Why do you practice MA?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ikthius, Sep 23, 2004.

?

Why do you do MA?

1. Health & Fitness

41.5%
  2. To be a good street fighter

20.2%
  3. To be a good competition fighter

14.9%
  4. To make it to grandmaster level or as near as

16.0%
  5. To look & feel cool

13.8%
  6. Just a hobby

16.0%
  7. It is social

14.9%
  8. To give me more confidence

30.9%
  9. For self defence

43.6%
  10. Mixture of above (please state in your post)

43.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ikthius

ikthius New Member

A wee poll to see why people practice MA?

I am choosing a mixture, because i practice MA because it is good for my health and fitness, it is my favourite hobby, I have made good friends there, and I would like to go as far as I can in my style.

ik

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  2. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I started in the early eighties because I wanted to be tough and to get a Black belt, as I got older the Black belt became less important and the self defence became my main aim to be able to handle any situation which might of arisen, by the time I achieved Black belt my fitness and well being became the most important and still is.

3. firesprite

firesprite Irate Pirate

Probably a mixture of confidence, self defence, a hobby, fighting in competitions, fitness a generous dose of insanity, though I wouldn't say no to being a master :D
    ...so almost all of the above
    also because I needed to do a sport for the duke of edinburgh scheme at school, and though I never finished the scheme I kept training ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  4. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

When I first started muay thai it was just the self defence aspect that I was interested. But when I started I realised just how unfit I was. I could lift big weights but had no stamina cardio fitness or endurance. So now instead of just focusing on one thing I am trying to bring all aspects of fitnesss up to a high standard. But the most important part for me is being able to look after myself, friends and familly.

5. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

I practice Ju-Jitsu for health, social reasons but mainly because I wanted to learn a TMA that was also adaptable and useful for self defence.

My aim now is to be as good a MAist as I can be and also be able to effectively defend myself and people I care about to the best of my abilities.

PS Lady_Calynne it's Edinburgh and not Edinborough. Apologies for being such a spelling nazi but I can't bear my home town's name being butchered like that :D

6. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

I began because it looked cool, like a lot of teens during the early 90's, thanks in part to the damn Karate Kid movies. After I reached the point where I realized, "I'm actually pretty good," I took it for self-confidence. Then when my first true serious harm test came, I realized my MA training as a self-defense method. That's when I started to cross-train, get my game to a decent level enough to defend myself. Learning from my cross-training, I finally than began fighting for competition, because after all the work, you realize how satisfying and how fun it is to, for the sake of a better word, fight.

7. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

kung fu

originally it was because of the70's tv show with David Caradine,I just wanted to be like him,in fact I still do.

8. dori_kin_86

dori_kin_86 Hu Flung Pu

I started Ryukyu Kempo for a few reasons. 1. I wanted to learn and be able to defend myself, family, and friends. 2. I wanted to become a good street fighter (just in case it was needed) 3. I want to become GM or high as possible.

9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

fitness, self defense, and competition. I don't like team sports, and it doesnt get much more personal than in a ring.

10. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

I don't [​IMG]

11. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I started to spend more time with my son, then started to see the health benifits. After each lesson I became more addicted. Now I have got the wife involved it is a family affair and we have met so many great people to go with it. Only regret is that I didnt start earlier.

12. Adam

Adam New Member

For fun and to satisfy my urge to get hurt every once in a while.

13. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

On the streets officers need every advantage they can get..Studying the MA gives me that advantage..It also assists by instilling confidence.. A lot of the "bay guys" and sense if your if your just running your mouth or if push comes top shove that you will shove back HARDER....

14. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

My reason is very simple - I enjoy it. As soon as I stop enjoying it, I won't do it any more. :)

I voted 'mixture', because I also like the fitness benefits, and at uni I got a lot out of the social side of the club. Plus, I love the flashy stuff - its just a shame there are almost no clubs out that that focus on merely leaping around the room doing backflips and spinning through the air happily kicking away. It seems that MAs don't like to advertise themselves as anything other than 'the ultimate self-defence!' etc, whether or not they can actually back up their claims.

Also a shame that its nigh on impossible to find an adult gymnastics class. :cry:

15. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I started for no reason at all, or I just can't remember. My local gym opened a Kickboxing class and I went. I really don't know why I attended the class, but I sure no why I continue to do MA. I like to work on my self, practice. I never feel I know something completely I always think I should practice more to perfection. When I reach a certain level I’m happy with I move on to something else and so on.

I will only be happy when I’ll have done a complete training of standup, grappling and weapons (more on the self defence aspect). I'm kind of done with stand-up so I'll move on to grappling this year. I have a long way ahead of me.

The only thing I can see from the list that expresses me is the I want to know how to fight option, and it’s the street aspect I care about. (Ironically getting in a streetlight where I live is very hard, you must be the one to start it and that goes against the most principles of MA).

All the other stuff , fitness, stamina , look and feel cool , hobby e.t.c are important for me but if I didn't do MA I would do something else for them.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I continue to train because if I stopped I would realise that I don't actually have a life ;)

17. Uriel

Uriel New Member

i do ma for health & fitness, for confidence, to socialize, to look good & feel cool :D, & for self defence... i plan on one day being a good comp fighter too

18. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

For me it started as a self defence thing (would say that self defence and street fighting are similar in terms of way of fighting)

Has lead to a lot more for me though,
    I have done a few competitions, and I feel that how well I do in the competitions is a reflection on my confidence, and ability to apply techniques under pressure.

through that I have concentraterd on my health and fitness moreso than I have in my life.

I would like to say I would like to reach Grandmaster level - but being someone with a 9-5 job to support myself (more like 8-6) I don't have the time to do that much training, but I am pushing myself as much as possible to get as far as I can.

19. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It's cheaper than beer and the company's better than clubbing.

20. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Beer, maybe, but you can get pretty drunk on a £2.75 bottle of vodka... :p