymous. Oh, and you have to put a space between parentheses and kanji or else you might get a random smilie!

"...and what do you think of this interpretation of uchijisshi-打ち実志."

uchi 打ち means to hit/collide/bring together, jitsu 実 means truth/reality, shi 志 means will/intention/motive. Seems to be what you first offered, "Uchijishi-uniting action,reality (circumstances) and intention."

It's a lot easier to look up with the proper romanization (uchijisshi = uchi jitsu shi) which is a lot different (in Japanese) to "uchijishi" (= uchi ji shi).

See how difficult the Japanese language is kids!

9. telecino

telecino New Member

I totaly agree with sshh. Kuji-in is buddhist, not a ninjutsu practice. It just happens that buddhist ninjas practice it.

There is no secret revealed when a master strikes a pose in front of the camera while doing a mudra. The secret is the experience lived by the seeker of higher wisdom and it cannot be revealed by doing a mudra (hand sign) on camera.

Kuji-in teachers do not put great effort at hiding the secrets of kuji-in, the secret hides itself as it is a lived experience of expanding consciousness. Of course, in order not to lose energy in useless blable, teachers of kuji-in will not walk in the streets telling everyone about the techniques. For a new student to be available in his mind to the new experience, it is preferable that the first time he ears about the kuji-in concepts is when he is putting a real effort in learning it for real. Thos kuji-in lurkers that know a bit of every aspect but never did the profound process, will have trouble remaining available to the new knowledge from a competant teacher since the mind of the student will allways be replying with "ha, i allready know about that."

A little is said to the public to inform the possiblities to new seekers but not enough to ruin their learning experience. Kuji-in is learn thru a process of self-discovery, whlie doing the application of the ritual technique. The more the technique is repeated in a conscious meditative state, the more the consciousness expands and the knowledge of the experience becomes concret enough to be grasped by the human mind, thus, knowledge appears in the mind thru revelation. Any buddhist who transcenced will understand.

10. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I'm Mr. K

And I moderate here and "Other". And I have a tendency to delete off topic posts, as you may have noticed.